Notices

2.4 'Perfourmance' Block. How much is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 08:34 PM
G5SVX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 'Perfourmance' Block. How much is too much?

This is my first post. So hello.
I've been modding my car for the last 9 years (330bhp/295lbs/APbrakes/bilsteinPPS9s/front intercooler/etc.etc). The body/handling/brakes/reliability are all great.
At 133000 miles the engine has got smoky and the gearbox has little sychro left.

So I've just bought a 2.4 litre 'Perfourmance'(PMS) short engine (based on a closed-deck EJ22 block), with billet crank, cons, forged 'Ross' pistons, flowed and ported heads, Motec M800, and loads of other stuff.
I have a 6 speed uk box with diffs and props,etc, and I will get whatever clutch suits the power.

The question is; how much power should I target?
My original target was 450bhp/400lbs. The block/crank I ended up buying was higher spec than originally planned. The manufacturer says 450bhp for all its products (I understand liability law), but what I've bought has some options(closed-deck, billet crank, larger head bolts). Based on the fact that lots of products are under-rated by their makers (e.g. AP clutches rated to 350lbs, that take 450+lbs happily), I was hoping someone could give me the low-down.

How much is too much power for this block/crank/cons/bearings/etc?

I'll make sure it's fuelled, cooled, and generally set up properly, but what's the target figure?

I still use it as an everyday car (although I have a Subaru SVX for my sensible days), so I'd like the engine to last more than 10000 miles and give me some torque below 3500.

Any knowledge of the real potential, based on experience, is more than I have right now. So......?

p.s.Although it's a Legacy, I hope nobody's racist out there. We're all Impreza drivers under the skin....
Old 08 March 2006, 06:03 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!
I'm surprised that you have had little response from the Big Guys over your question; so, a suggestion.
Replicate the question in 'Projects' section and bbs.22b.com and you will get the answer and a shed load of questions too.

Graham.