Notices

JDM ej20g on a usdm 95 impreza L PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2006, 06:39 AM
xtian
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy JDM ej20g on a usdm 95 impreza L PROBLEM

Hi guys.. ive been having problems concerning my swap... so basicly heres the rundown.. i have a 95 impreza L thats has a jdm 94 version1 ej20g.. a shop has performed the swap for me..and after i got my car back.. ive encountered a violent cut off as soon as i hit 4k rpms on a higher load gear(3rd,4th,5th).. i researchd about this problem on other forums.. RS25.com ,nasioc etc.. and not much help there.. i asked my tech to check the vehicle speed sensor.. and he told me all the wires were wired right and speedo is solid. i upgraded my fuel pump to a walbro 255 and i run 93 octane always. we also checked the boost.. by installing a boost gauge and boost is solid. after all this.. still no luck.. now hes currently checking my maf and map.. and hopefully itll lead us somewhere or atleast narrow out the problem. what could it be? any ideas guys? im just very fraustrated having my car down at the shop for more than 2 months and getting her back not running right seems to depress me.. im losing hope.. motor feels very strong.. but the cut off doesnt make it fun.. seems like its on limp/safe mode. and worst part is.. there are no CEL! so theres no means of diagnostics.. any suggestions and opinions would be greatly apriciated.. hopefully u guys from here could help me out a lil.. thanks! so all you ej20g's gurus.. i need your help
Old 23 February 2006, 09:49 AM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Well, I'm no expert by scoobynet standards but it sounds like something that happened to me once, driving in high load gear and suddenly lose power on acceleration - and by suddenly i mean there was a bang as the transmission backlashed under engine braking I had a look on here and the closest thing that i could find relating to it was the boost control solenoid might need a clean. I was going to do this as it is a simple enough job as far as I can tell, but the car's never done this since so at present its on my list of things to do but not at the top. However I notice that you've got a jap spec engine - these should only be run on 97 RON fuel minimum AFAIK, although I don't think this would cause the problem you're experiencing

Mine's a UK spec MY98 btw

Pete
Old 23 February 2006, 09:55 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't run 93 octane on a JDM impreza! Use octane booster until you get it remapped!

So, can you hit full boost up to the redline in 1st and 2nd? It only affects 3rd,4th and 5th????? Could be fuel cut, your car is running to much boost. I've had this problem before, I fixed it temporarly with a Dawes Device. Really needs a remap TBH.

Only a suggestion!!
Old 23 February 2006, 11:12 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I think the guy is using US 93 octane which is better than Uk 97
Old 23 February 2006, 11:15 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

It's probablty 93 MON not RON!
Old 23 February 2006, 06:52 PM
xtian
Scooby Newbie

hi.. thanks for the reply guys.. regarding the boost issue.. we tried eliminating it buy temporarily installing a manual boost controller set 12 psi.. now boost is solid.. but still does the cut off.. as for the full boost at redline.. i never really got on the car since im afriad to mess anything up.. but yeah.. i could hit full boost mostly at 2nd..coz its hard to build boost at 1st.. and yeah 93 octone here is the highest octane pump gas im my area.. alot of cars with jdm swaps use em for daily driving..

but can it be a maf /map sensor problem? maybe its busted or not working properly and the car is on safe/limp mode because of this????

and as the cleaning of the boost soleniod, mines not even connected anymore.. boost is being controlled by a MBC set at 12psi

"I fixed it temporarly with a Dawes Device. Really needs a remap TBH."

sorry for being a noob..but whats a dawes device? and TBH?

again.. thanks for the reply guys!
Old 23 February 2006, 11:53 PM
xtian
Scooby Newbie

^^^^ttt
Old 24 February 2006, 05:22 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coil packs? Take them out, take of the rubber nipple and inspect the ends. The ends split and crack and then the spark can jump.
spark plugs?
Old 24 February 2006, 07:57 PM
xtian
Scooby Newbie

ahh..ok.. good to know.. thanks!
Old 24 February 2006, 07:58 PM
xtian
Scooby Newbie

any other info? why dont i have a check engine light on when this is happenning?!??! any thoughts?
Old 24 February 2006, 08:03 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Dawes Device - A make of manual boost controller!

TBH - To be honest!