Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2006, 12:09 AM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP for MY06 WRX?

[Prodrive Performance Pack]

Hi,

I've got a MY06 WRX on order and fancy doing the PPP. I phoned prodrive who said the packs were undergoing final testing (emissions etc) and would be ready from end of Feb, though it might take a while for stock to filter out.

Does anyone else have more news? Price? Likely power improvements with the revised 2.5 engine?

Can anyone give a general view on increased exhaust noise after PPP? Is it much louder than standard? (I'd like it not to be!)

(My previous 2002 STi had power engineering ECUtek tweaks and nothing else. This took power from 260 to anout 290 and the car felt loads better. Might do this even though it stuffs the warranty).

cheers.
Old 16 February 2006, 12:19 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Not seen anymore info - waiting to see what the Forester pack looks like myself..
PPP normally will give a nice exhaust note without being too loud..
Old 16 February 2006, 09:19 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Default MY05 PPP and exhaust noise

Originally Posted by Bartop
Not seen anymore info - waiting to see what the Forester pack looks like myself..
PPP normally will give a nice exhaust note without being too loud..
Forester with PPP would be a great q-car!

I'm guessing the PPP will take the MY05 WRX to around 270bhp and around 275 lb.ft.

I prefer to attract less attention, so a quiet exhaust = good.

Come to think of it, I think the standard STi has the loudness just about right ... anyone know how the exhaust noise of a PPP WRX compare to a standard STi?
Old 19 February 2006, 11:08 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Default Re: PPP for MY06 + exhaust sound files

I'm trying to get a feel for what a PPP'd WRX sounds like. I'd like it slightly noiser than standard or about the same as a stock STi would be ok for me.

WRX 'exhaust noise' files: http://vrsm.vividracing.com/main/wrxsounds/

I've found this link (above) to a bunch of raw 'exhaust sounds' files! Have to work out the setup from the file name. The PPP'd WRX mp3 sounds really nice, but thinking this might just be too loud for general family/work use.

I'll obviously have to find a test car to drive (& listen to), but in the meantime ... anyone got any views on their WRX PPP for general use as a work/family car for when they're not hooning around?

cheers.
Old 19 February 2006, 11:20 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

You'll get a better result by ECUteking it I'd of thought. Sound like you half made your mind up to stuff the warranty anyway

For £1600 quid you could go for a full miltek exhaust and K&N and get circa 330BHP (2.5 STi)
not sure of power figures on the wrx.

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 19 February 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 19 February 2006, 11:26 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vertew

i have a my06 sti type uk and will be getting the basic ecutek job done on mine as part of the group buy here: http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=492944

the ecutek way will give you a map that is tailored to your car as opposed to a general one size fits all map for the PPP.
Old 19 February 2006, 11:29 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
... Sound like you half made your mind up to stuff the warranty anyway

Andy
This will be my 4th scoob since 1997 and I've never had anything go wrong with any of them. Guess you don't need a warranty until you need it ... but think I might pull anaother chance card and do a custom map .. !
Old 19 February 2006, 11:32 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

warranty will only be invalid if the engine/turbo lets go but everything else will be fine, at least that's what I am hoping as my warranty will also be dust.
Old 19 February 2006, 11:47 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
the ecutek way will give you a map that is tailored to your car as opposed to a general one size fits all map for the PPP.
True and it worked so well on my MY02 STi.

[off topic]

I drove the MY06 STi recently and was very impressed. Worthwhile improvements over my MY02 ... LOTS more torque, better engine response + sharper turn-in / less understeer being obvious. Generally seemed less effort to drive fast.

I was going to hang in there for the Spec D STi, but I drove an MY06 WRX and think these have really moved on since I last had one. I'll skip the STi this time and maybe pick up one again in 2009 (if they still make them *gulp*) !

andrew.
Old 22 February 2006, 10:06 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

this will be the last revision of the current impreza we are led to believe - mind you it might be like the "last Status Quo concert" type thing
Old 23 February 2006, 08:56 AM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Speak to Pete at PROSPORT in Stockport Manchester (0161 432 9999), They have Just mapped an imported 2.5 STI Forrester with Richard Bulmar at 390 Pounds of Torque and around 335 Hp on the new 2.5 with just a backbox! I was taken for a test drive in it at the last WR1 meet they had there a few weeks back, its a monster!
I wouldnt wast your time waiting for a stock Pro-Drive conversion which will no doubt fall well short of the figures acheived above.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:07 AM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
this will be the last revision of the current impreza we are led to believe - mind you it might be like the "last Status Quo concert" type thing
Some the Subaru concept stuff I've seen is pretty scary. Hope they don't lose the plot and replace the impreza with some bizarre suv thingy.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:19 AM
vertew
Scooby Regular

That's a serious improvement! Will be interesting to hear as more people get to work on the 2.5 engine.

On an Ecutec custom map only (eg. no exhaust changes), I'd be very happy too see anything over 270bhp on a 2.5 WRX.
Old 24 February 2006, 06:10 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

vertew

As you are probably aware, we are very close to the performance packages for the 06MY WRX, STi & Forester XT being available and are currently undergoing the homolgation testing.

Until that testing is complete we can't confirm the final power and torque figures but our expectation is that we will have more power than the comparitive 05MY packages but the real benefit will be to torque and overall drivability. In fact the cars are that smooth I can see us having issues with some customers thinking that they aren't producing the figures we quote as they are so progressive. No change there then With this in mind we will be testing the cars at several different rolling road facilities to compare the figures to our dyno data before quoting the final numbers.

I think the noise will be to your liking as well although I don't think it'll be nearly noisy enough for some but it will be legal which is the important thing

To answer some of the other points in the thread (again ), the ECU used on the 06MY cars is a new design compared to older Impreza models and has many more features included that we have had to investigate fully over the months that we've been developing the packages. Bearing this in mind, with respect, the view that our 'one size fits all' calibration is inferior to one done on a particular car in a very limited period of time, in one set of atmospheric and weather conditons on one particular fuel is a complete nonsense. Our calibration may be specific to one set of hardware, but it designed to get the best out of the engine across all it's potential operating conditions and be safe in any eventuality. With modern, very adaptable ECUs it is simply not necessary to calibrate every one individually if you've done the job thoroughly in the first place and the hardware is the same.

Regards

Mike
Old 24 February 2006, 06:30 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

a good point well made Mike.
Old 24 February 2006, 06:35 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Mike,

I pick my MY06 up on Wednesday and will be getting the PPP when avaliable but can you give us some sneak peak details. Obviously you said you can't give power figures but will the WRX package have a replacement downpipe ala the STi, or will it be backbox and ecu? Also have you found the new intercooler to be of any concern given you said the figures will probably be more than the MY05 265bhp? I got a bit of a shock looking in the engine bay last weekend when i went to view the car...... never thought the intercooler would have gone smaller (larger capacity engine, small turbo maybe the reason??)

Thanks,

Tony.
Old 24 February 2006, 06:45 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Interesting
Old 24 February 2006, 06:55 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KK3960
Speak to Pete at PROSPORT in Stockport Manchester (0161 432 9999), They have Just mapped an imported 2.5 STI Forrester with Richard Bulmar at 390 Pounds of Torque and around 335 Hp on the new 2.5 with just a backbox! I was taken for a test drive in it at the last WR1 meet they had there a few weeks back, its a monster!
I wouldnt wast your time waiting for a stock Pro-Drive conversion which will no doubt fall well short of the figures acheived above.
Just to highlight in case anyone gets confused, the Forester Sti doesn't have the TD04 that the UK Forester 2.5XT has.

Therefore don't expect to see anymore than max 280'ish on the Forester PPP, probably more like 260/270.

Not a bad thing tho as to go much higher you really need to upgrade the tyres/handling/brakes..

....imo
Old 24 February 2006, 09:11 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
As you are probably aware, we are very close to the performance packages for the 06MY WRX, STi & Forester XT being available and are currently undergoing the homolgation testing....
Mike - thanks for the definitive reply on where PPP is at. Coming from an 02 STi (that I really liked but), I lived with the power vacuum below 3500 for some time, so more driveability is does it for me. Also sounds like good news for me on the exhaust noise too. All in all, can't wait to try one.

cheers.
Old 24 February 2006, 11:24 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I have tried many PPP'd cars, STI and WRX with various mods above the standard exhaust Prodrive gives with his packages and I am very impressed how much adaptive their maps are!
Believe it or not (no connection with Prodrive) I have in my WRX MY03 3" downpipe-with the rest of PPP, up-pipe, STI I/C, Fuel pump and the car goes like rocket, measured with DD road dyno and 100RON fuel between 250-255Bhp!
I have seen many STI PPP'd with full 3" decat, exhaust manifolds even different turbos (VF34, VF22) and they still perform very well.
That's what I call "one size fits all" case and I don't want to underestimate mapper's job nor to incite owners of PPP'd cars to modify them, just to clarify what PPP is and how much R&d requires compared with individual mapped cars where the gains are usually bigger!
JIM
Old 25 February 2006, 11:17 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
Believe it or not (no connection with Prodrive) I have in my WRX MY03 3" downpipe-with the rest of PPP, up-pipe, STI I/C, Fuel pump and the car goes like rocket, measured with DD road dyno and 100RON fuel between 250-255Bhp!

JIM
I presume that is at the wheels and not the fly, if not your down on power from a 'normal' PPP .

Tony.
Old 26 February 2006, 11:19 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
I presume that is at the wheels and not the fly, if not your down on power from a 'normal' PPP .

Tony.
DD road dynoed Tony = ATW!
Old 27 February 2006, 09:40 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Ah... didn't read the road dyno bit, just saw DD and assumed Dyno Dynamics.

Tony.
Old 28 February 2006, 03:07 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

vertew

As you are probably aware, we are very close to the performance packages for the 06MY WRX, STi & Forester XT being available and are currently undergoing the homolgation testing.

Until that testing is complete we can't confirm the final power and torque figures but our expectation is that we will have more power than the comparitive 05MY packages but the real benefit will be to torque and overall drivability. In fact the cars are that smooth I can see us having issues with some customers thinking that they aren't producing the figures we quote as they are so progressive. No change there then With this in mind we will be testing the cars at several different rolling road facilities to compare the figures to our dyno data before quoting the final numbers.

I think the noise will be to your liking as well although I don't think it'll be nearly noisy enough for some but it will be legal which is the important thing

To answer some of the other points in the thread (again ), the ECU used on the 06MY cars is a new design compared to older Impreza models and has many more features included that we have had to investigate fully over the months that we've been developing the packages. Bearing this in mind, with respect, the view that our 'one size fits all' calibration is inferior to one done on a particular car in a very limited period of time, in one set of atmospheric and weather conditons on one particular fuel is a complete nonsense. Our calibration may be specific to one set of hardware, but it designed to get the best out of the engine across all it's potential operating conditions and be safe in any eventuality. With modern, very adaptable ECUs it is simply not necessary to calibrate every one individually if you've done the job thoroughly in the first place and the hardware is the same.

Regards

Mike
Any announcement on the MY06 PPP packages yet Mike?
Old 03 March 2006, 10:52 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

asking same as above .... just waiting to pick my 06 wagon up now my private plate is the hold up
Old 03 March 2006, 09:54 PM
vertew
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the Wagon. I was really tempted this time, but couldn't get such a good deal on the 5d. My first scoob was a 5d. Great q-car.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:03 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I've now done 400 miles since picking the car up and had planned to have the PPP fitted just after the 1000 mile service, doesn't look like that will happen now as i'll cover that in 2 weeks .

I asked RN Goldens on satrurday if they had any news, they said they have heard nothing since Christmas.

Tony.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:06 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

As you are probably aware, we are very close to the performance packages for the 06MY WRX, STi & Forester XT
Sorry off topic

YHPM

Tony
Old 09 March 2006, 09:46 PM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

Covered over 1000 miles in my 06 STI now so would love PPP any updates?
Old 09 March 2006, 11:17 PM
Dave Bullock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Spoke to Scott at crossroads today.

He said it may still be 2 months off yet!

Quick Reply: PPP for MY06 WRX?