Changing fuel with Apexi FC commander

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2006, 02:48 AM
scoobyimprza
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fuel with Apexi FC commander

Hello all,

I've got a 94 WRX drivetrain fitted with a TD05h-16G and I'm using the Apexi Power FC to manage that. On the stock map, the car is getting too much fuel and the spark plugs are getting fouled.

Which settings for the injectors should I use to lower the amount of fuel at start up and how do I do it? I've fooled around with the settings some but it doesn't make enough of a difference to start the car.

Brent
Old 04 February 2006, 07:47 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not maximise your car and have it properly mapped?

Depending on your location, but AndyF, Paul @ Zen and several others cover the country well enough.

Worth getting it right and optimised. About £250 max at a guess inc them coming to you.
I'm surprised the Apexi 'safe' map isn't ok for the car. You need to be sure of the spec before you start (or they do)

See Vas's thread below yours for some other info. You are risking your engine messing about!

Graham
Old 04 February 2006, 10:36 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
I'm surprised the Apexi 'safe' map isn't ok for the car. You need to be sure of the spec before you start (or they do)
The timing in the pre-97 PFC base map is no where near 'safe', it may be rich but it's not safe.

Andrew...
Old 04 February 2006, 02:00 PM
scoobyimprza
Scooby Newbie

I'm actually located across the ocean in the US, but I came here because so many people have the Apexi FC here and there are only a few of us in the US that have them.

The strange thing is that I have driven the car for a few miles and I let it sit to work on some other stuff. When I tried starting it again, it just would start. I pulled a spark plug and it was fouled with fuel.

So I just need to use the commander to turn the fuel down at start up until I can get the car to a tuner here in the US.

Thanks.
Old 04 February 2006, 02:20 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

on the commander, go into the "map tracer" mode on the "monitor" screen, look at which zones the car is in at start up and idle etc.
you can then go into the "settings" screen and look at the "injector" screen, go into the same zones and reduce the value a little at a time.
I would suggest you have a wideband plugged in to check the afr is good while doing it though.
also bear in mind that at start up there may be an element of enrichment.
Old 04 February 2006, 05:40 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

I'm not an expert but you could lower whole ignition and injection map in the "Settings - Inj / Ign menu. In anycase you need a wideband to check it.
Old 04 February 2006, 10:28 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a wideband lambda on there. Yuu'll probably find at idle and cruise it's not trying to achieve 14.7AFR (that's if the o2 feedback is enabled). but is actually running alot richer.

As mentioned above use the commander to make temporary changes to the fuel map in Settings - Inj / Ign menu. If you mess it up it will revert back to the normal map when you turn the ignition off/on.

Page 30 (page 33 in the PDF file) tells you whats what.....see http://www.spipowerexcel.com/pdfs/fc_commander_fd3s.pdf

Ignore the bit about IGT & IGL which is trailing and leading Ignition timing for a Mazda RX7. The Subaru Commander will just have IGN for timing and INJ for fuelling.