Notices

300bhp please

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 03:37 PM
Jontyclassic"00"
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300bhp please

Got a 2000 x classic with PPP (236bhp at flywheel)

Would like to get it to around 300bhp.

What do I need? Car done 46k, and as it needs a clutch, thought I'd uprate a few things whilst it's at the garage.

Jonathan
Old 16 January 2006, 03:51 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decat, bigger turbo and a remap..

Simon
Old 16 January 2006, 03:52 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

VF28/30/35
STI8 TMIC.
K&N Panel filter.
Full decat exhaust
Fuel Pump.
ECUTEK remap.

(boost gauge, knocklink etc)

That should get you 300 with little or no lag. At least thats what I'm hoping for with the above mods on my MY00.
Old 16 January 2006, 05:56 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

sorry but save your money and buy an sti instead
Old 16 January 2006, 06:30 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cos that would be so much cheaper.............
Old 16 January 2006, 06:43 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i maybe wrong as i am new to the world of scoobies but does an sti not come with around 280bhp as standard, and cost around the same as a uk my00 ppp anyhow so you get 40bhp extra for the same cash to start with. so you are quids in.

its got to cost a lot less to gain 20bhp then an extra 70bhp, plus how stable would the engine be with an extra 70-80bhp running through it, i thought that would help to any engine failure as it is under more stress than the factory desinged it to be?

correct me if i am wrong please as i might as well tune my uk ppp rather than selling it nearer to summer and getting an sti.

what makes the sti a much better car over a uk model other than the bhp difference? as i said i am new to this and the more people can tell me the better

steve
Old 16 January 2006, 08:47 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been running over 300bhp.. nearer 350 now as an estimate for the last 80k miles.. engine is now on 180,000miles.. it's a UK.. with decat, filter, fuel pump, injectors, td05, front mount etc..

Done right they go on and on..

Buy an STi mapped for 100ron fuel then run it on less RON fuel.. how is that less stress?

Simon
Old 16 January 2006, 08:53 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

dude thst is why i asked as i am new to this,

why the big difference in the engines in uk and jap. surely you could remap the jap engine to optimax any have no probs

i just guessed that tuning it by that much would put stress on the engine etc,

what are the main differences between the two models then?
Old 17 January 2006, 09:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

You could argue that buying an STI might be a cheaper way of getting high BHP figures. Depending on model you will also get other goodies like DCCD, water spary, light panels etc.

However, most STI engines once over here tend not to last very long unless re-mapped and generally treated with kid gloves (all though some can have the crap kicked out of them and come back for more - luck of the draw I guess)

You could also argue that since you have a car already, why not stick to what you know. For me, I trust my car and I trust it can take the few mods I'm going to do to it. If it breaks its becuase of what I've done to it.

I could get an STI but its an unknown. I don't know what fuel has been in it. Even if it has been mapped, I don't really know how long it had 95RON put through it etc.

I could get about £8Kish for my MY00 turbo. Theres a V3 STI Type R in town for sale for the same price. I've driven it and its pretty good. But I could buy it, map it and make other mods and then it let go.

I guess its a risk we all take. Still haven't ruled out the Type R but like I say, I know my car.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:26 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by EddScott
You could argue that buying an STI might be a cheaper way of getting high BHP figures. Depending on model you will also get other goodies like DCCD, water spary, light panels etc.

However, most STI engines once over here tend not to last very long unless re-mapped and generally treated with kid gloves (all though some can have the crap kicked out of them and come back for more - luck of the draw I guess)

You could also argue that since you have a car already, why not stick to what you know. For me, I trust my car and I trust it can take the few mods I'm going to do to it. If it breaks its becuase of what I've done to it.

I could get an STI but its an unknown. I don't know what fuel has been in it. Even if it has been mapped, I don't really know how long it had 95RON put through it etc.

Exactly, buying a classic STi is a bit of a risk I'm afraid! You could potentially gain a lot, but you may also loose a lot! If you could find one that was remapped as soon as it set foot in the UK, or has just been rebuilt then you'd be laughing I guess. If not, stick with what you know, or get a new age STi Type Uk and go from there.

NS04