Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sccoby beats this and that?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 11:35 AM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all! Great Forums! They are very informative and entertaining. The scooby V cossie threads have had me in stitches. Which is in a way why I'm posting my first thread.

I've been a lurker here for quite some time and find a few of the members seem to get highly excited about blowing a Ferrari or GT2 away etc etc. I seem to get the impression (With no disrespect to the scooby) that they really believe their 300bhp Scooby left them eating dust........ LOL!

Do they really believe this or is it just me? For one they are openly admitting to racing on the roads with someone who a) Proberbly isn't interested or b) can't drive something like a Ferrari properly even though they own it?

Why do they come on here and boast about something in which one of the two above in 99% of cases applies?

Again, do they really believe that either a GT2 or a Ferrari driven by a professional wouldn't beat them in their Scooby?

As an ex-professional racing driver, I have to laugh at these threads. They seem to be typical boy racer comments don't you think?

At the end of the day, it's the driver your racing NOT the car.

Let these posters bring their 300bhp Scooby to a race track. Give me an old Mini cooper. We'll see how good they are..........
Old 17 September 2002, 11:38 AM
Dougster.
Scooby Regular

Make your first post your last.
Old 17 September 2002, 11:39 AM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

Ahhhh! A constuctive comment, how nice. Must of used all or brain cells in that one.
Old 17 September 2002, 11:47 AM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

I think most of us realise us that its the driver and not the tool..but like all tools..some get behind the steering wheel...

Scoobs are great but if you look at the 'what did you drive before' thread you will see that most people have arrived from other 'fun to drive' cars.

As for racing on the road!!! as if...you need to download the scooby net map of private roads...lol
Old 17 September 2002, 11:50 AM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

My comments have no bearing on a Scooby. They are great cars, that is why I'm here, just SOME of the drivers with their head in the clouds.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:08 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Moth,

Like every car, they all have their followings and with them come the idiots that like to race about and endanger other road users and pedestrians.

Lets keep racing on the track. I agree with your comments but you must realise that anything even remotley negative directed at a scooby will be defended here. It is a scooby site after all.

Don't take it to heart. All comments like yours breed discussion which is what this BB is for.

By the way, welcome to Scoobynet and if you feel like a lighter discussion then visit the Muppets forum. I think you will find it interesting.

Jason.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:13 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Let these posters bring their 300bhp Scooby to a race track. Give me an old Mini cooper. We'll see how good they are..........
My driving is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot but I'm sure someone on here will take you up on that offer.

Nathan..

Old 17 September 2002, 12:18 PM
Mr Emery
Scooby Regular

Nathan my driving is just as bad about as useful as hot tea in ya pot

steve
Old 17 September 2002, 12:19 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Download JF's ring video and he "only" has 276bhp .
Old 17 September 2002, 12:20 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

let them have there moment
Old 17 September 2002, 12:23 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chris, good point.

300 bhp = JDM STI, 22b or modded P1.

Vs

Mini Cooper.

I wouldn't mind seeing that

Nathan..
Old 17 September 2002, 12:24 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

Keep it up Moth. The voice of reason.
I would like to take you up on your offer though. Let me know when you have booked the track and you can make me look as slow as you like. I will just drive around grinning, enjoying my car for what it is. safe in the knowledge that its limits are a lot higher than mine and if some Maxpower kiddie in his nova wants to put his life on the line to beat me I will wave him by.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:31 PM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

Jasonwrxowner....... Thanks for your kind comments.

Please don't get me wrong here. I am not slating Scooby's, I love 'em. Brillent cars. Get a good driver in one and they'll easily beat me in a cooper around a TRACK. Doubt many of the ones that overly voice how good they are or how they beat everything would be able to even keep up. From my experiences anyway.
They've been watching to much of Fast and Furious.......
Old 17 September 2002, 12:34 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Moth, although I think he could have phrased things a little differently.

There are a hell of a lot of 'boy racer' threads these days, and who are we to know whether the other driver is either a) any good or b) trying. I'm sure the odd baseball cap wearer had dined out on stories of passing my P1 when I'm on my way to the in-laws with my family in the car. Who cares?

With regard to the skill of others, there's no doubt that one or two drivers on the BBS could beat most of us even if they were given a Reliant to drive. Whatever you do in life, there's always going to be someone who is in some way better than you. Live with it.

We all like to have a bit of fun on the roads, but racing on them is just stupid, and there are much cheaper cars than Scoobs in which to do it. Maybe some of you should get a cheaper car, and use the balance to enter a one make eries to get it out of your systems. You'd find out if you were any good then.

Josh
Old 17 September 2002, 12:35 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I would like to see you try Thanks for that, biggest laugh I've had all day.

David
Old 17 September 2002, 12:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

I am up for a Mini (ex profesional race driver) v My STi (joe public)

I am at the nurburgring this weekend, see you there!!!!
Old 17 September 2002, 12:38 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

There are a hell of a lot of 'boy racer' threads these days
You mean when people list mods as a mega big VTA DV as if it increases performance .
Old 17 September 2002, 12:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I am at the nurburgring this weekend, see you there!!!!
LOL nice to see if Moth can fly .
Old 17 September 2002, 12:50 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Moth, I feel you may have bitten off more than you can chew with your offer. Fancy trying against a Skoda? Please feel free to come to the Ring this weekend if you fancy a little sport (at your own expense of course), I'll try to take my beating humbly

I actually agree with your comments, but then I just view those threads as light amusement, not serious at all.
Old 17 September 2002, 12:52 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Guys,

in Moth's defence. I used to have a race cooper and although they don't have the acceleration of a scooby they will **** you right off if the corners are sharp enough and oftern enough.

If moth is refering to a 1600 BDA mini, 1430 ful race or a 2ltr Vtec one then I think that all of you would be suitably impressed.

Moth,

My mates race in the Mighty Mini series. David and Ian Neville and I am very old friends with their mechanic Mark. David took me round Castle Combe in his mighty mini and to be perfectly honest he scared the living sh1te out of me. Not to fast on the straights but they make up for it by hardly touching the brakes on corners.

Anyway, I do agree. I would like to see a modded mini v Scooby. Just for the experience and to silence a few critics. Scoobies arefeckin great. I will never have anything else but they are no the be all and end all.

Old 17 September 2002, 12:54 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

...cornering is best.

Sorry. I'm off to the Muppets.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:04 PM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

The Cooper V Scooby was meant as a figure of speech, a comparison of what could beat these posters with egos. I am sure that if you know what your doing in your 300bhp scooby on a RACE TRACK you'll have a good laugh at me as you pass. I would have no problem with that, I would still try to give you a run for your money but as I don't own one.......

I have driven (not raced) a race prepared one and thought that not much would touch it around a nice tright circuit.

I think maybe I should of worded my original post better.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:06 PM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

Jasonwrxowner.

They are quick aint they! Sounds like you had a good time?
Old 17 September 2002, 01:09 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Had a ride in a 2 ltr vtec converted clubman and it blew me away. The power it had for the little it weighed was stupid.

Scoobies are quick, then so are allot of cars. It's horses for courses.

Old 17 September 2002, 01:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Sorry, I think moth is reasonable in his statement that there are a lot of really crap boy racer threads. For his mini vs scoob challenge, I ain't going there. (JF do NOT try to claim that you are representing joe public!)

Time and again it's been said - how do you know the other guy was trying, and how do you know how good he is? Did you really beat an RS4, or did you beat a crap driver in an RS4, that is the difference. Or did you beat a guy in a Porsche who yesterday reached nine points on his licence and still needs the car for work?

There is a Subaru thread on blatchat (for Caterham drivers) at the mo. One comment was that scoob owners buy them as they can't drive, and need the predictability and grip of the car to make up for their own mistakes. So - are you really great drivers, or are you just average (or even poor) drivers with great cars?

Jeez, look at yourselves before being so fast to be so offensive to others.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:22 PM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

Who gives a **** about tracks anyway, I take everybodys stories with a pinch or salt car related or otherwise.
Although we dont drive £500,000 WRC cars, these cars were produced to take Subaru into the Rally Limelight. Subaru did try and produce a Formula 1 engine but it was lame so they went to rally instead. Whoever says this is a track car for racing needs to look at the facts again. With many world rally titles under their belts whilst being pretty new to the game is enough to boast a competitive off-road racing car. The people on this Forum drive its road going cousin which can easily be modified to compete in professional stages (RA Editions). The impreza's home is in the gravel and the Ferrari's ect are for the circuits. Take your ferrari to the Snowmans with its 'real' driver and see how they last. An im sure not even Colin McRae could save a scoobys *** against a proper track car on circuit.

Boyracers - peeps who hang out at carparks and have tacky looking pieces added to their cars. I dont think you will find many scooby owners 'razzin the ****' offa their motta or Vs a Nitro'd Corsa/Saxo/Peugot in Tescos carpark or doing burnouts outside the local Mcdonalds.
I think the majority of peeps on this site are enthusiasts of fast cars and despite its inability to wipe the floor with any car theres no denying that the impreza doesnt lurk about!!

Old 17 September 2002, 01:23 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Brendan.....well done.

One of the best replies in ages.

FinaLLY THE VOICE OF REASON PREVAILS.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:28 PM
Moth
Scooby Newbie

Brendan and Jaay..........good interesting read. Nice posts
Old 17 September 2002, 01:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
(JF do NOT try to claim that you are representing joe public!)
Why not? I dont hold a race licence.

It really gets up my nose how these ex pro racers think they are something extra special behind the wheel, most of them are $hit from what i have seen, they just have some experience of how to use a track (that is easily taught and learned), are good at blagging the money and dedicated enough to perseveer and get a drive.

There are some awesome pro drivers out there, but they are few and far between, most i wouldnt have any issues with having a go against in the same equipment, and i am nothing special as a driver when you are talking tallent.

You cant compare a special saloon style Mini to a Mini either, they just are not the same animal.

I understand what Moth was saying, re boy racers, but his first post shows the arogance of an ex racer, a lot of them (not saying moth is one of them) are up their own **** and could do with a bit of modesty in a first post.
Old 17 September 2002, 01:40 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Some good comments here..at last.The impreza's (spiritual)home is indeed on gravel,and given a chance to drive on it,95% of the people on here who regularly 'whoop' and '**** on' quality motors like Porkers and Ferraris(on public roads) would find out rather quickly that they couldn't drive their fingers up their a$$es.Pardon my French.

[Edited by SUNDAY DRIVER - 9/17/2002 1:42:24 PM]

Quick Reply: Sccoby beats this and that?