Notices

Do i need a Apexi power fc Boost Control kit to go with Apexi power fc

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2006, 05:33 PM
wildfire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do i need a Apexi power fc Boost Control kit to go with Apexi power fc

Hi, thinking of buying an Apexi power fc with a commander for my classic my00 uk turbo and was wondering if it is advisable or i need to get a Apexi power fc Boost Control kit to go with it.

Cheers in advance

Last edited by wildfire; 16 January 2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 13 January 2006, 06:50 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

I had my 1997 RA mapped and it used the original one supplied, the mapper changed some setting and voila it ran like billy !! Ask the guy who is mapping it what he prefers.
Old 13 January 2006, 10:55 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

No you don't need the Apexi boost control kit in a MY97-00 car.

However, a 3-port boost control solenoid will make setting up the boost control easier, either an OEM Subaru one from a breaker or your mapper may be able to supply a GM 3 port solenoid.

Andrew...
Old 14 January 2006, 03:07 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

As above. only really required for 93-96 cars whose map sensor is only good for 1.2 bar, the powerFC in this case limits the boost setpoint to 1 bar.

Paul
Old 14 January 2006, 05:25 PM
wildfire
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reponses. Not decided who to get the map done by yet so cant ask the mapper any questions. Just read that the boost control kit solonoid would be adddition.
Old 14 January 2006, 06:15 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Before you get a price for an individual PFC and then mapping, it might be a good idea to see what packages people are prepared to do for you, especially if the car is having other work done at the same time.
Old 15 January 2006, 09:09 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Paul, are you saying the a pre 97 can only be mapped to 1.0 bar if the OE MAP sensor is used?

I was hoping for 1.1 on a TD05-16g (EJ257 and STIv3 heads)

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2006, 09:47 PM
wildfire
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses, idea is to get the apexi unit from a group buy on here for around £400 all in and the get a remap for what i have read on here wll be around £250 giving a total of £650 approx apposed to getting one fitted and mapped in this country for £750 plus vat, but i may be wrong on this price.

I should of also mentioned that i will prob be fitting a td05 16g at the same time.

Cheers
Old 15 January 2006, 10:20 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Paul, are you saying the a pre 97 can only be mapped to 1.0 bar if the OE MAP sensor is used?

I was hoping for 1.1 on a TD05-16g (EJ257 and STIv3 heads)
Correct, 1 bar max setpoint. If set over this, even 1.05 bar the CEL is permanently illuminated and boost control is turned off giving minimum wastegate pressure.

Paul
Old 15 January 2006, 10:29 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wildfire
Cheers for the responses, idea is to get the apexi unit from a group buy on here for around £400 all in and the get a remap for what i have read on here wll be around £250 giving a total of £650 approx apposed to getting one fitted and mapped in this country for £750 plus vat, but i may be wrong on this price.

I should of also mentioned that i will prob be fitting a td05 16g at the same time.

Cheers
The choice is yours, of course the £400 all in price for the power FC should be £470 as parcelforce (UK end of EMS shipments from Japan) are getting much tighter on collecting revenue, and you may be asked for proof of payment amounts. However I should think 50% will go straight through

While I respect people for trying to save money, depending on what it is it can be a very false economy. If your PFC goes **** up in some way, you can take it back to your UK supplied and get instant remedy, if your car has non standard injectors, MAF or both, this can be very important as the car will not drive on the standard ECU. You can wait over a month for manufacturer help from Japan. In the case of the PFC failures are few and far between, but overall, the security of buying the UK should not be overlooked.

Paul
Old 15 January 2006, 11:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
Correct, 1 bar max setpoint. If set over this, even 1.05 bar the CEL is permanently illuminated and boost control is turned off giving minimum wastegate pressure.

Paul
Thanks Paul
Old 16 January 2006, 07:23 PM
wildfire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
The choice is yours, of course the £400 all in price for the power FC should be £470 as parcelforce (UK end of EMS shipments from Japan) are getting much tighter on collecting revenue, and you may be asked for proof of payment amounts. However I should think 50% will go straight through

While I respect people for trying to save money, depending on what it is it can be a very false economy. If your PFC goes **** up in some way, you can take it back to your UK supplied and get instant remedy, if your car has non standard injectors, MAF or both, this can be very important as the car will not drive on the standard ECU. You can wait over a month for manufacturer help from Japan. In the case of the PFC failures are few and far between, but overall, the security of buying the UK should not be overlooked.

Paul
Cheers for the help Paul. Just been looking on andyforrests website and it is another £80 on top of the £750 giving a total of £830 as apposed to £650. As you say an englisher supplier would be better and i would prefer it but with £180 saving its tempting to import one.
Old 13 March 2006, 10:42 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildfire
Cheers for the help Paul. Just been looking on andyforrests website and it is another £80 on top of the £750 giving a total of £830 as apposed to £650. As you say an englisher supplier would be better and i would prefer it but with £180 saving its tempting to import one.
It's a fair point. VAT is a killer.
Old 13 March 2006, 10:44 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

not everyone charges extra for the controller!