Notices

think i need a remap

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2005, 12:45 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default think i need a remap

i have a 03 scooby wrx i have fitted a exhaust system removing the cats apart from the one on the downpipe i have also fitted a hks panel filter and blow off valve.

How much would i expect to pay for a remap and what gains will i get.
Old 05 December 2005, 12:49 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

You can not remap the standard ecu, so you will have to address the ecu options fist. Many are available such as Ecutek, HKS, Scoobyworld. Expect to pay £600 for the ecu and extra for mapping time, it will greatly improve the car, much better power delivery and the overall driveability of it will be transformed, by far the best mod i've done!
Old 05 December 2005, 12:53 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

i spoke to simspons car care and they said they could do it for 650 plus vat using the same ecu.

what bhp do u think this car will be running. What are the 0-60 times on these thanks
Old 05 December 2005, 01:06 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
what bhp do u think this car will be running. What are the 0-60 times on these thanks
Should be around the 280bhp mark, not too sure, someone else will be able to answer more definatly as my experience is with an STI. Again for the 0-60 not sure hasten a guess at 5.2sec
Old 05 December 2005, 02:19 PM
mikeGG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
i have a 03 scooby wrx i have fitted a exhaust system removing the cats apart from the one on the downpipe i have also fitted a hks panel filter and blow off valve.

How much would i expect to pay for a remap and what gains will i get.
Hello,

You can remap your existing ECU using Ecutek software. This will be between £650 and £750 from most places. With your mods you should see around 265bhp (up to 280bhp with a decat downpipe) although each car is different so difficult to give accurate predictions.

Mike
Old 05 December 2005, 02:55 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

just looked the scooby shop and they have a new ecu for sale has anyone got one of these. Would this be a better option for me.

is there any risk to the engine on these
Old 05 December 2005, 03:14 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

Generic maps are usually not as smooth or as powerfull as a custom map for your car. Spend the money on a ECUTEK remap and you will thank us later.

When I installed the Full Helix 3" TBE exhaust and up pipe to my '02 WRX I picked up 59hp an 52ftlbs before the remap. The remap only netted 13hp and 15ftlbs but it made it so much smoother and safer! My second quality ECUTEK remap by WRC-TECH picked my torque up to 310ftlbs! Chris can really map for torque!!!!
Old 05 December 2005, 03:35 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

i am thinking about buying a de cat down pipe and a sti intercooler would u recommend doing this. Also i have been told to replace the turbo hose with a samco hose.
Old 05 December 2005, 03:42 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

de cat downpipe will make a heck of a difference to your car, your standard intercooler will be fine for the mods you are planning (it wouldnt hurt but imho I think you could spend the money on the suspension//brakes)
The samco hoses are also a worthwhile replacement, I know for the classics anyway so I imagine it would be the same for the newer cars.
Old 05 December 2005, 04:05 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The only hose you need to replace is the intercooler 'y' pipe and if you upgrade to an STi TMIC you should get the alloy 'y' pipe with it. Anything else would be purely cosmetic..! Even the intake pipe is a questionable upgrade unless you're planning a massoof turbo.

As said you don't need a new ECU the 03> is VERY mappable via Ecutek producing excellent results.

Unlike BVM I didn't really gain anything from my mods until it was mapped, then...Whooohoooo..!

BTW Fitting the STI8> TMIC and scoop gives you that extra shove you usually get on those cold winter mornings, only all year around..!
Old 05 December 2005, 04:16 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

You cannot remap your own ECU, but tuners can with the appropriate Ecutek tools. As has been mentioned, using Ecutek to remap your factory ECU is a good way of doing things, but best wait until your mods are all in place. When you say you put in an HKS panel filter I assume that is what you mean, and not a whole induction kit? In which case you should be okay.

It should be noted that a blow off valve doesn't add any power whatsoever, and are more often than not a pain in the neck compared to the one provided for you by Subaru themselves.

Paul
Old 05 December 2005, 05:54 PM
BVM
Scooby Regular

I agree Paul. Factory BPV is the way to go unless you want the sound of an aftermarket BOV.