Notices

exhaust fitting

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 04:29 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust fitting

i have just been having a quick look at exhausts for a bug eye wrx and a full one seems to be around £500-600. how much would it be for say quick fit to fit it? or any other exhaust company?
Old 04 November 2005, 06:04 PM
~DrEaM~
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
i have just been having a quick look at exhausts for a bug eye wrx and a full one seems to be around £500-600. how much would it be for say quick fit to fit it? or any other exhaust company?
my local Top Gear exhaust charged 30quid, i also have a system for sale, its a TANABE 3'' cat back, its just too lound for me, its even louder than the blitz nur spec, its only been on the car for 1 week
Old 04 November 2005, 08:40 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

It's a DIY doddle to fit if you are doing from the downpipe back as it's all bolted together, none of those nasty slip over joints and clamps, just one sensor to remove if you are planning on taking out the centre cat.. if you are just doing the backbox it's literally a 5 min job, just 2 bolts..
Old 05 November 2005, 07:53 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

i may do it myself then in that case! so if i had downpipe, decat cenre and backbox, theres just 1 sensor? can this be just taped up? i get confused with scooby exhausts!lol is it 4 parts including the up pipe? (and does that go to the turbo?)
Old 05 November 2005, 03:37 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Theres a good pic of the various parts to the new age exh here (classic is slightly different) this does not show the up-pipe though..

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...225e98cebb6da8

if you change back box and centre cat you will pass MOT, they are the 2 parts changed as part of the PPP, some people also change the resornator section, but more for the sound, not for power gain.. there is a sensor in the centre section which just screws back into your new de-cat pipe.

If you add a de-cat downpipe and you probably won't pass emissions, as you then only have one cat left.. you will also need a CEL fix to stop the CEL light coming on. And it would be advisable to have the car on a RR at this stage to check boost etc and a re-map would be good if you want to get the most out of the parts.

The up-pipe is the last one and the most tricky to change so many owners don't bother, the up-pipe also has a sensor in it, you can replace this with either a de-cat up-pipe with or without a sensor, if you remove the sensor, again CEL fix is required.

It is said that just leaving the up-pipe cat in can be an issue as it may overheat and break up and being 'in front' of the turbo bits will get sucked into the turbo.. which is why I'm having mine removed soon!
Old 05 November 2005, 03:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
Theres a good pic of the various parts to the new age exh here (classic is slightly different) this does not show the up-pipe though..

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...225e98cebb6da8

if you change back box and centre cat you will pass MOT, they are the 2 parts changed as part of the PPP, some people also change the resornator section, but more for the sound, not for power gain.. there is a sensor in the centre section which just screws back into your new de-cat pipe.

If you add a de-cat downpipe and you probably won't pass emissions, as you then only have one cat left.. you will also need a CEL fix to stop the CEL light coming on. And it would be advisable to have the car on a RR at this stage to check boost etc and a re-map would be good if you want to get the most out of the parts.

The up-pipe is the last one and the most tricky to change so many owners don't bother, the up-pipe also has a sensor in it, you can replace this with either a de-cat up-pipe with or without a sensor, if you remove the sensor, again CEL fix is required.

It is said that just leaving the up-pipe cat in can be an issue as it may overheat and break up and being 'in front' of the turbo bits will get sucked into the turbo.. which is why I'm having mine removed soon!
Was the most costly part to change due to labour, but i made up for it by getting a little ebay bargain.

Well worth it in my opinion, had dawes fitted at same time though so could be combination of both. Made such an improvement i was annoyed i didnt do it a lot sooner
Old 05 November 2005, 05:34 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

cheers fellas. so is a de cat down pipe all one then? on the diagram its two parts-downpipe then cat?

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2005, 05:50 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

No the down pipe also has a cat in it which can be seen in the picture.
Old 05 November 2005, 05:53 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Nope it's 2 de-cat pipes... downpipe plus the short section after it...
Old 05 November 2005, 05:55 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Was the most costly part to change due to labour, but i made up for it by getting a little ebay bargain.

Well worth it in my opinion, had dawes fitted at same time though so could be combination of both. Made such an improvement i was annoyed i didnt do it a lot sooner
I'm not expecting much performance from the up-pipe, really doing it more for piece of mind as I have a re-map at 1.3 bar boost, so it will be running a bit hotter than standard, faster spool up would be a nice side effect