Advice on Downpipe for MY93WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 03:19 PM
mids_muscle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Advice on Downpipe for MY93WRX

Hi,

My Scoob currentlyhas perf. headers, up-pipe downpipe and full exhaust... however it lacks the scooby burble.I think this may be due to what looks like a baffle in the downpipe? anyone ever heard of this?

Its pretty quiet and doesnt have that trademark sound...

Ive been told its got unequal length headers, which would eliminate that, but does anyone know how to confirm this, what am i looking for?

Assuming it is the downpipe (90% sure) can anyone reccomend a downpipe and mailorder company I can get another one from?

Last edited by mids_muscle; 10 September 2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10 September 2005, 07:26 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

the (baffle)in the downpipe is most probably your cat.
not sure about your eqal lengh headers as i would need to have a look.do they have heat shieling around them,or do they look like a cast iron material , stainless steel or mild steel ?
to get a decent scooby burble you could do with changing the backbox first to a decent one,,theres loads about.
change the centre section next,this should give you a decent burble note and will be louder.
if you decide to change the downpipe you then may have problems getting an mot (you may struggle by removing the centre section) due to emissions.
i have a group a openneck tsl downpipe on my car,i always recomend the open neck to customers at the garage as they always seem very satisfied with it ....also it gives a noticable bhp increase 0-60 is much mure crisper i have found .
but its a personal thing,,some like the twin pipe neck downpipe(magnex i think) but to me when the wastegate opens,it covers up the small pipe.
also they are a pain to fit.
these are my opinions ,,do a search on here,,,do some reserch.i have found exhausts to be a very personal thing.

roy
Old 10 September 2005, 09:31 PM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

I always undersood the burble to be most effected by the headers, with unequal like standard = yes, egual = no burble.

The downpipe with a cat or a baffle will not surpress the burble as mine had a catted downpipe and still had a very distinctive burble.

I now have a set of megan unequal length headers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...em=4574049280&), H&S open neck downpipe, 3" de-cat middle section and a 3" rear section and 5" exit.

The sound now is really no different on tickover and low speeds to standard, maybe a bit louder but still the same burble sound.

I would be making double sure on the headers, what make are they?

These are a set of equal length headers http://www.haywardandscott.com/Detai...46&category=13 only subtle difference to unequal really.