Question about air filter housing on UK Classic Turbo & K&N

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2005, 01:48 PM
TEH NOOB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about air filter housing on UK Classic Turbo & K&N

Hi i have a UK Turbo 1999 model.

When i bought it it came with a K&N Open Filter, i have sourced an airbox from a guy on here from a 1999 model so i know its the right one.

anyway i am having a mare fitting the original gear back on. i can get the airbox sorted thats no problem. the problem lies where the cylindrical rigid plastic section that the maf sensor plugs into.

this is what my engine bay looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...DSC01849-1.jpg

notice the bit im on about? the problem i have is that plastic bit is completely the wrong shape to fit the 4 golden holes that go into the top of the airbox, and it is also too fat at the other end to go onto the standard bendy pipe that then goes into the intake.

my question is when you buy a K&N do they supply you with a different cylindrical plastic bit thats fatter becuase if so i need to source one of them?

cheers people.
Old 07 September 2005, 02:05 PM
Jontyclassic"00"
Scooby Regular

Without checking mine I cant be 100%, as I kept all the original piping. Think the rigid pipe comes in the kit, and the std subaru pipe is a rigid pipe with a flxible joint half way along.

Prob need a scooby breakers to get one.

J
Originally Posted by TEH NOOB

When i bought it it came with a K&N Open Filter, i have sourced an airbox from a guy on here from a 1999 model so i know its the right one.

anyway i am having a mare fitting the original gear back on. i can get the airbox sorted thats no problem. the problem lies where the cylindrical rigid plastic section that the maf sensor plugs into.

notice the bit im on about? the problem i have is that plastic bit is completely the wrong shape to fit the 4 golden holes that go into the top of the airbox, and it is also too fat at the other end to go onto the standard bendy pipe that then goes into the intake.

my question is when you buy a K&N do they supply you with a different cylindrical plastic bit thats fatter becuase if so i need to source one of them?

cheers people.
Old 07 September 2005, 03:11 PM
Jontyclassic"00"
Scooby Regular

Also looks like you've got a FMIC?, can see stainless tubing running under the K&N. Original airbox bolts down where this sits. One bolt also boths through the mount for the ABS, the other goes straight into the inner wing.

There's also a bit of plastic trunking that bolts above the headlight and links to the under wing part of the air filter.

J

cheers people.
Old 07 September 2005, 04:26 PM
TEH NOOB
Scooby Regular

hi there, i should have quantified that aint my engine, it was just a picture of the K&N as it is on mine

cheers for reply.
Old 07 September 2005, 07:27 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

It sounds like you have got an airbox from an earlier car, which has a different size MAF tube - Hence the reason why it won't fit.

I'm in High Wycombe - i might be able to help you - PM me if you want my number.
Old 08 September 2005, 11:07 AM
Jontyclassic"00"
Scooby Regular

Just checked the bits I took off mine, and yes there is a seperate plastic pipe which reduce's in diameter at the mid point.

You need this to link the original airbox to the inlet side.

J

hi there, i should have quantified that aint my engine, it was just a picture of the K&N as it is on mine

cheers for reply.
Old 08 September 2005, 12:04 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Just a word of warning - make sure the K&N filter is a dry one (not oil-soaked) as otherwise you're heading for a dead MAF sensor and maybe a blown engine... (having been there myself with an oil-soaked panel filter )

Richard
Old 08 September 2005, 06:09 PM
TEH NOOB
Scooby Regular

dont worry mate i am putting the original one back on as opposed to vica versa as im selling up but thanks for word of warning