A very basic guide to turbos

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2005, 09:12 AM
Dan@TurboTechnics
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very basic guide to turbos

Hi Guys,

I thought i would put up a very basic guide to turbos, that might help to answer a few questions. As i say, it is very basic, so is probably aimed more at either new guys, or those who haven't owned a turbocharged motor before hand. i have a lot more in depth literature i can supply if neede, or feel free to ask me anything.

Dan

1 - How long does a turbo last?

Turbos, on average, last about 80-100,000 miles with regular engine servicing with good quality engine oil.

2 – What is a hybrid turbo?

A hybrid turbo is a turbo specially designed to produce good power while still maintaining good response and is built using parts from a number of turbos. For example, a T3 can be built using the original turbine wheel and housing to give good response, but with a larger compressor wheel and housing to increase power capabilities above that of the standard turbo. A hybrid can also include one-off special parts such as cut-back turbine blades and 360 degree thrust bearings.

3 – Why is it important to balance a turbocharger?

Every turbocharger needs to be balanced to ensure efficient operation. Turbos can spin up to 200,000 rpm and if they are not balanced correctly they can fail catastrophically, potentially causing serious damage. Turbos that are out of balance can cause vibration which creates a whining noise and these vibrations can reduce bearing life and turbo efficiency and cause premature failure.

4 – What is a 360 Degree Thrust bearing?

A 360 Degree thrust bearing is an uprated turbo bearing. It sits between the turbine wheel and Centre Housing. In standard turbos this only covers 270 degrees of the face of the impellor, but can not cope with the increased shock loads as a result of high boost applications. A 370 degree bearing covers the whole face and is normally only used in race or hybrid turbos.

5 – What are the main signs of turbo failure?

Worn or damaged turbos can become evident through a number of symptoms. Blue smoke out the exhaust can indicate worn seals as the oil leaks past into the compressor/turbine side. It is often possible to see evidence of excessive oil in the inlet tract between turbo and intercooler/engine. A loud whining sound coming from the turbo is often a sign of worn bearings which can be checked by removing the pipe from the air filter that attaches to the front of the turbo. If the bearings are worn, there will be excessive play in the shaft. Up to about 1mm of up and down play is acceptable but there should be no end float.

6 – What is a water-cooled turbo?

The central part of the turbo, housing the bearings, is surrounded by a water jacket through which the engine’s water coolant is passed. This water continues to circulate after the engine is turned off, cooling the turbo, and preventing heat soak from the turbine (hot) side to the compressor (cold) side.

7 – What is an intercooler?

An intercooler is an air to air radiator that helps to cool the charge air from the turbo before it enters the engine. Turbos work by compressing cool air and forcing it into the engine. The cooler the air, the more it can be compressed and the more power can be made. Turbos can get extremely hot and the intercooler helps to reduce charge temperatures back down to acceptable levels otherwise detonation can result as the air-fuel mixture gets too hot.

8 – What type of oil and how often should it be changed?

Turbos must have good quality oil. Use either semi or fully-synthetic engine oil. Oil changes should be done regularly and at least at the intervals specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

9 – Should I let the vehicle idle before driving/ turning it off.

When the vehicle is started from cold, it is important to let the oil get up to working temperature before using full throttle to protect the turbo against damage. Do not rev the engine from cold as oil takes a small amount of time to reach the turbo and can cause significant damage. When turning off the vehicle, it is only necessary to let it idle for a while if the car has been driven hard. The turbo itself can get red-hot after a spirited drive and needs some time for the cooling oil to bring it back down to normal working temperatures. Numerous spirited drives followed by immediate switching off can cause the oil to back on to the internals causing accelerated wear. Never rev the car before switching off as the turbo will still be decelerating without any lubricating oil.

10 – Can I increase the boost pressure on my engine?

Increasing the boost pressure on any vehicle can be extremely dangerous unless it has been modified to accept these changes. Air and fuel must be mixed and ignited in a set ratio and too much air can cause lean conditions leading to potential fatal detonation. General fuel modifications in the form of revised EPROM’s, larger injectors and better fuel pumps together with a rolling road session with a good engine tuner for accurate set up are required.
Old 01 September 2005, 09:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Dan and welcome

Thanks for this post. I have suggested to the mod team it is made a sticky for this forum.

Keep an eye on Midlands section for meets, there is one at the Queen Elanor this weekend i believe.

Do TT sell the the general public, if so you might want to look at taking out advertising on here?

All the best

Paul
Old 01 September 2005, 09:51 AM
Dan@TurboTechnics
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Hi Dan and welcome

Thanks for this post. I have suggested to the mod team it is made a sticky for this forum.

Keep an eye on Midlands section for meets, there is one at the Queen Elanor this weekend i believe.

Do TT sell the the general public, if so you might want to look at taking out advertising on here?

All the best

Paul
Hi Pual,

Thanks for letting me know, i only live round the corner from the Queen Elanor, so might pop up if i'm allowed?

We do sell to the public, i will look into becoming a forum trader.

Dan

Last edited by The Zohan; 01 September 2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01 September 2005, 10:01 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan@TurboTechnics
Hi Pual,

Thanks for letting me know, i only live round the corner from the Queen Elanor, so might pop up if i'm allowed?

We do sell to the public, i will look into becoming a forum trader.

Dan

Cool!

I also live around the corner from the Queen Elanor, on Wootton Fields - small world!

Contact the webmaster if you are interested in advertising
webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk

all the best

Paul
Old 01 September 2005, 10:08 AM
Dan@TurboTechnics
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Cool!

I also live around the corner from the Queen Elanor, on Wootton Fields - small world!

Contact the webmaster if you are interested in advertising
webmaster@scoobynet.co.uk

all the best

Paul
Ah, your just down the road, i'm in hunsbury, we'll have to meet up.

I'll get in contact with the webmaster, thanks.

Dan
Old 01 September 2005, 02:07 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Feel free to spread the word on my forum also Dan, www.sox-japoc.co.uk/forum

Do you sell turbos for all major makes of car? Mitsi, Nissan etc? (Im pretty sure you do i just didnt want to assume and look a prat )

Cheers,
Neil
Old 01 September 2005, 02:15 PM
Dan@TurboTechnics
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Neilo
Feel free to spread the word on my forum also Dan, www.sox-japoc.co.uk/forum

Do you sell turbos for all major makes of car? Mitsi, Nissan etc? (Im pretty sure you do i just didnt want to assume and look a prat )

Cheers,
Neil
Hiya,

I'll have a look on there and post some info, no probs.

Yes we do turbos for pretty much every car, as well as hybrids for most popular vehicles. We also do one offs, and race/rally turbos.

Dan
Old 01 September 2005, 02:30 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Cool, good good. We also arent based too far from you either which is good.

Look forward to seeing you around.
Old 01 September 2005, 02:35 PM
Dan@TurboTechnics
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Neilo
Cool, good good. We also arent based too far from you either which is good.

Look forward to seeing you around.
Yes, likewise. Where are you based?

Dan
Old 01 September 2005, 02:49 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Im in Milton Keynes, although soon to be hitchin, but the club is for the south in general, but cross marque (jap)

We have a few memebrs in the northants area though
Old 01 September 2005, 06:13 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

bump