Notices

Why is it so noisy??

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 11:11 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it so noisy??

I am not sure if it has always been like this but my 95 sti scoob sounds really tappety, you can really notice it when you are driving alongside a wall with you windows open - oil has only recently been changed (Mobil1 10w-60)... does anyone else have this?
Old 19 August 2005, 03:07 AM
LDA
Scooby Regular

still learning the scoob, but if i've been told right then its most likely that your shims have worn. they will need redoing.
spose its an enging out job on the scooby.

L.
Old 19 August 2005, 02:50 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

The car has only done about 50,000 miles...surely shouldn't need shims doing already?
Old 19 August 2005, 11:10 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Is it the oil grade - did you have say 5W30 or 5W40 before? and is it more noticeable after starting from cold? (and maybe quietens when engine warms up). A lot of people use or recommend 5W40 for scoobs - the lower (i.e. 5W) means the oil is less thick on start up and circulates to the higher part of the engine sooner.

PS - Cue the experts and other 'advisors' (has pslewis really gone?)
PPS - not that pslewis is a expert - but he made me laugh.
Old 20 August 2005, 10:34 AM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pmarch
Is it the oil grade - did you have say 5W30 or 5W40 before? and is it more noticeable after starting from cold? (and maybe quietens when engine warms up). A lot of people use or recommend 5W40 for scoobs - the lower (i.e. 5W) means the oil is less thick on start up and circulates to the higher part of the engine sooner.

PS - Cue the experts and other 'advisors' (has pslewis really gone?)
PPS - not that pslewis is a expert - but he made me laugh.
Since I imported the car I have only ever put in Mobil1 10w60 fully Syn - that seemed to be a popular brand on here. I think it may actually get a bit noisier as it warms up rather than the other way around....
Old 21 August 2005, 02:11 AM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Sounds like tappets to me, but could be the injectors as they can be quite loud?

My 97 Scoob has been sounding quite tappety recently - but not when cold, when warmed up!
It doesn't always make the (ticking) noise which seems a bit odd. But 9 times out of 10, when I get home from work, it's doing it.

Oh, cars done 75k miles. And I thought it might be the injectors but don't know why it's only started recently and only does it when warm?

Last edited by JamieMacdonald; 21 August 2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 21 August 2005, 10:56 AM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamieMacdonald
Sounds like tappets to me, but could be the injectors as they can be quite loud?

My 97 Scoob has been sounding quite tappety recently - but not when cold, when warmed up!
It doesn't always make the (ticking) noise which seems a bit odd. But 9 times out of 10, when I get home from work, it's doing it.

Oh, cars done 75k miles. And I thought it might be the injectors but don't know why it's only started recently and only does it when warm?
Yep, sounds like you have exactly what I have - only does it when car is fully warmed up...

Any experts able to shed any light?

Trending Topics

Old 21 August 2005, 11:04 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my car has done it for ages, Bob Rawle never commented it on, neither did Richard at TSL, and i heard a (what looked tuned) WRX import making the same sort of noise reversing out of API? common noise? or common problem?
Old 21 August 2005, 11:23 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 95 Imprezas still had hydraulic lifters. It's only on later Sti Vers 2 that solid lifters and shims come in.

Assuming the noise doesn't fade after a few minutes from start up it is probably gummed up or weak hydraulic lifters. It is worth trying to clean them up with a simple but effective remedy.

Drain out half a litre of oil from the engine and refill using 1/2 litre of ATF auto transmission fluid. This marketed by a number of companies as ' hydraulic lifter cleaner' and you'll pay a tenner or so for about a cupful.......

My way should be rather cheaper and just as effective.

After 300 miles with the cleaner in drain off all the oil and refill with oil of choice and a fresh filter. Try not to red line the engine during the 300 miles just drive ' normally'

Incidentally xxW / 60 anything is too thick in my opinion for a Subaru. I'd stick to 10W 40 or 50 or 15W 40 or 50. As long as it is a proper named brand of oil and not anonymous dealers own brand.

The noisy tappets should be greatly quieter, if not, then I am afraid they will need replacing.

Good Luck

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apingines.com
Old 21 August 2005, 11:40 AM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
The 95 Imprezas still had hydraulic lifters. It's only on later Sti Vers 2 that solid lifters and shims come in.

Assuming the noise doesn't fade after a few minutes from start up it is probably gummed up or weak hydraulic lifters. It is worth trying to clean them up with a simple but effective remedy.

Drain out half a litre of oil from the engine and refill using 1/2 litre of ATF auto transmission fluid. This marketed by a number of companies as ' hydraulic lifter cleaner' and you'll pay a tenner or so for about a cupful.......

My way should be rather cheaper and just as effective.

After 300 miles with the cleaner in drain off all the oil and refill with oil of choice and a fresh filter. Try not to red line the engine during the 300 miles just drive ' normally'

Incidentally xxW / 60 anything is too thick in my opinion for a Subaru. I'd stick to 10W 40 or 50 or 15W 40 or 50. As long as it is a proper named brand of oil and not anonymous dealers own brand.

The noisy tappets should be greatly quieter, if not, then I am afraid they will need replacing.

Good Luck

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apingines.com

David, is this advice aimed at the 95 with hydraulic lifters and no shims, or engines post 95 with shims?
Thanks
Old 21 August 2005, 07:42 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

My 95 Sti V2 Ra developed a noisy tappet or two recently after i changed the oil.
I don't know what oil was in it but it was still pretty clean looking (not long bought the car) when it came out. I decided to put Silkolene Pro-r 15w50 after talking to a few of the reputable tuners etc.
Seemed fine when i started it at first but after a 100 or so miles it got a bit noisey but only once it was hot and the idle oil pressure was down to about 3 Bar, as soon as i touched the throttle and the oil pressure went up it stopped and then took a minute or two to come back.
Another 100 miles and it's nearly away. Can only assume that one or two of them are getting a bit weak or that they just drained down more than the others and took a while to sort them selves out. If it comes back ill need to look at finding what ones are at fault and change them.
Kenny
Old 21 August 2005, 08:09 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny.S
My 95 Sti V2 Ra developed a noisy tappet or two recently after i changed the oil.
I don't know what oil was in it but it was still pretty clean looking (not long bought the car) when it came out. I decided to put Silkolene Pro-r 15w50 after talking to a few of the reputable tuners etc.
Seemed fine when i started it at first but after a 100 or so miles it got a bit noisey but only once it was hot and the idle oil pressure was down to about 3 Bar, as soon as i touched the throttle and the oil pressure went up it stopped and then took a minute or two to come back.
Another 100 miles and it's nearly away. Can only assume that one or two of them are getting a bit weak or that they just drained down more than the others and took a while to sort them selves out. If it comes back ill need to look at finding what ones are at fault and change them.
Kenny
Yes that's just like mine - oil was replaced recently with Motul 300V 15W-50. I'm fitting oil pressure/temp gauges next week so will see under which circumstances it makes the noise.

I think I'll try APIDavid's tip prior to my next oil change - cheers for the free advice mate . If it doesn't work.... personally I can live with the noise, but is it detrimental to the engine?

Jamie
Old 22 August 2005, 10:08 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pabs, The shimmed ones will not change at all throughout their life Sometimes they get a bit noisy but not seriously so. Oil will not change that.

Late 96 is when Shims first appeared universally.

This advice only applies to hydraulic lifter cars .

Good Luck all David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

Originally Posted by pabs
David, is this advice aimed at the 95 with hydraulic lifters and no shims, or engines post 95 with shims?
Thanks
Old 22 August 2005, 01:53 PM
pabs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
pabs, The shimmed ones will not change at all throughout their life Sometimes they get a bit noisy but not seriously so. Oil will not change that.

Late 96 is when Shims first appeared universally.

This advice only applies to hydraulic lifter cars .

Good Luck all David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Thanks for clearing that up