Notices

Heat - Downpipe and lagging

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2005, 10:19 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat - Downpipe and lagging

I was considering removing my magnex downpipe and obtaining some lagging material to reduce the amount of heat build up in the engine bay.

I was struck by a thought which I am unable to resolve so i hope someone here can help. A little knowledge and all that!!!!!

If I lag the downpipe, this will reduce the amount of heat transferred to the "atmosphere" under the bonnet. Lagging the pipe will consequently make the pipe hotter because less of the heat is being radiated to the air.

As warm air rises, the upper part of the downpipe will theoritically be the hottest part, so surely a lot of this heat will transfer via conduction to the turbo raising its temperature???

Therefore I have concluded (possibly wrongly) that lagging the pipe will be a negative exercise, as it is transferring the heat to a "vulnerable" (and expensive if damaged) component.

I am neither a scientist or an engineer - I would appreciate someone blowing my theory out of the water in a sympathetic way....

Cheers,

TT
Old 18 August 2005, 10:50 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

It does strangely make sense...
Old 18 August 2005, 12:17 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

ive wrapped my downpipe and have no problems, i had problems with heat soak when it was not wrapped and i left of the heatshield which has now been installed together with the wrapping of the downpipe, no heat soak anymore and the downpipe is nice and hot now, gives lovely pops and bangs

the downpipe and turbo are designed to take the heat its being presented with during hard driving, i wouldnt worry to much and i would deff. wrap the downpipe to keep it hot since hot gasses equals good performance by the turbo

Reg