Notices

What ecu is this ? Std or Chipped ???

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2005, 05:52 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ecu is this ? Std or Chipped ???

Following on from an earlier post about what is a safe boost level, I have just been to look at the ecu wiring to work out which wire I need to take a feed from to send to my AFR gauge.

Well as soon as I removed the cover from the floor, I could see that someone had been there before me.

I found the ecu with a big sticker over the top of it saying "Hashimoto Powers Impress"

So with that I removed it and took the cover off it.

This is what I found inside.

Is that a standard Ecu ? or is it chipped ?

And if it is chipped anyone know anything about it ?

Sorry for all the pics, but thought best to get as many as I could incase something wasn't clear in any of the shots.

Any info on this would be greatfully received
Old 18 July 2005, 06:49 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

anyone got any ideas on this ?
Old 18 July 2005, 09:33 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

anyone at all ?
Old 18 July 2005, 09:38 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing for sure, it aint standard. I'm guessing your car is an import and its definitely post '96 as its a 3 pin ECU. If its an import, that will be a Japanese tuning firm chip board thats sitting on top, similar idea to a ScoobyECU board.

If all that rings true, then it will probably have an agressive ignition timing map and be mapped for 100 RON fuel. Not very safe for running over here for any period of time
Old 18 July 2005, 09:43 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
One thing for sure, it aint standard. I'm guessing your car is an import and its definitely post '96 as its a 3 pin ECU. If its an import, that will be a Japanese tuning firm chip board thats sitting on top, similar idea to a ScoobyECU board.

If all that rings true, then it will probably have an agressive ignition timing map and be mapped for 100 RON fuel. Not very safe for running over here for any period of time
It's a late 96 Sti 3 (october 96 is the manufature date) and I guessed it was the 97 spec etc, as the only reason I went looking for the ecu was to workout which wire I needed to hook the afr gauge up to.

The thing is tho, the car has been in the uk since 2000, and I assume this chip has been in there since before then.

So is it adviseable to get the map altered ? or just use optimax and octane booster ?

Also I wanted to know if anyone knows about it, so I can findout whats a safe boost level etc.

Cheers
Old 18 July 2005, 11:10 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

it's a Japanese chip, it can't be altered by anyone other than "Hashimoto Power Impress" as that large square device is also a scrambler IC to prevent anyone from being able to read the Eproms directly, or create their own.

If you want to change things then seriously consider an Apexi PowerFC, or just get a good supply of Octane booster, Millers Octane plus is a nice cheap way of doing getting some safety.

Paul
Old 18 July 2005, 11:17 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
it's a Japanese chip, it can't be altered by anyone other than "Hashimoto Power Impress" as that large square device is also a scrambler IC to prevent anyone from being able to read the Eproms directly, or create their own.

If you want to change things then seriously consider an Apexi PowerFC, or just get a good supply of Octane booster, Millers Octane plus is a nice cheap way of doing getting some safety.

Paul
Ok cheers

Any idea's where I can find some info on the chip tho ? so I can findout whats a safe boost level with this chip fitted ?
Old 30 July 2005, 08:38 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not be able to read the chip direct, but with the right software and hardware you will be able to download the data via the select monitor port.
Then use soem more software to convert the data into real map info.....

Thats how I used to do it, but I don't have a 1992-1996 car to plug the ECU in anymore.

Have a word with Dnb or Pavlo. If you loan them the ECU they should be able to read out it's contents.

I suspect it will be a half hearted attempt at mapping, with high boost and far to much ignition advance for UK fuel, so please beware.