Badaboom - exploding motor for sale

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2005, 07:37 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Location: in an engine bay, filling station or gym in Peterborough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Badaboom - exploding motor for sale

Since I can't post in the for sale bit cos I'm a newbie, I'll ask in here...does anyone want to buy an sti 5 import engine with a knackered crank (bye bye shell on 3rd cylinder)?

Previously, no piston slap at all and perfectly quiet.

Not run more than 100 yards since crank went "I'm off for a beer".

Not stripped but imagine the turbo etc is fine (no crap went into the tea-strainer in the sump anyhow).

If not, any idea what its worth?

As a DIY rebuild, you'll need an sti9 crank (nitrided) and bearings (Gibson's of Brock were cheaper than anywhere else), a gasket set (311 quid yeouch), 4 new con-rods (yup you could just replace the one on cylinder 3 but that'd be asking for trouble), and, since new rods are going on, a double-size overbore and spiffing new pistons/rings/small ends would be a good choice, too.
All up rebuild cost is likely to be 1200-1700 quid depending on what you want to do. The motor did 57,000 miles.

Or should I just break it, in which case, anyone wanna buy a turbo, heads, pistons, idle control valve, oil pump, cam assembly, etc, etc.

Please, I need the dough.....
Old 25 June 2005, 08:50 PM
bigscottyboy
Scooby Regular

if your splitting it i'll take the crank pulley off your hands....
Old 25 June 2005, 08:54 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Mate, I'm happy to split it once there are a few parts guaranteed to be sold.

If you can wait a week or two, I'll get me socket set out and list everything that appears to be in working order.

Now..... who wants the rest of it.....
Old 26 June 2005, 02:13 AM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in Heads and inlet manifold.

Dan.
Old 26 June 2005, 08:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

amazing just how many are blowing up at the moment
Old 26 June 2005, 11:29 AM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I thought you were going through trading standards or something due to the garage not checking at the service. If so mate I would not sell the motor as the final solution may be for them to rebuild it and if you dont have it tough!!!

Just a thought,
Old 26 June 2005, 11:46 AM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Good point, but I can't see the trading standards thing coming to conclusion as regards a new motor - the lamda had obviously failed before it went in for service and the unproveable part is how much damage existed BEFORE the service ie the onus is on me to prove the engine would have survived into the future if the lamda had been changed at that point (which I can't).

The main reason for involving trading standards is to get the w@nkers to clean their act up. The work they did was shoddy - they even told me I had a major gearbox leak and it needed to be looked at and it was going to cost around 600 quid just to inspect. It was actually a slightly and I mean slightly weeping rear part of the sump, which I had spotted when I bought the car three weeks earlier. I ended up taking the gearbox out myself and having a look - nothing amiss there or on the end of the crankshaft either.

Add to that falsified report sheets (I can't give too much detail because this is the bit that will nail them to the deck without question) and there is a case for trading standards - but not, I fear, for a new engine.

Trending Topics

Old 26 June 2005, 02:55 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. Bloody hell - A new car for 3 weeks and bang goes the engine - Complete nightmare. Hope you get it sorted out soon and get back on the road. Did you buy private? If you can prove there was a fault before you bought it you could have a case to sue the seller - Very difficult however if it was purchased from a garage or anyone who trades cars they have to fix it.

Good luck.