Notices

More Water Spray Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2005, 05:55 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Water Spray Questions

I recently read a thread in the DIY section of this forum about a do it your self Intercooler waterspray system, so I decided to give It a go.

I bought some washer hose and hoselock micro irrigation nozzles and connected it up. I had to rig a seperate washer bottle and motor on the left hand side of the engine bay by the air filter as the original pump and bottle wouldn't accomodate another pump on my 94 STi.

My question is, the nozzles I bought were described as 360 degrees fine misting nozzles, but when the pump is activated it seems to be more of a jet that a fine mist. Would this be any good to use or would it drown my engine? Is it imperitive that they need to be fine misting?

Secondly, I have an original Subaru I/C Waterspray switch, but no loom, there are six connectors on the back, I assume 2 are for live and earth feed, 2 live and earth for the return to the pump, and the other two for the second Auto switch. By the feel of the switch, I gather It's depressed and held for a desired period of time as there is no click to it. Would this be correct?
Old 10 June 2005, 09:31 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the pressureisn't high enough to give the required 'mist' from the nozzle. However it won't do any harm, just not as effective as it could be.

The switch I'm not familiar with. Have you got access to a circuit tester..?
Old 10 June 2005, 09:37 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Sounds like the pressureisn't high enough to give the required 'mist' from the nozzle. However it won't do any harm, just not as effective as it could be.

The switch I'm not familiar with. Have you got access to a circuit tester..?
I'm pretty sure the pump would be quite adequate for there to be enough pressure as it's a new VW rear bottle and motor, it looks as though the nozzles are not what I ordered, the jet is quite thick as opposed to a fine mist.
Old 11 June 2005, 06:14 PM
P.S leWiS
BANNED

have you used any non return valves,?
Old 11 June 2005, 07:25 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P.S leWiS
have you used any non return valves,?
I'm in the later stages of completing the job, got nearly everything rigged up, bottle and pump, hoses, nozzles (I think the wrong ones were ordered, I've got fine misting ones coming soon), just need to wire everything up to the switch and pump. No non return valves used, do I need them? I just went about the task as someone else had done and they posted descriptive pics in the DIY section of this site.
Old 11 June 2005, 07:36 PM
ttss4
Scooby Regular

Hi, I,m thinking of doing the same mod to my car, can you get the nozzels from a diy store (focus/ B&Q) or are they special order. Also how will you know when to trigger the spray and how long to hold it on.

Cheers Ian.
Old 11 June 2005, 07:49 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoobyboy,

I've got a wiring diagram somewhere, let me have your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. From memory you need to switch on a relay to drive the pump else you may burn the switch out.

It's worth fitting an intercooler output temperature meter, this will give you a better idea of when you need to spray.

Best regards,

Ian
Old 11 June 2005, 08:00 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ttss4
Hi, I,m thinking of doing the same mod to my car, can you get the nozzels from a diy store (focus/ B&Q) or are they special order. Also how will you know when to trigger the spray and how long to hold it on.

Cheers Ian.
I originally tried Homebase and Focus, but their Hozelock line runs as far as tap connectors and the like. try this web site, www.easywatering.co.uk
misting nozzles are 40p each, plus all your hoseing and tee pieces etc. I got a genuine Subaru I/C Water Spray Switch from Foresters for a tenner, bottles and pumps can be picked up from e-bay at rock bottom prices, and you have your own I/C waterspray system for around £25!!