Notices

Knocklink knackered? - Help please

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2005, 07:34 PM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocklink knackered? - Help please

My Knocklink was always a bit sluggish but recently has been OK (couple of lights starting engine, 2-4 lights intermittently pushing hard).
Now it has stopped working altogether, except occasionally first green flashes switching on ignition.
Should the first green be permanently lit with ignition on & when running?
I took it apart and re-soldered 3 LEDs that had come unsoldered (for the 3rd time) and now nothing! I am certain they are soldered in well. I have checked the connections and that there is power at the unit.

Could it be a component down? Is there anywhere I can send it to for checking, or will I have to buy another unit?

Neil

Last edited by wintn; 15 May 2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 15 May 2005, 08:21 PM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

1st green should be permanently dimly lit when ignition on. To check it tap the bolt that is holding the sensor to the block with a spanner and you should see red!

Are you sure you haven't cooked the LEDs, or if they came completely out put them in the wrong way around? Another possibility is that one of the tracks on the PCB has cracked or lifted, and that's causing the problem.

If you still can't get it working then I'd be happy to check it over for you.

Matthew
Old 16 May 2005, 08:23 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

The soldering in them is rubbish. Mine stopped working a few weeksago and when I took it apart, the solder around the LEDs was all cracked and dry. I had them all resoldered and gummed up together to prevent them vibrating and cracking the joints again.

Steve
Old 16 May 2005, 09:02 PM
wintn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matthew
1st green should be permanently dimly lit when ignition on. To check it tap the bolt that is holding the sensor to the block with a spanner and you should see red!

Are you sure you haven't cooked the LEDs, or if they came completely out put them in the wrong way around? Another possibility is that one of the tracks on the PCB has cracked or lifted, and that's causing the problem.

If you still can't get it working then I'd be happy to check it over for you.

Matthew
Thanks Matthew, I will have a few more checks but might take you up on your offer.

Neil