Notices

lowering the scoob -good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2005, 06:06 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile lowering the scoob -good or bad?

will lowering a uk99 enhance or degrade the scooby handling.say by putting on ebach springs all round .i dont want oversteer or understeer just nice and neutral handling.and i dont want to loose any grip or ride quality .and by lowering it will the suspension bottom out at high speed
wheels i have are 17" with goodyear gsd3 f1"s
cheers all
Old 08 May 2005, 06:25 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

i have a 93wrx also with 17's im wanting to drop it 35mm no more (ok maybee 40mm). im interested in what ppl will say.

stew
Old 08 May 2005, 07:25 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

My car needs dropping a bit. Heard Eibach Pro kit with geometry done is the way forward. Interesting to see what others have to say too.
Old 08 May 2005, 07:42 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have Eibach pro springs on my 97 Uk, lowered by 25mm also with Powerstation fast road geometry setup and whiteline rear anti roll bar/ solid droplinks. . The recommended max without really effecting( poor) handling is 40mm. Understeer/oversteer isnt really effected by ride height, its more to do with geometry and stiffness of anti roll bars.

Andy
Old 08 May 2005, 09:06 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Andy, so how does it handle now its lowered? If it doesn't alter the oversteer / understeer characteristics is it just plain faster? When on the limit does it become less or more predictable? Also did you notice any difference to your braking distances and top speed?
Old 08 May 2005, 10:03 PM
nunosm
Scooby Regular

Hi. Prodrive springs lower 30mm (they say 20mm) and wibach ones lower 40mm (they say 30mm).

The car behaves wonderful....25% more rigid (not much), but the feeling, handling etc it out of this world. Try it!
Old 09 May 2005, 11:16 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nunosm
Hi. Prodrive springs lower 30mm (they say 20mm) and wibach ones lower 40mm (they say 30mm).
does it affect the ride quality matey,thinking of prodrive springs on the sti but dont want my spinal cord shattering
Old 09 May 2005, 12:23 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Andy, so how does it handle now its lowered? If it doesn't alter the oversteer / understeer characteristics is it just plain faster? When on the limit does it become less or more predictable? Also did you notice any difference to your braking distances and top speed?
It handles so much better,ride is slightly softer driving slowly and firmer when driven hard, there is no or very little understeer, with a slight lift off oversteer when cornering hard. The steering is alot more responsive, some might even say twitchy-but the car corners and goes where its pointed, unless you overcook it entering into a corner, lift off the throttle and correct the over steer. The car braked better in the sense that it didnt squirm or weave under heavy braking like it did before the suspension and geometry upgrade, no shorter really in distance. Top speed, only been near the cars top speed once, not interested in top speed figures more interested in 0-80mph and cornering.

A well setup suspension/geometry car will be much quicker than a car with 100bhp extra power. I would recommend both a suspension upgrade( springs or coilover, ARBs )setup and geometry setup-by those few companies who know what they are doing.
Old 09 May 2005, 12:57 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

I had eibach springs fitted last week and all I can say is wow what a difference.

if you are after a small drop maybe 30-40mm and slightly stiffer ride then go for these. They dont bounce you around the road they just reduce the roll. I use the car every day for driving around Aberdeens pot hole ridden roads and when you hit a one it doesnt sound like the suspension arm is going to come through the top mount. Handling wise, well roundabouts are even more fun and the springs give you a little more confidence to push it a little harder.

If you ask me the wrx should come with these springs as standard. DO IT!

Iain
Old 09 May 2005, 01:34 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Andy and Iain. You've definitely convinced me. Will be getting the Eibach's with full geometry done ASAP. Cheers.
Old 09 May 2005, 02:26 PM
nunosm
Scooby Regular

Nop....ride is wonderful...and long trips are easy to make. Remember...25% more stiffness...isnt a lot but sufficient for a complete diferent car attitude. Understeering dissapeared, and now is more grippy and neutral! I have a bad back, and my 106 gti is way more stiffer that prodrive springs....
Old 09 May 2005, 04:57 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I though Eibachs hardly lowered the car.... the pics i've seen of UK classics on Eibach's look like a standard Sti, i.e 10mm or so lower. I'm sure a thread a few years back had a quote from Eibach saying as such....

Tony.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:05 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

Mine has dropped about an inch or so on the front and back which is roughly 25mm. I expect they will settle to about 30mm after a few hundred miles.

Looks good and isnt so low that you cant get over speed bumps or in and out of multi story car parks without scraping the **** out of your car.

I will post some pics up when I get a chance.
Old 09 May 2005, 05:08 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're about right Tony.

Post 2:http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=425437
Old 09 May 2005, 06:54 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i had eibachs fitted to my 97 uk model and the reduction in height was negligible. However for all round handling and comfort compromise they are hard to beat and they are well priced too. Its down to what you want, slammed to the ground looks good but with the state of our roads its a pain in practice. you could consider coilovers but cost is high as well as your car being the slowest on rough roads. I would recommend the eibachs.
Old 09 May 2005, 06:58 PM
powercrazed
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have Whiteline springs on my 94wrx, lowered about 30mm. They feel like standard springs in a straight line but when cornering, WOW!! Breaking is inproved too. I have now added whiteline front and rear roll bars, whiteline anti-lift kit, whiteline rear camber adjustment bolts and whiteline front and rear strut braces and a full geometry set-up. Unbelieveable!

Nathan
Old 10 May 2005, 09:26 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i have fitted extremly expensive coilovers and removed them for sale

i then replaced them with new shocks and lowering springs
the springs were made by GMAX
not the "cool' make by any acounts but i think they did a good job on my car

there fine around town, and tighten up a treat onces the progressive softness is com pressed, when i bought my car i had full intentions of setting the car up in tarmac rally spec, TBH as a daily driver there is no need, much prefer the softer life!
Old 10 May 2005, 12:47 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Just as an aside... i have Leda coil overs and the ride (while on a fairly soft setting) is much much better than the standard WRX spring and dampers, standard STiV damper and srpings and finally STiV dampers and lowering springs i've used. More complient (sp?) and sokes up bumps much better. None of the bouncy ride i had with the STi stuff.

Tony.