2.5 litre conversion

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2005, 11:28 AM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 litre conversion

hello ,

well heres the dilema my m8 blew his wrx engine , as he only had the car 3 week from zoom motors , they told him they only cover 300 on his warranty ,

so like he did he accepted it and they said they can put in a 2.5 engine for him , and uprate his internals for 3 grand , so he `s done it , but the guy has told him now he needs and ecu and so on and so on , hes running a 98 wrx , import , now i knew he had to get an ecu , so he`s getting the apexi ecu ,
and zoom has told him he can use his own ecu to run his engine in as he cant afford it yet ,
im just wondering is this right ? and has he missed out bits with an engine upgrade like ,
will he need a new turbo a bigger 1 dont know what turbo he has im sure its a good one though vf or ihi cant remember name ,

now the guys seem to know what there doing i was just after another opinion
Old 26 April 2005, 12:18 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt be happy using the standard ecu to run it in personally.

He doesn't need to change anything else except ecu. Everything else will cope if mapped accordingly.

There is more power potential there for when he does start upgrading, in which case turbo intercooler injectors, gearbox, clutch, but in the meantime, there is no need for anything but the ecu.

as for mapping, I would rather go to pavlo than zoom.
Old 26 April 2005, 12:24 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Agreed, i would speak to Pavlo.

I would also take into consideration that the extra torque from the 2.5 will cause the Clutch some grief even at std boost etc. IIRC teh 98 has a VF22? not my choice of turbo in std form on a 2.5

Rob
Old 26 April 2005, 02:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest what would be your recommendation for a 2.5?

I've just acquired one, in an STi4, and was wondering if I should stick with the VF22 or look for something else. Not being massively techy I'd appreciate your help guys.

Thanks, and sorry to crash your thread Swish
Old 26 April 2005, 03:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With only the engine block changed and the injectors, fuel pump & regulator, MAF sensor, inlet tract, turbo all the same, with a working lambda sensor, I think it would be safe to run in a 2.5 with a standard ECU. But I would do it totally off boost, with at least a narrowband AFR meter and a boost gauge.

My car ran about 400 BHP before the 2.5, and on the same ECU, with nothing else changed, it was driven from the South of England to Scotland, and then still did 400 BHP again the night I got it back... all on the same ECU without a need to reflash. The fuelling was fine, idle speed needed increasing a bit to idle smoothly, on full load the AFR was very close to ideal, the timing was cautious but this suited the larger bore's timing requirements.

I wouldn't do it blind, without knowledge or monitoring though.

Agree, Pavlo for mapping an Apexi if he is nearby, will get far more out of the package though.

Additionally, can a trader get away with a "300 mile" warranty? Is this a classic case of rights under a flimsy warranty being less than those afforded by consumer protection laws? Are you sure there isn't a strong case against the garage?

RRH, I think a VF22 is a bit dinky for a 2.5. 20G at least would be the entry level, with various bigger bolt on or rotated mount Garretts also being quite driveable. Email me if you like.
Old 26 April 2005, 03:36 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that if bought from a motor trader there is always a 3 month warranty.

Although he seems to have gone quite a ong way down the line I would still be inclined to either insist that the trader covers the cost, or alternatively he rejects the car.

I would imagine trading standards could help if contacted?
Old 26 April 2005, 04:23 PM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

cheers lads , Some good info there ill pass it on

and cheers once again

Ste
Old 26 April 2005, 04:31 PM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

**** sorry forgot to put cover 300 pound on his warranty not 300 mile`s if i got someone confused ,
Old 27 April 2005, 12:10 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Wow, thats all for changing over to a 2.5! I thought it would be far more complex Nice to know if you have to do it on a budget!
Old 28 April 2005, 12:01 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

ha ha ha ha ha lol, you should know this from my experience ste, it needs an ecu, i also got the clutch and flywheel, turbo will be fine (if it wasnt bo******d) I used the std ecu to run it in and now it doesnt work, and facing another big bill, get the ecu now and dont blow it again! get it set up at a propper place!!! you know where not to go!!!!
Old 02 May 2005, 10:54 AM
SwishOvBolton
Scooby Regular

hyper P R , is a place were it will not be going ,

Adam did u not order ur ECU , theres a guy on ebay , japanesse fella 440 delivered for apexi ecu ,

just wondering if they cosher or not ,so might let my m8 buy one 1st , if they come backall pristine might order myself 1 , as well

as my Ecu is Pant`z
Old 02 May 2005, 12:23 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me that your mate has a case of "bend over and take it like a mug"
He should of taken that car back and had a full refund