Notices

Mixed tyres - very bad or not that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2005, 08:51 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixed tyres - very bad or not that bad?

I'm just in the process of getting a new pair of front tyres for my RS and the place I'm trying to get them keep mucking me about. I just happened to see in the local paper someone selling two new tyres almost identical but not exactly the same dimensions but for less than half the price.

What this basically means is that if I get them then on the back there will be a pair of 215/45/17 and on the front the new ones would be 215/50/17 so they would be a tiny amount bigger diameter.

What I want to know is will this badly affect anything as the difference is so small? I am wondering if it will cause anything like rapid tyre wear because of all 4 wheels turning at the same time and the fronts being ever so slightly different diameter to the rears?

Other factor involved is that I THINK my RS (89 JDM) has a centre LSD, so if that's the case would that just 'absorb' any difference?

Basically what I want to know is will fitting these cause any real life aggro, or maybe just a miniscule difference pretty much in theory only? It'd mean the difference between £70 for 2 new tyres and over £150 plus more mucking about so if there's no harm involved it'd save me quite a bit!

Cheers!
Old 18 April 2005, 09:03 PM
A.P
Scooby Newbie

Mix brands of tyres if you really have to but it is very unwise to put larger diameter on the rear and not the front, just imagine what it will do to the centre diff

Not good, spend your money wisely and invest in a set of toyo proxies for around 300 quid fitted, pay now or pay later.

AP
Old 18 April 2005, 09:12 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by A.P
Mix brands of tyres if you really have to but it is very unwise to put larger diameter on the rear and not the front, just imagine what it will do to the centre diff

Not good, spend your money wisely and invest in a set of toyo proxies for around 300 quid fitted, pay now or pay later.

AP
But if it's an LSD will it matter as much and is the difference enough to really do anything anyway, that's what I'd like to know.

No chance of getting a set of toyos for that money over here (IOM), my best quote locally is £150 for a pair of budget tyres fitted which will probably have a brand name like 'Cheng' or 'Burstados' or something...
Old 18 April 2005, 09:26 PM
A.P
Scooby Newbie

The lsd will only take so much then will let you know in a very expensive way, if you fit hedge hunters to your car then thats exactly what you will be heading for, save your money up and do it properly or not at all, Im sure you can get some decent rubber posted to you for a lot less.

AP
Old 18 April 2005, 10:04 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Fair point. That's why I wanted to check as I thought it was probably a bit dubious and didn't want to do it if it was going to be a case of save now, pay later!!!