Notices

To run in, or not to run in..........

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2005, 12:37 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To run in, or not to run in..........

I know that this has probably been done to death, so I apologise in advance..

But has anyone any opinions on whether to run-in as per the manual, or to go for it, once the brakes and tyres are scrubbed in.

I know that the latest school of thought can be to utilise the full rev-range from new, as it can actually increase the power output slightly.

Any thoughts ?
Old 18 April 2005, 12:50 AM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
I know that this has probably been done to death, so I apologise in advance..

But has anyone any opinions on whether to run-in as per the manual, or to go for it, once the brakes and tyres are scrubbed in.

I know that the latest school of thought can be to utilise the full rev-range from new, as it can actually increase the power output slightly.

Any thoughts ?
The manual is correct on that. Treat your car like a baby.... lean to walk b4 u run!!!
Old 18 April 2005, 08:14 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I think it's safe to say that everyone has a different opinion and on here, like most places, you'll get both schools of thought. Basically, how can you ever say that not running in your car made a car more powerful without having an identical car and engine (impossible) to compare it to. My train of thought is that a car manufactuer probably knows more than most of us on here and thus if they recommend it, and it's only for 1500 miles, then I'd be silly to ignore their advice. What's the big deal? Your engine will loosen up anyway over anywhere between 2,000-20,000 miles (although many seem to think the 10,000 it goes 'ping' and loosens up automatically!), it's all down to each engine, how it is driven (long and short journey's, warm up, cool down etc) so what can anyone say.
Old 18 April 2005, 12:56 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the thrash it in method only works on the first 20 miles from new so if you've gone past this then its too late. I'd try it but i'm not that brave

F
Old 18 April 2005, 01:17 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies gents. Just a bit of frustration setting in with the waiting, but I don`t know why I`m bothering really, because I`ve only had it a week, and I`ve already done 250 miles, so another 3-4 weeks should see it run-in.

Part of my interest though, was based on the fact that one franchised dealer stated to drive it like normal, ie going for it, from new, and the one that I actually bought mine from stated that it should be as per the manual.

Just goes to show differing opinions from dealers, who you would`ve thought would all be singing from the same hymn-sheet!

Thanks again.
Old 18 April 2005, 03:49 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Hi Dexter,

I know what you are going through, since I've been in the same situation 9 month ago
The way I figured is that the book must state it for a reason, and I didn't want to trash my engine, but once reached the 4k km(not miles) I started to hit the bottom And you get used to that pretty quickly, I can tell you that.
So my advice would be to respect it and then slowly start rev it harder and harder.

B.
Old 18 April 2005, 04:29 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Have a look here : www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Personally,I will try it on my new car if I have a chance to buy a new one that is.

Chan HT
Old 18 April 2005, 04:40 PM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Originally Posted by maci
Hi Dexter,

I know what you are going through, since I've been in the same situation 9 month ago
The way I figured is that the book must state it for a reason, and I didn't want to trash my engine, but once reached the 4k km(not miles) I started to hit the bottom And you get used to that pretty quickly, I can tell you that.
So my advice would be to respect it and then slowly start rev it harder and harder.

B.
My two cents: They made the car, so do as the manual says! The run in period will be over before you know it! Better to be safe than sorry. Scooby engines aint cheap after all!! As I said in another post, it also seem to make no intuitive sense to keep the car under 4.5k for the first 1000 miles and then think its open season on the redline. Seems much more sensible to progressively increase the rev limit as the engine beds in over a longer period.

Best,

NS04
Old 18 April 2005, 04:41 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chan HT
Have a look here : www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Personally,I will try it on my new car if I have a chance to buy a new one that is.

Chan HT
I`ve seen this one already mate (but thanks anyway), and as one of the guys further up the post says, it only seems to apply if you do it within your first 20 miles anyway.

Been out for another play this afternoon, and I now have 283 miles on. It`ll be run-in soon enough no doubt.

I also fillled up for the first time, whilst I was out, as the dealer had put a full tank in from new, and I was quite surprised to work out my MPG, which came to 24. I know that you don`t buy a Scooby expecting fuel economy, but again, that figure is comparable to the Civic Type R that I`ve just sold, so I can`t complain, as the Scooby has loads more power than the CTR.
Old 18 April 2005, 04:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dexter

24. I know that you don`t buy a Scooby expecting fuel economy, but again, that figure is comparable to the Civic Type R that I`ve just sold, so I can`t complain, as the Scooby has loads more power than the CTR.
You forgot to "carry the one" I'd be very impressed if it was returning 24 to the gallon already! Don't expect that to last!!

NS04
Old 18 April 2005, 04:53 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Smile

LOL !

I`m aware that the Scooby`s guzzle it mate, but the extra performance is worth it.

Even without going over 4000 RPM, this thing already destroys most things on the road anyway. One week old, and already lovin` it !!!
Old 18 April 2005, 05:46 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I did my 05 WRX pretty much as per mototuneusa instructions, on about 4k miles so far and it's fine; no oil consumed.

I have to add that it's a company car though, I'm not sure what I would have done had it been mine. Having said that, I still love the thing more than any car I've had before.

When it's some way above 5 or 10k miles I'll stick it on a dyno and see what it's putting out (oh, and when I get rid of it I'll let you know the number plate so you can avoid buying it second hand!).