Notices

My STi 7 and its ongoing faults

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 07:44 PM
D.C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My STi 7 and its ongoing faults

Its last chance saloon for it on monday as it is booked in at subaru (again)!!Please let me know if anyone has had the same problems and what the remedy was!!??The faults are as follows.
*At around 6000rpm it has a flat spot (when driving hard!) almost as though its hit the rev limiter and then picks up again! (i suspect maf sensor)
*Clutch judder (new clutch fitted 1000 miles ago)
*Condensation on the windscreen when left overnight (no water entry or leaks anywhere) it forms in 2 places above the windscreen vents!
*Knocking from the rear (new shockers fitted 1000 miles ago)
*Poor starting from cold
*Rattling noise from engine from cold start up!
*Various interior rattles
And others i cant remeber!! i want to get this sorted as i love the car but hate how temprementle it is!!
Any help would be gratefully recieved!
Old 03 March 2005, 08:08 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

I had a new clutch fitted to my MY02 STI in Feb 04. Judder started to come back very slighty, and a new clutch release bearing sorted that out... (that was fitted to try and cure my rattling gearbox problem)

Knocking from rear. Well the new struts certainly have fixed my problem of the knocking. Have you had the new top mounts fitted too ?
Old 03 March 2005, 09:06 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Had new shocks fitted myself to cure a rear knock. It didnt,Then had new top mounts fitted by dealer. Still knocked when going over speed bumps etc. Turned out to be the exhaust knocking on the anti role bar.All cured now. I guess the good thing is i got new shocks and top mounts under warranty when they wernt needed. Car was two and a half years old when they were changed.

Last edited by Turbotits; 03 March 2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03 March 2005, 09:59 PM
jammers
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,
I get the same as you for the following problems:-
1. Clutch judder (new clutch fitted 1000 miles ago)
2. Condensation on the windscreen when left overnight (no water entry or leaks anywhere) it forms in 2 places above the windscreen vents!
3. Poor starting from cold
4. Rattling noise from engine from cold start up!

Was told 1 is normal when the clutch is nearing the end of its life
Don't know about 2, never had that before!
3. is possible battery - i'm going to replace it in the next week
4 this is normal for a lot of scooby engines as told to me by a scooby motorsports engineer.

hope that helps ??

James
Old 03 March 2005, 11:30 PM
D.C
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys! i am just fed up with the ongoing faults!! Drove it tonight and there is a screech from the turbo! The problem is i am now looking for any minor faults with it!
If it doesnt get sorted on monday i will more than likely change it for a M3 cab!
Old 03 March 2005, 11:53 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

All sounds quite rare for a scoob, and almost like its had a very hard life given all the faults sound "age" related.

Turbo screech is very likely to be the heatshields, which again normally come loose with age...

What miles has it got?

MB
Old 04 March 2005, 08:03 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D.C
*Clutch judder (new clutch fitted 1000 miles ago)
*Condensation on the windscreen when left overnight (no water entry or leaks anywhere) it forms in 2 places above the windscreen vents!
*Knocking from the rear (new shockers fitted 1000 miles ago)
*Poor starting from cold
*Rattling noise from engine from cold start up!
*Various interior rattles
And others i cant remeber!! i want to get this sorted as i love the car but hate how temprementle it is!!
Any help would be gratefully recieved!
I have / had some of those on a MY02 UKSTI

Clutch judder - On and off, mostly mild - it gets better when you treat the clutch a bit harder than you would normally. I have adjusted my driving style to suit, and it doesn't bother me now.

Knocking from rear - sort of, but not over big bumps etc. sometimes there is a slight bang over a pothole.

Poor starting from cold - I believe that the starting ECU software in the standard MY02 STI was very poor when the temperature was around or below 0 degrees C. I had a winter of will it/won't it start last year. I had a PPP fitted last summer and recently Mike Wood mentioned that the starting maps for the PPPs are based on the latest available from Subaru. Anyway whatever, mine now starts first time every time irrespective of the temp'

Interior rattles - yes, several from the front, but they were just the standard ones which have been reported here from time to time.

Rattling noise from engine - would that just be the hydrolic tappets ? - Maybe a thinner Synthetic oil might help? Someone else could comment.

Condensation on windscreen - Do you have a polen filter fitted? I believe if these get damp then they can cause condensation from the vents

PS fragile? maybe - I've had Mazdas for 20 car years and I can count the number of problems I have with them had on one hand (including rattles!). With the exception of the MX5, they have all been a little boring though
Old 04 March 2005, 11:29 PM
D.C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
All sounds quite rare for a scoob, and almost like its had a very hard life given all the faults sound "age" related.

Turbo screech is very likely to be the heatshields, which again normally come loose with age...

What miles has it got?

MB
How do you mean age related?? its a December 2002 car!! and i have had these faults since 10000 miles old its now done 18000! I fear this car will make me part company with the manufacturer of a car i have loved from the age of 12!! I am a patient person but after 12 visits to subaru in the past 5 months i have had enough, These problems arent rare for a scooby as my girlfriends next door neighbour has the same car and guess what..... almost the same problems on present on his!!The dealer i visit are excellent and are very helpful but i feel i have been let down by the product!!(MOAN OVER NOW)I will look at the heat shield though! and i am sorry if anyone feels i am going overboard here but i am just really frustrated!!
Cheers,
D.C

Last edited by D.C; 04 March 2005 at 11:34 PM.