Notices

WR1 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2005, 08:39 AM
Bunj
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 Auto

I would love to get a WR1, however i am an Amputee and need the car to be an automatic. Obviously Subaru not making a production automatic posses some problems.

I have tried looking into getting a hydrolic clutch, but i have been advised that they are poor, at a set speed so fast gear changes is out of the question and often unreliable and break. This would take the enjoyment out of what the WR1 is all about.

I have contacted my local subaru dealer and Prodrive. Both have drawn a blank. The Automatic from the standard 2.0 Turbo couldnt take the 300bhp of the WR1 and Prodrive were not keen on selling a gearbox of their rally version.

So does anyone have any ideas or know who man who can!!!

Thanks
Old 25 February 2005, 08:53 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner of my last company was a paraplegic. He had a Toyota Supra twin turbo automatic, tuned by JPS incidently - Leon that owns JPS has a wooden leg. I am sure they would be able to give you specific advice

HTH.
Old 25 February 2005, 08:53 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Buy a Merc AMG instead mate
Old 25 February 2005, 08:57 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Would have thought you could get an imported JDM turbo model with auto box. They are definitely available. First port of call would be www.litimports.co.uk

You would end up with a better specced car faster than a WR1 and you could get it in the WR1 colour. (If that floats your boat.)

Last edited by Beastie; 25 February 2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 25 February 2005, 09:02 AM
Remus
Scooby Newbie

What about this ?
Subaru Impreza WRX 2004 V-Limited

2.0 BOXER DOHC 16VALVE AVCS TURBO
SPORTSHIFT E-4AT OR 5MT
184kW(250PS)/6000rpm 333N・m(34.0kg・m)/3600rpm

http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/vlim...pt/imgs/p1.jpg
http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/vlimited/imgs/top.jpg

http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/vlimited/index.html
Old 25 February 2005, 09:37 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Being a wheel chair user i went for a classic my97 brit 2.0 auto myself - not majorly bothered about performance just wanna get it to look like a rally replica - but hey im young so insurers would rub hands if i had a turbo..... Getting to the point now, as another has said your best bet is a jap specced car - from my research into auto imprezas, the jap market is the way to go mate, they are into their autos over there!!! So subaru did WRX and other high specced imprezas with auto boxes, can't think why Prodrive did not think of that tbh
Old 25 February 2005, 01:52 PM
Bunj
Scooby Newbie

Litchfield are getting some prices for me but will be expensive and guessed around 15k on top of the list price!!! If i go for an import whats the best model in japan that you guys know of.
Old 26 February 2005, 03:13 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Fella,

I litteraly just mentioned this thread and what you want to my dad - and he came out with:

"buy the manual WR1 you want here, and import just the gear box out of a turbo / high performance impreza automatic from those oriental models" from Japan.

Could be worth investigation, I'm quite proud of my dad for out thinking me there, rare thing that
Old 02 November 2005, 06:12 AM
AKABIGJOE
Scooby Regular

Default wr1

Hi mate..In the same boat as yourself,I'm a paraplegic ...just sold a 97 wrx automatic (import)..couldn't get nothing with performance after i sold it..so bought an Audi a6 tdi ...have looked at a few Mitsubishi lancers gta's...also looked at a second hand rs6 Audi triptronic...a little bit out of my money range...would have an rs6 if I could afford it no comparison....or a w8 passat...
Old 08 November 2005, 05:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bunj
I would love to get a WR1, however i am an Amputee and need the car to be an automatic. Obviously Subaru not making a production automatic posses some problems.

I have tried looking into getting a hydrolic clutch, but i have been advised that they are poor, at a set speed so fast gear changes is out of the question and often unreliable and break. This would take the enjoyment out of what the WR1 is all about.

I have contacted my local subaru dealer and Prodrive. Both have drawn a blank. The Automatic from the standard 2.0 Turbo couldnt take the 300bhp of the WR1 and Prodrive were not keen on selling a gearbox of their rally version.

So does anyone have any ideas or know who man who can!!!

Thanks
As mentioned by me many times on here, why not have an electric/ hydraulic clutch fitted? That way you can have any car you like.

I've driven a 500hp Cosworth using an electric clutch and hand throttle and brake. The clutch pedal was removed.

The clutch kit for this was under £1000 fitted.

There is absolutely no need to drive an automatic if you are a left leg amputee, tetraplegic, paraplegic or whatever.