Notices

Autometer Phantom Oil Pressure Gauge (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 02:57 PM
ghturbo2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer Phantom Oil Pressure Gauge (HELP)

I have a set of Autometer Phantom Gauges fitted in my car, all work fine apart from the Electrical Oil Pressure Gauge.

I'm getting no reading at all, I've changed the sender unit and all the wires, even bought a new gauge but still no reading.

As you all probably know the sender unit from Autometer does not fit under the alternator so I spoke to Le Mans and got them to make me a fitting kit.

This kit replaces the OEM Oil Pressure sender and then has a length of braided hose which leads into a brass fitting. The Autometer sender then fits into the end of the brass fitting.

Does anybody else where else I should look to get this working?
Old 06 February 2005, 03:03 PM
scoobyjohn2000
Scooby Regular

i have just fitted the same kit to my car and nothing it didnt work ...but on my presssure sender it has 2 wires as soon as i earthed one it all came to life even though the sender is metel for some reason it doesnt earth its self try it it might work?
Old 06 February 2005, 03:04 PM
jerry555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ghturbo2000
I have a set of Autometer Phantom Gauges fitted in my car, all work fine apart from the Electrical Oil Pressure Gauge.

I'm getting no reading at all, I've changed the sender unit and all the wires, even bought a new gauge but still no reading.

As you all probably know the sender unit from Autometer does not fit under the alternator so I spoke to Le Mans and got them to make me a fitting kit.

This kit replaces the OEM Oil Pressure sender and then has a length of braided hose which leads into a brass fitting. The Autometer sender then fits into the end of the brass fitting.

Does anybody else where else I should look to get this working?

The easiest thing to do is, with the help of a friend and a rag, turn the engine over with the crank sensor disconnected and see if any oil comes out.
If yes dodgy sender, if no dodgy fitting.
Old 06 February 2005, 07:39 PM
edge
Scooby Regular

Hi.

It's missing the earth connection, i'm pretty sure. I fitted my Autometer oil pressure sensor remotely (as it didn't fit under the alternator), and it didn't read at first. A quick look at the whole thing and i realised it "earths" itself by contact to the engine block. Since it wasn't attached to the engine block, I just put a wire connecting the sensor to the battery negative, et voila, all works fine. Dead easy.

Cheers,

Paulo
Old 06 February 2005, 11:56 PM
ghturbo2000
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, you were all right.

I ran a temporary wire to earth the sender unit to the chassis and it started to read pressure.

Will fit a permanent solution shortly.

Thanks for the responses.

Glyn