Notices

Anyone care to guess?........

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 10:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone care to guess?........

My MY99 has picked up a squeak/intermittent squeal. I think it's comimg from the rear of the car but i can't be sure (details huh?)
The noise only happens above 20 mph and gets more persistent as the speed increases. I was thinking it was possibly a catching break pad but the noise is un-affected if i apply either the foot brake or the hand brake
My car is in at the dealer on friday so i was hoping to give them half a clue at what i could be talking about
I know it's almost impossible for you lot to diagnose this sort of problem but i thought i'd see what you come up with anyway
Old 26 January 2005, 10:26 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bushes on anti roll bar?
Old 26 January 2005, 10:52 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

you might want to check-out if it's the diff, that is since it is speed-relative. Maybe the diff oil is dirty, or needs changing. Mind you, maybe I'm way off the mark. Only that and the breaks that are speed-relative as far as I can see. Its not the suspension or the exhaust. Probably not the chassis or something loose. If it's not the Diff, then I honestly have no idea. Keep us posted though, thanks.
Old 27 January 2005, 10:18 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Drive shaft? CV boot split?

The word "intermittent" is what makes me say this.

Had this problem before, boot split, all the grease spun out and left the CV joint dry, and it intermittently squeaked. Got worse and worse as days went on and less intermittent.

If it is this, get it sorted quick or you may knacker the joint itself.

Rich
Old 27 January 2005, 02:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

In for a service tomorrow I'll let you know
Old 28 January 2005, 03:12 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, looks like it could be the rear brakes The car is still being seen to, but they've phoned to say i need new rear disks (75k old ) which are fcuked and rear pads. The pads are only 16k old, but they are totally worm on the offside. It looks like the caliper is seized . I wouldn't mind but they cost me £75 last year as the only place that had any was the main dealer and i needed them fast.
Anybody know where i can score some cheap rear disks, as the dealer wants £199+vat for them
Old 28 January 2005, 05:57 PM
Dxx
Scooby Regular

I have my O/E front and rear discs for sale at the moment from a uk MY00. Also have a set of Tarox 40 groved uprated rear ones for sale that would fit your car. Nice simple upgrade??
PM me on here, or see general for sale section in "garage sale - performance and o/e stuff" thread. (it may be a few pages back so you may have to search!)
Dxx
Old 28 January 2005, 07:07 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

You have PM
Old 28 January 2005, 07:18 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Anyway so i pick it up and get 5 miles down the road and the noise is still there. So back i go and take a mechanic out for a drive to show him the noise. Anyway, it turns out the noise is more than likely, the front pads as they are quite worn. They did tell me that in the earlier phonecall but i told them i would fit my own.
Right, where's cheapest for EBC ceramic reds? The cheapest i've found so far is £102
Old 05 February 2005, 10:38 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Right - I have fitted the rear disks - (thanks to ASperformance). It was a big hammer job removing the 6 year old 75k originals but had no trouble with the refit. I've also fitted EBC ceramic reds to go with my Godspeed front disks. Initial impression is very good. A big improvement over the greens i had on before i think
The squeak/intermittent squeal turned out to be the worn greens on the front The pads are fitted with a wear thingy and the noise was the pads saying "i'm fcuked" It could be worse though - i could have been the diff screaming
Old 05 February 2005, 10:41 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

......................oh yeah - it is worse. While i had the rear wheels off, i found one has a dirty great nail in it. The tyre probably only has 2k left on it so i guess i'll be sticking on tyres eleven and twelve in my 3.5 years of ownership