Performance Increase

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2005, 10:41 PM
Liddy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Increase

Hello all,

Need a bit of advice please. I've been a scooby driver for 3 years now and recently upgraded my 2000 turbo to a 2004 STi. Hasn't had any improvements yet so the bhp is still the standard 265. What changes can I make to get it up to 350??? Is it possible??? Prodrive Performance pack maybe???

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers
Old 23 January 2005, 11:00 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb PPP

With approx. 261 bhp (265 PS), if you visit those nice people in Banbury and leave a cheque for about 2K then you should see your STi pumping out roughly 300 bhp (305 PS). But of course, bhp sells cars and doesn't win races... it's the increase in torque from 253 lb/ft to 299 lb/ft that your butt-dyno will approve of.

More bhp though..? More cheques then...

Jonts.
Old 24 January 2005, 10:48 AM
Liddy
Scooby Regular

Cheers buddy, was told that the people on this site were a friendly bunch!! OK then so if I head off to Banbury and spend the best part of 2 grand will my nice new car be a bad *** street machine???? Besides your suggestion what else could I do to increase the power???

Once again Thanks
Old 24 January 2005, 07:02 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Theres a lot of things you can do, but if youre going to go past the 330 bhp/lb-ft mark, you will be needing a different intercooler after 350 bhp, probably better break rotors and/or pads, it would be an idea to go for a new set of coilovers and strut bars and anti-roll bars and most likely sooner rather than later you'd be needign a knew clutch. The point i'm trying to prove is that for a little money, the PPP (or indeed the 333 upgrade) is the most cost-effective and efficient way of gaining power. Any further than that and the (Bhp gaineg)/(pounds spent) ratio will be getting rather small.

I'd advise aim for the 300 mark, and after a few months, see what part of the car isn't enough for you. You might well find that where you drive, you're more in need of suspension tweaking or geometry setup. Maybe you track-day race so you need DOT5.1 brake fluids and break pads specified for higher temperatures. Maybe it's very wet and you need a set of Toyo T-1Rs. Don't always hunt for power when you're not sure it's what you need.
But good luck whatever you choose anyhow!

-Antonis
Old 24 January 2005, 07:13 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Figuring your car is still under warranty (2004 model) then the Subaru approved PPP is the obvious choice over a TSL type TEK3 re-map. Dont think you will be disappointed.
Old 25 January 2005, 11:10 AM
Liddy
Scooby Regular

Well thanks to you all for your advice. Looks like a trip to Banbury is on the cards for little old me!!!!
Old 25 January 2005, 11:21 AM
MarksWRX
Scooby Regular

No need for a trip to Banbury your local main dealer will fit PPP.
Old 25 January 2005, 11:52 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Hi Liddy

I've just got an 05STI from EMG in Exeter !!

Had it PPP'd on friday - awesome - you will be very impressed by the difference.If you want to see what it's like PM me and we can sort something out.
Old 25 January 2005, 12:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with what's been said. Preserve your warranty for now and get the PPP (it's from your dealer BTW, you don't go to Banbury ) and upgrade some of the ancilliary components. Better braking with EBC Red Ceramics is well worthwhile. You could uprate the fluid and hoses too, but most of my mates with STi's haven't seen a need as yet. The suspension can easily be improved with uprated droplinks front and rear and an uprated adjustable rear ARB. There's also an Anti-lift Kit which some like. I'd only do all these along with either Prodrive or Eibach springs, and don't forget to get the fitters to do a good geometry set-up.

For your location, get in touch with http://www.powerstation.org.uk/

Once the warranty is up, look into getting a full decat (or leave a single high flow sports cat to pass MOT) and remap to start getting above 300.