Adding bigger Top Mount IC to MY04 PPP STI

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2005, 10:49 AM
DimitrisSti8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding bigger Top Mount IC to MY04 PPP STI

The car is a MY04 STi.

I am considering to upgrade my stock STI Intercooler to a larger unit i.e. APS,PERRIN,etc.

My mods are: PPP ECU, Graham goode turbo back exhaust with sports cat, panel, filter, walbro fuel pump.

Will the larger IC give me any performance gains and better reliability?

Will the PPP ECU map be able to adapt itself to the cooler air or will it make my car run like sh$t.

thanks very much
Dimitrios
Old 21 January 2005, 10:53 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

The standard STI8 intercooler is very good IMO.

Your best bet really is to remap the car for additional power. The standard top mount is good for 350bhp and some people are running more.

What is your power goal?

Jon.
Old 21 January 2005, 12:32 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Dimitrios,

I fitted an APS TMIC to my MY02 PPP, along with the discharge duct and scoop splitter. I must say that the knocklink was more active after doing this.

Have since had it remapped and the knocklink is now very quiet. Car now holds boost much better and doesn't tail off....

I notice that WRC Technologies are having 'sale' on APS stuff at the moment.

http://www.wrc-tech.co.uk/subaru-04sti-induction.htm
Old 21 January 2005, 04:05 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

As like Custom said above...I've heard the STI TMIC is a good piece of kit, and good for 350bhp.
Old 21 January 2005, 04:58 PM
DimitrisSti8
Scooby Regular

thanks for your replies.

What exactly do you mean by more active knocklink activity? Do you mean flickering green leds or red knock alerts?

Did this happen due to rise in boost? My power level at this moment is 340 hp and I am considering the IC upgrade to get to 350-360hp together with an intake hose.

I will invest in a wideband air/fuel ratio meter in the future but in the meanwhile do you think by car will run properly?

I get no worrying Knock activity at the moment.

thanks for you help
Old 21 January 2005, 05:03 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Dimitrios,

By just adding the APS I noticed that I would get occasional ambers, and I must say I saw the red flick on once, when I was on WOT. Never had that before the TMIC was fitted. To compensate I added octane boost until I could get the remap done.

Remap sorted it out.

Boost didn't increase, but watching the boost gauge you could see that the boost was holding on much longer than before with the STI TMIC.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
Old 21 January 2005, 09:16 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by marklemac
Dimitrios,

By just adding the APS I noticed that I would get occasional ambers, and I must say I saw the red flick on once, when I was on WOT. Never had that before the TMIC was fitted. To compensate I added octane boost until I could get the remap done.

Remap sorted it out.

Boost didn't increase, but watching the boost gauge you could see that the boost was holding on much longer than before with the STI TMIC.

Hope this helps,

Mark.
From this I would conclude that the STI top mount is better than the APS or have I missed something?

Mark...
Old 21 January 2005, 09:19 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Quite the opposite, as I don't think the PPP map could handle the APS. All is fine now.
Old 22 January 2005, 10:56 AM
DimitrisSti8
Scooby Regular

marklemac thanks for your feedback. May I ask what other mods did you have on your car at that time? did you have the Prodrive exhaust or a de-cat?

I do not plan to get a remap because i dont trust my local mappers in greece, do you think I should stay away from the top mount and turbo inlet hose?

By the way I have almost decided to go with the Perrin top mount and inlet hose. Do you think its a good choice?
Old 22 January 2005, 11:50 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

All I had was the PPP fitted (fuel pump,sports cat, back box). and the MY03 bigger scoop. No other mods were present at the time..

Since then I've ditched the air box resinator and added a cold feed from the front bumper, sti panel filter, breather mod, zero sports cool thermo, zero sports cool radiator, Samco hoses, Do-Luck Auto waterspray controller and Tek3.

Full current spec of my car is at:
http://www.hampshiresubaru.co.uk/mem...marklemac.html

Hard decision on the tmic for you. Maybe the newer MY04 PPP maps can compensate better. All I know is my experience of the amber lights which went away with octane boost, and ultimately with the remap.

Maybe you could ask AndyF how much he would charge for a day trip to Greece ? He could then remap your car