Notices

Which wires to tap for lamda and MAF signals?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2004, 12:31 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wires to tap for lamda and MAF signals?

I'm fitting an AFR gauge which needs the signal from the lamda sensor for mixture and the signal from the MAF for load (so an alarm sounds if mix goes lean while engine is under high load).

The ECU is in a UK MY95 1.6GL and says this on it:
N3
22611 AA780
MECF-B10 E1 4228
Hitachi, Japan

I doubt I'll find a wiring diagram or anyone who's fitted an AFR to a 1.6/1.8 (I assume, but don't know, that the ECU is different to a 2.0 non turbo), so I guess it would be better to tap at the sensor end of the wires.

Here there are fewer wires to choose from, but I still don't know which to cut! The MAF has Green, Black and Yellow+Blue wires; the Lamda has White, White (yes, 2!) and Black before the plug, then White, Black and Yellow+Red on the car side of the plug; which ones of those gives me my signal?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 22 January 2005, 12:00 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've found out that the black wire is the signal from the lamda, but still don't know about the MAF.

To clarify why I need a load signlal, here's the blurb from the kit manufacturer

3. Audible Alarm

In addition to its LED display, the Smart Mixture Meter has another important function. It monitors engine load by taking a feed from the airflow meter. When the load is high and the air/fuel ratio is lean, the alarm sounds. Since these two conditions should never occur together, you should never hear the alarm (apart from when setting the system up).

This feature is a real plus because it will immediately warn you of a catastrophic lean-out. These can occur when you get fuel surge when cornering hard (I lost an engine once that way) or when accelerating at full power and a fuel reg hose falls off. In both cases, you won’t normally be watching the LED display....
So anyone know which wire is the signal I need at the MAF?

Cheers