Notices

WANT to buy a scooby. ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2005, 10:27 PM
WANT STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WANT to buy a scooby. ADVICE

hello I just found this site... and am loking for a scoobie!
thinking of the STI maybe RA not sure about difference! I am looking for a FAST but stable car, with a good HP. I currently own a GT4 Celica 240/250BHP but want a much faster and more responsive car... am i in the right place???
help!!!!!
Old 01 January 2005, 10:29 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

what's your budget?
Old 01 January 2005, 10:34 PM
WANT STI
Scooby Regular

i am going to sell my GT4 for it so budget will be around 5k.
want a high BHP but on a stable engine, if u no what i mean dont want to over do it!
but would love a 0-60 under the 5sec... if poss.
im really not too sure thats why im in need of ur advice
Old 01 January 2005, 11:22 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Perhaps you can get an early WRX (pref STi) import (or uk) for around 4000 then spend 300 on exhaust and decat, a couple of hundred on knocklink and fuel pump, panel filter, and also 500 on a remap, and you will have 300 bhp reliable, 0-60 in around 5sec

Last edited by Roojai; 01 January 2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01 January 2005, 11:32 PM
WANT STI
Scooby Regular

wow do i really have to do that many things? thought sti was 280bhp... for 20bhp all that!!
but it will give me 5sec n 300ish yea??
also what about a 94/95 reg RA???? what are they
Old 02 January 2005, 10:12 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

The decat makes so much difference and it's worth getting the map not just for more power but to set the car up for uk fuel, as these imports are mapped for UK fuel. This is the 'stable' part of your request. I would advise this for any import that you want to push hard.

You might be able to reach your target with just the remap, but you would need a knocklink and a boost gauge.

look at this (specifications) to see different engines and pwer outputs

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Last edited by Roojai; 02 January 2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02 January 2005, 12:52 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Also look at the link below for some power runs...

http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/

When buying an import and stating power figures, you have to remember that the figures are quoted on Jap (102 ron) Fuel, so they are not nessasarily the power figures you will get when running it on crappy english fuel...!!!

From my experience on here there are two main ways of obtaining certain power, on a budget and then going all out...

First - On a budget, (all on standard Pre facelift Import WRX):

An early WRX can be bought for around 5k, so would be in your budget, but then comes the mods...!!!

ScoobyECU Re-map - can be bought for about £60 if you can get your hands on one, runs circa 16.5psi and is a cheap re-map option, knocklink etc will be required for peace of mind.

Full De-cat - it is almost an impossabilty to leave the system standard, because as soon as you here someone else's de-catted scoob go past you will get the Flat Four Bug...lol...about £500 for a good de-cat from turbo back...

Panel Filter or Cone Filter - about £30 - £200 depending on what you want...???

This should in theory see you around the 260-280BHP range, although i have the above mods done on my car and only saw 250BHP at Flywheel...

Since i have added a STI TMIC £200, Uprated Fuel Pump £200, and an uprated actuator £80...

It then ran 287 & 280lbft, which was nice...so these mods might need to be purchased...???

Secondly - More expensive:

Apexi PFC/Motec/Unichip standalone re-map - not sure how much really but as mentioned above Andy F map's the PFC for £700...

Full De-cat - as above...

Front Mount InterCooler - load of options, HKS/Blitz/Hybrid/Pace the worlds your oyster, around £600 - £1200...???

Larger Injectors - Uprated Injectors (440cc etc) from STI's can be had for about £150ish off here...

Bigger/Uprated Turbo - I think the one to go for is the modified TD05 with an uprated compressor wheel etc, someone off here sells them...

All will need at least Super Unleaded petrol (pref optimax), without re-map will need Optimax + Booster...

And all the other supporting mods you will need, i'm not going to pretend i know all of these as i hav'nt gone this route but someone will know...???

I think at the end of the day to get the best results for tuning a car is to get a good base car, if you buy a Uk Turbo 2000 97 on (which i think have a TD04, smaller turbo than WRX Imports) then you will need to do more work for similar power than on a TD05 Car...

Ok enough of my nattering or this post will be on page 4...!!!

HTH,

G.

Last edited by Greeno; 02 January 2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02 January 2005, 06:22 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Greeno - very surprised that your hp was only 250 with scoobyecu etc, but nice to see that the uprated IC made a big improvement.

I am running almost identical mods on my car!

Originally Posted by Greeno

I think at the end of the day to get the best results for tuning a car is to get a good base car, if you buy a Uk Turbo 2000 (which i think have a TD04, smaller turbo than WRX Imports) then you will need to do more work for similar power on a TD05 Car...

G.
The early uk cars had TD05 turbos, they were given td04's in 1997. All models of the JDM classic wagon have a TD04. So if you want a saloon, uk or jdm is fine, if it's a wagon then make sure it's a uk car.
Old 02 January 2005, 06:55 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Just edited my post mate...

So what mods and power are you running, i think the main reason my car pulled low power is that my Fuel pump was dicky, but i can't be sure as i fitted the Fuel pump, Actuator and TMIC before the next power run...???

Also have you ever been on www.sw-pc.com, as i noticed your from Taunton and there are loads of fellow southern guys with some nice cars on there, you should sign up...i have...

G.
Old 02 January 2005, 07:21 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

Yes 250bhp sounds a little weak. I have never dyno'd my ScoobyECU but was told by a previous owner it would do 280bhp but Dave Wallis then told me that was a little optimistic. Perhaps 260-270...

Interesting that your pump may be a problem. I am having lack of power and some knock link activity at the moment and am suspecting the pump....
Old 02 January 2005, 08:38 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Greeno,

It's a 94 JDM wagon so I had to put on a TD05 turbo then..

Scoobyecu (mapped to around 15.5psi)
decatted (STi backbox)
IC from 2002 WRX
Walboro Fuel pump
K&N panel filter
Other bits and pieces too like 4-pot brakes...

Don't know about the power, perhaps 290

Thanks for the link, I have joined.
Old 03 January 2005, 12:21 PM
Greeno
Scooby Regular

Yep pretty much the same as mine:

MY93 WRX Import:

Scorpion SS Centre Section and Downpipe (fully decated),
Afterburner Vortex Rear Silencer,
Hayward and Scott SS Up Pipe,
HKS Mushroom Filter,
STI 5/6 IC,
Baileys VTA Dump Valve,
Uprated 255lb Fuel Pump,
Uprated Actuator,
ScoobyECU Re-map (16.5psi),
GBE Manual Boost Controller.

Should get yours on the rollers, would be interesting to see what power you run...???

G.