Notices

Sometimes engine wont start but relay clicks in

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2004, 05:18 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes engine wont start but relay clicks in

I have a run around Mitsubishi Colt 1.6 glxi 1995 M reg. Within last 6 months it has developed an intermittent start problem. Sometimes when you turn the key relay clicks in but starter motor will not turn engine. Battery voltage is fine at 12.4 volts at stand still. This has become worse and this last week it wont turn at all. I am thinking it is the starter motor but not certain. I havent jacked car up and checked leads to Starter Motor either. The car starts first time if bump started and runs perfectly. Sometimes after bump starting and stopping, then engine restarts ok. I tried rocking car in gear to set starter motor in diff position but still no luck. Any ideas or if somone has had similar problems with a car let me know.
Old 20 December 2004, 05:36 PM
danieldenham
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the classic symptoms of a exhausted battery. The voltage might be high enough with no load when the starter is kicked in it drops below the relay threshold and so the relay clicks.

Get a new one and then charge it up for a few hours on a low voltage charger before you install it.

Dan
Old 20 December 2004, 09:32 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I suppose what I should do is get jump start to see if that works then its definitely the battery. Thanks anyway!

Originally Posted by danieldenham
Sounds like the classic symptoms of a exhausted battery. The voltage might be high enough with no load when the starter is kicked in it drops below the relay threshold and so the relay clicks.

Get a new one and then charge it up for a few hours on a low voltage charger before you install it.

Dan
Old 20 December 2004, 10:45 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Battery is a definite suspect - but it could just be the connectors!
Try removing and replacing them - worked on my old Mini........

alan
Old 20 December 2004, 11:47 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Could equally be the starter solenoid sticking - I had this on an old pug 405, nothing wrong with the battery at all. For a year or two, you just had to "persuade" it into life once every 2-3 months by battering the starter motor with a mallet, and then turning the key again. Eventually, it got worse and I changed the offending bits.
Old 20 December 2004, 11:49 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Actually just thinking about it, there's an easy way to check whether it's battery or something else. Turn the headlights on before turning the key on the starter motor. If they go very dim/go out when you try to start her up, it's a battery related problem. If they don't change, it's a dodgy connector or start solenoid.
Old 21 December 2004, 10:54 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Gets somebody to check the battery voltage when turn the ignition on. If it drops below 12v then your battery is goosed. If your voltage is above 12v then hit the starter motor with a hammer. If it starts then it has a dead spot on the armature- which means a new starter motor

Andy
Old 21 December 2004, 01:23 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, that strengthens my thoughts also. I will check it out and let you know.