Notices

Z4 - more boost/fuel cut/increase in bhp?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 03:23 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z4 - more boost/fuel cut/increase in bhp?

Have searched for definitive answer to this with no luck.

I currently have a MY95 with Z4 ecu, full de-cat and green panel filter.

Guesstimating about 280bhp?

Ok, q:

by purchasing an electronic boost controller, can I just up the boost a bit to achieve 300bhp ish?

Will I need to purchase anything else e.g. a FCD, or is this only necessary if I go over the Z4 fuel cut limit of 15.65psi?

i.e. 1 bar is 14.5psi, so if I up the boost to 1 bar/14.5psi hence an increase of 1.8psi, this is under the Z4 ecu fuel cut limit so everything therefore ok?

Any idea how much bhp increase raising boost from 12.7psi to 14.5psi would give?

If I raise boost to 1.1/1.2 which would raise boost over Z4 ecu limit, I would obviously then need an FCD?

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 19 November 2004, 10:41 PM
TheSquirrel
Scooby Regular

Before upping the boost fit the following to ensure you dont pop the engine

Knocklink to make sure the engine is not going to go bang
Air to Fuel Ratio meter to ensure the mix is rich enough
Uprated fuel pump to supply enough fuel at fifth gear, high load situations
Uprated fuel pressure regulator as the OE one is pants
A MAP sensor from a later car as the early cars OE MAP sensor doesnt produce a signal over 1.15 bar
FCD if you want to go past 17 psi IIRC

or you can just fit a boost contrller and pray that it runs at 300 horse with *****ing itself

The choice is yours

Grant
Old 20 November 2004, 12:04 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

as the squirrel says.. but other points to consider:
if you do not have a boost gauge that says you are running 12.7, I doubt you are as the decat probably brings you up to 13.xx.

So, as you are, a boost controller can give you perhaps 1psi more. Not worth it unless.... you get a FCD, or even better, get a scoobyecu mapped for a decat, 16psi, and uk fuel. Talk to David at API as he has a mate than can make that happen for ~500quid (including mapping ofr you own car with DET cans etc). Then you will have 300bhp easy, and no more fuel cut, no more speed limiter, and a safer map for uk fuel.

If on a really tight budge then just get the knocklink from thesquirrels list and add a dawes MBC and have a play. Get a AFR meter as well if pos.

I have a slightly beat up dawes that still works very well that I will send for 5 quid on top of postage.

Last edited by Roojai; 20 November 2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 20 November 2004, 10:31 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Roojai
as the squirrel says.. but other points to consider:
if you do not have a boost gauge that says you are running 12.7, I doubt you are as the decat probably brings you up to 13.xx.

So, as you are, a boost controller can give you perhaps 1psi more. Not worth it unless.... you get a FCD, or even better, get a scoobyecu mapped for a decat, 16psi, and uk fuel. Talk to David at API as he has a mate than can make that happen for ~500quid (including mapping ofr you own car with DET cans etc). Then you will have 300bhp easy, and no more fuel cut, no more speed limiter, and a safer map for uk fuel.

If on a really tight budge then just get the knocklink from thesquirrels list and add a dawes MBC and have a play. Get a AFR meter as well if pos.

I have a slightly beat up dawes that still works very well that I will send for 5 quid on top of postage.
Thanks, I'll probably leave it then. I have a knocklink which is v quiet with just Optimax - first green flickers at 80-90 on motorway.

Engine has done 100k too, so probably best to leave alone - just saw Blitz for sale and contemplated a 'play' as you say.

Its a rapid car as is, and if the knocklink is accurate (which I don't doubt), is giving a safe power level on just Optimax.

But you know what its like, you can never have too much power......

An Evo IV actually managed to overtake me the other day, ok so I started to back off when we got to a ton but he was with me all the way. More power!! Stop it StiX you mad fool.........