Notices

EGT error on my 04 WRX PPP

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2004, 09:55 AM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT error on my 04 WRX PPP

Threw in a green panel filter last weekend and since thne i've just drove to and from work in solid traffic.

Last night went out for a drive - cruising along at 80 mph and CEL comes on. Stopped the car, turned engine off, checked engine bay - no probs apparent. Started car up again, CEL stayed on - but the car wasn't in limp home mode - it was going really well so i carried on regardless.

Took it to the dealer this morning - they said it was the EGT sensor.

So, what has happened? Did the new filter cause the engine to run lean for a second? Bearing in mind i was cruising the ECu does try to lean the engine off doesnt it? Thats where the economy comes from yes?

Anyhoo - seems fine now and if it is the green filter i guess it'll settle down once it "dirties" up a bit. Certainly i can feel the difference between the green and the Sti panel filter - the green filter gives a noticable turbo whistle and induction noise, the Sti one didnt.

Thanks for any comments.

Old 11 November 2004, 11:40 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Merlin, the EGT sensor's have been known to fail on standard cars, my at the time standard MY01 needed one under warranty and then after it was modded i never had a problem again even with a full de-cat.

Zippy
Old 11 November 2004, 12:20 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Thanks Zippy, yeah i know they're a bit crappy - i blew two with my old bugeye.
Old 11 November 2004, 12:55 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Hi Merlin,

If your MY04 is the same as a MY01, the EGT sensor is in the up pipe (after the up pipe cat). It serves no real pupose other than to prevent the EGT getting hot enough to destroy the up-pipe cat. This may sound desirable, however the bits from the CAT then destroy your turbo.

If you replace your up-pipe, you can fit a resistor in the connector near the waste gate solenoid (under the black plastic cover nr the drivers side front strut). I can't remember the value, however I've got a handful in the glovebox just in case. The resistor can be used as a temporary fix to get you home etc as long as you're sure the EGT is not to hot!

Send me a PM with your name address and I'll stick one in the post to you.

See threads below for more info.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=egt
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&highlight=egt

Best regards,

Ian
Old 11 November 2004, 01:58 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Actually it does more than just protect the cat in the up pipe but even without it you wouldn't have problems!
JIM
Old 11 November 2004, 02:30 PM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Thanks all - Ian pm'd you - thanks for the kind offer.

Time to bypass the stupid thing me thinks. Well either that or it's put a piece of tape over the CEL on the dashboard so i cant see it
Old 11 November 2004, 07:44 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This happened to me twice be very careful and take the sensor out and fit a bung in its place and fit the resistor fix .On my bugeye the sensor which is a thin piece of metal actually snapped off and was lying in the bottom of the exhaust I was lucky it could have been pushed up through the turbo under extreme hard reving conditions this seems to be a recuring problem with the bugeyes and could be terminal for the turbo if it got picked up and pushed through it.
Old 12 November 2004, 09:07 AM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

It's happened again last night - god damn CEL again whilst cruising next to no throttle.

It's back with the dealer to sort out and i've got a funeral car for the day (Legacy estate).