Notices

Sump Plug stuck ! any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2004, 06:47 PM
wellsie
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sump Plug stuck ! any ideas?

Thought I would would do a quick oil change (Ha Ha), but 4 days later still can't budge the sump plug. Was already quite chewed up ( no corners,17mm socket just spun round, even with a hex socket on the flats) but I have tried with mole grips, one of those pump spanner/grip that tighten on the nut as you try to undo the fitting - tried when hot , cold, cooling the plug while oil hot, gripping the head and around the edge. Even made an indentation in the edge and tried to hammer it round with a punch to try to make it turn -- still not moved! Anyone got any ideas - is this common scooby problem. ( just thought - its not a LH thread is it?)
Old 30 October 2004, 06:59 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wellsie
Thought I would would do a quick oil change (Ha Ha), but 4 days later still can't budge the sump plug. Was already quite chewed up ( no corners,17mm socket just spun round, even with a hex socket on the flats) but I have tried with mole grips, one of those pump spanner/grip that tighten on the nut as you try to undo the fitting - tried when hot , cold, cooling the plug while oil hot, gripping the head and around the edge. Even made an indentation in the edge and tried to hammer it round with a punch to try to make it turn -- still not moved! Anyone got any ideas - is this common scooby problem. ( just thought - its not a LH thread is it?)
Weld a nut to it mate,disconnect battery/alternator first though (assuming u have access to one).
Old 30 October 2004, 07:03 PM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

Not a LH thread mate.
Could always find an old socket thats a fairly tight fit and JB weld it to the sump plug or epoxy glue. If you do not want to weld it that is.

I put a new one on every time, well worth a fiver for the stress.

Dave
Old 30 October 2004, 07:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

drop the sump!>>

drain the oil and and drill a hole in the plug, use an ezeeout

failing that file the head smaller and whack on a smaller socket use a feckun big bar on the rachet end also (scaffold tube)

Mart
Old 30 October 2004, 07:17 PM
wellsie
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for those suggestions - will try to araldite an old socket on as no access to welding gear. Hope the threads aren't stripped ! Already bought a new sump plug+washer as soon as I saw the state of the old one - will replace each time as suggested

Cheers - Mike
Old 31 October 2004, 10:44 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Had same on my old leggy. Finished up with a pair if stillsons on it and pipe