Notices

Fuel for an import

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2004, 02:31 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel for an import

Apologies if this is an FAQ but I've not been able to find a good answer.

I'll be getting my import Legacy B4 on Thurs and am wondering what to do about fuel since it's supposed to be run on 102 RON or something.

I will have a BP fuel card, so will be using BP Ultimate. Will this be sufficient or should I try to get a Shell fuel card instead?

My GF is suggesting that I mix in 25% avgas, but I have no idea where to get this or even if it's sane. I also don't fancy storing several weeks supply of the stuff in my boot.

Any suggestions?
Old 04 October 2004, 02:52 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Almost everyone on here will recommend Shell Optimax + Millers or NF Octane booster. Optimax is rated at 98 RON while Ultimate is 97 and more expensive. Booster bumps the RON up a couple of points getting it nearer to Japanese fuel.

£25 will buy ScoobyNet Plus membership which will allow you the use of the search facility. There's a mine of information on here. £25 well spent IMHO

Hope this helps.
Old 04 October 2004, 03:01 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Ultimate is cheaper for me as work will be paying for it.
Are the boosters actually worth it as from what I've read so far the little bottles you can buy are basically pure crap when you consider that you need to add 15-25% avgas to get you up to 100 RON.

Will the car run ok on BP ultimate (with, possibly, reduced performance) or will I need to get it retuned or anything?
Old 04 October 2004, 03:59 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Lum, if you really intend to run on SUL or optimax you would need to get the car remapped ideally ( if you can on a B4 ) OB is the most popular way of upping the RON rating, personnaly I wouldn't be too keen about running an avgas mix as everyday fuel, I've seen some good performance results from it but its a bit volitile to say the least, also consider getting a Knocklink to warn you of any detonation probs.

John

p.s. you can use search without being a SN+ member
Old 04 October 2004, 04:06 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New To Scoob

p.s. you can use search without being a SN+ member
Is that right? I thought search was limited. Sorry for misinformation, save another £25 then and get searching
Old 04 October 2004, 04:10 AM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton
Is that right? I thought search was limited. Sorry for misinformation, save another £25 then and get searching
Fraid so matey, just tried it to confirm.

John.
Old 04 October 2004, 08:26 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Well, general consensus seems to be the Nitrous Formula race mixture, but no info as to what sort of concentrations you need, bearing in mind I just want to keep the engine from blowing up until I decide what route to go down with this car.
Also, can someone tell me about underseal? The car was imported some time last year and I don't know if it's been done. The sales rep reckons it has but I couldn't tell and he also reckoned it had cruise control in the advert until I asked where it was (where is it BTW)
Also most of the info on here is about Imprezas, how much applies to the Legacy B4?
Old 04 October 2004, 09:32 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I use 1/6 of a bottle for road, 1/3 for track. NF can be a bit of a pain with having to measure it and pour it, and it ain't nice to paintwork.

I tend to use Millers, at about £3 a bottle- 1 bottle per tank.
Old 04 October 2004, 10:00 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
I use 1/6 of a bottle for road, 1/3 for track. NF can be a bit of a pain with having to measure it and pour it, and it ain't nice to paintwork.

I tend to use Millers, at about £3 a bottle- 1 bottle per tank.
I did like the sound of Millers more, maybo not so performance oriented but protects the engine which is the main thing.

How do they treat your spark plugs? NF is supposed to cover them in cack, is millers any better?

Got a URL for Millers and/or a supplier?
Old 04 October 2004, 10:04 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

millers will cover them in red oxide stuff, but its never caused me a problem in 100+k miles.

you can buy it from demon-yweeks.com (speak to steve wooley) or odirect, www.millersoils.co.uk.

they also do CVL- competition valve lubricant, which is not CAT friendly, and CVL turbo, which I use in the RA track car. expensive, but keeps the DET at bay and reduces temperatures.

well worth the investment- even if its only for peace of mind, £3 a bottle is cheap compared with about £3k for a new engine
Old 04 October 2004, 10:08 PM
richiewong
Twatful

The main point is protecting your car from det.
So use Optimax and a booster, many SNetters swear by NF including myself, 1ml per litre or above.

http://www.nfeurope.com/stockists.htm Got 10 bottles from http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.com
Old 04 October 2004, 10:43 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
The main point is protecting your car from det.
So use Optimax and a booster, many SNetters swear by NF including myself, 1ml per litre or above.
Problem I have is, I have to use BP due to the fuel card, it's either that or pay for my own fuel, which frankly I can't afford given the mileage I do.
I'm not planning to do track days and not really exceet the speed limit much, just have fun on country roads and overtake lots of codgers and trucks, I'll also spend lots of time plodding up and down the motorway and stationary on the M6.

Will BP Ultimate + Millers be enough, the implication is that it will bring me to 99 RON.
Isn't Japanese fuel something like 98 standard and 101 for "super"?
Old 05 October 2004, 01:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

you should be fine. may be worth investing in a knocki-link just to be double-sure.
Old 05 October 2004, 07:30 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
you should be fine. may be worth investing in a knocki-link just to be double-sure.
I did look at one, read the fitting instructions.

Step 1 - Remove intercooler

*wibble*
This car is 15 times more expensive than any car I have ever owned and frankly I'm afraid to touch it, at least until I'm more familiar with it (I do intend to do my own oil and filter change after 7.5K miles)

Is there anywhere near Aylesbury that could fit the thing for me? I intend to modify it afterwards though as the box is hideous, and I should be able to take wires from the 5 LED sockets up to a much smaller and nicer looking box, maybe including a buzzer, then hide the knocklink in the space that will become available when I get rid of the double DIN radio (the legacy appears to have both a double din and a single din, the latter of which currently contains a useless japanese TV and satnav)
Old 05 October 2004, 10:40 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I thought Avgas contained tetra-ethyl-lead which will stuff things up?
Old 06 October 2004, 12:53 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Houghton

£25 will buy ScoobyNet Plus membership which will allow you the use of the search facility. There's a mine of information on here. £25 well spent IMHO

Hope this helps.
W T F ?????????
Old 06 October 2004, 03:24 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avgas is 100LL has a very high lead content compared to road fuel. It is designed for low compression big capacity low output power units (5 litre and 180 bhp) It is also formulated to reduce the effects of carb icing. It is not particularly suitable for prolonged road use and it is more expensive than road fuel.
Your best Option is NF. I have done many trials on octane boosters and so far NF is noticably ahead. With a Knock Link you will be able to make your own observations and compare Millars with NF etc.
Old 06 October 2004, 03:25 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

you don't have to pay for membership to use search BTW
Old 06 October 2004, 10:35 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Well in the search for opinions, I rang Demon Tweeks and asked what they thought I should use. The recommended Millers CVL which is more expensive, you have to use twice as much and it can't be used on a vehicle with a catalyst.
I'm pretty sure my B4 has a catalyst as it just passed an MOT so am I right in thinking that they are talking through their backside?
Old 06 October 2004, 10:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Speak to Steve Wooley @ Demon-Tweeks.

CVL is great, a lot of the highly mod'd impreza and evo drivers use it, and there is also a new product called CVL Turbo.

Both are excellent, but neither are suitable for use with cats, which they will kill pdq

have a look at www.millersoils.co.uk
Old 06 October 2004, 10:58 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
Speak to Steve Wooley @ Demon-Tweeks.

CVL is great, a lot of the highly mod'd impreza and evo drivers use it, and there is also a new product called CVL Turbo.

Both are excellent, but neither are suitable for use with cats, which they will kill pdq

have a look at www.millersoils.co.uk
Again, since I'm not (initially) looking for performance and do have a cat, this is no good.

I've been to their website (well, the .net version) but it's a little thin on the ground information wise, so I emailed them and got a reply from someone who could not spell "octane" but attached what they claimed was a datasheet but in reality was a .DOC file (that I couldn't bloody open until I downloaded OpenOffice) containing the same sales blurb as the website only in black and white.

Does anyone know what's actually in this stuff as I'd like to have an idea what random chemicals I'm putting through my engine, so that I can run them by a few knowledgeable people to see if it's sane.
Old 07 October 2004, 08:06 AM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Lum,

Use either NF or Millers Octane plus.

Mark
UK Twin Turbo Legacy Register