Notices

Remap question,is a KL needed?

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 09:35 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remap question,is a KL needed?

I know this may sound like a silly question,its just that I was advised to have a KL fitted before the remap.
I do have a KL,but its stopped working and I only have a day before the mapping.

Is it necceray for the mapper or is it just to benefit the owner?
I am having it mapped by BRD and am under the impression that they will use DET cans.Is this correct?
Old 30 September 2004, 09:45 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Its not for the mapper m8, its for you, just in case anything goes wrong after its been mapped- like a crap tank of fuel, a hose come off etc etc.....
Old 30 September 2004, 09:52 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Oh good

So I dont need to panic,just take it easy till I get it fixed.

Its always the way,things go wrong at the worst times,but in this case I should be ok.

Thanks for that RRH
Old 30 September 2004, 10:14 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dij
I know this may sound like a silly question,its just that I was advised to have a KL fitted before the remap.
I do have a KL,but its stopped working and I only have a day before the mapping.

Is it necceray for the mapper or is it just to benefit the owner?
I am having it mapped by BRD and am under the impression that they will use DET cans.Is this correct?
Don't worry for the remap. Bob will know it's detting before you do - You'll be too busy watching the road to notice any flashing LEDS!
Old 30 September 2004, 10:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll be too busy watching the road to notice any flashing LEDS
i wouldnt go as far to say that, ive been at 120mph on a bend when mapping and still looking at the knocklink to make sure it doesnt flash up red
Old 30 September 2004, 10:20 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Its funny you say that,I thought I will be left to wait somewhere whilst Bob and his partner take the car?
Does this mean I will be driving?
Old 30 September 2004, 10:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

usually yes. otherwise you pay two peoples wages
Old 30 September 2004, 10:25 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

you don't want to miss out on the experience either ... Also too many beers the night before would be a bad move ... LoL

Steve
Old 30 September 2004, 10:29 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys

Hopefully I will be driving,I wont be able to stand waiting for 2-3 hours.

Sorry to ask the questions here,its just that Im trying to avoid asking questions to the chap at BR.
Old 30 September 2004, 10:31 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
usually yes. otherwise you pay two peoples wages
£763 is two peoples wages isnt it?
Well its more than I earn in a week anyway let alone a few hours.
Old 30 September 2004, 10:40 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Ask many questions .. Bob knows plenty

Richmond or Swindon ?
Old 30 September 2004, 11:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dij

Here's a copy of my experience seeing Bob Rawle for a re-map for my bugeye

Mark.. Here's a brief rundown of my re-map with Bob earlier this year.

....I got there early and bob was ready for me so no probs there. Had a chat about Subaru's and after 10 seconds I realised that Bob knew more than me by a factor of a million but still took time to explain things . He changed the Boost solenoid and renewed the pipes, advised me about the fuel pipes to the new FSE reg, Altered the Reg to suit the pump and the injectors

Then Bob attached a boost gauge, jacked up the car and fitted a wide band Lambda taking care to make sure they went into the car without damaging the car (I'm a tart). Then the electrics / laptop / wires / went in which had me hopelessly lost

Bob went back and checked the boost, lambda and electrics ( now it was like being a jet fighter pilot checking things again).

Then Bob explained what he was doing in terms of fuelling, ignition, boost etc while we drove around up and down a dual carriageway. Nothing dangerous from a driving point of view as the road is pretty straight but takes a lot of concentration driving at certain boost level. Biggest problem from a danger point of view is turning around at the roundabouts as the markings are not great !!

It takes quite a while, most of it in a layby while Bob downloads the refined Map.

There is no "redlining it at outrageous speeds" as Bob maps for safety and drivability

I have to say that for a short time Bob has to check the Map at the top end of the envelope !!

Just sit back and enjoy the day, Bob's undoubted knowledge and the endresult !!

Does this help ??

Midlife
Old 01 October 2004, 07:49 AM
dij
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

certainly does
thanks midlife
Old 01 October 2004, 07:52 AM
dij
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
Ask many questions .. Bob knows plenty

Richmond or Swindon ?
Was meant to be Richmond (2miles away from me),but now its Swindon (80 miles away).

I havent been able to speak to Bob himself yet,but I look forward to speaking to him on saturday.
Old 01 October 2004, 11:04 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dij
Was meant to be Richmond (2miles away from me),but now its Swindon (80 miles away).

I havent been able to speak to Bob himself yet,but I look forward to speaking to him on saturday.
If it's Swindon then you will be driving, if it's Richmond the Bob & Branko take the car out and you have to lose yourself for about 3 hours
Old 01 October 2004, 11:34 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

It is soooo much fun driving while Bob gives instruction on what he wants you to do!!

Just remember to watch out for plod.... We were doing a 1.2bar 5th gear run when I spotted him... and at a closing speed of 50mph+ it does not give u long to hide in traffic!!
Old 01 October 2004, 12:05 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience with Pat running a 1.4 bar map
Old 01 October 2004, 10:16 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I enjoyed taking a back seat, I learned much more watching Bob rather than a boost gauge , Branko knows exactly what Bob is after as well

its just all streight line stuff any way( well was at Swindon )
Old 01 October 2004, 11:11 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
It is soooo much fun driving while Bob gives instruction on what he wants you to do!!

Just remember to watch out for plod.... We were doing a 1.2bar 5th gear run when I spotted him... and at a closing speed of 50mph+ it does not give u long to hide in traffic!!

so you have had to have your car re mapped

can't belive they can get away with it
Old 01 October 2004, 11:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

so you have had to have your car re mapped

can't belive they can get away with it
its shocking aint it
Old 01 October 2004, 11:55 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Bob today,and I feel much more confident now.
Seems like a very nice bloke.

Cant wait,only 12 hours to go

wooohoo

I am a little worried about the plod aswell,but Ill just have to hope it all goes well.
Old 02 October 2004, 11:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Hi

I guess you can't reply as third gear has you in so much histerics you have gone to bed in a coma

Midlife.....
Old 03 October 2004, 01:05 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

lol I remeber when I had mine done

took the girl friend home about 10pm didn't get back to mine till at least 3 am, 5 miles never felt so good
Old 03 October 2004, 10:34 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

dij

How did it go ????
Old 04 October 2004, 11:36 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Not had much time since the weekend to post.

Was a bit a dissaster to start off with,whilst trying to reflash,the ecu went down and lost all its memory.
After a fair bit of messing around with another ecu,it looked like I was going to be going home on a recovery truck or with a £300 bill and nothing gained.

Fortunately Bob had a link ecu which he offered to me for £1045 inc mapping,and at this point with only an hour before the next customer was due ,I had to take it.

The mapping was fun,although a little scary at times,trying to look at the boost gauge and the road at 120 was a little difficult,but good fun.

Eventually went home with a much faster and responsive car,but a little upset by the extra cost.

I havent been able to find out much about the link so far so I was hoping for some opinions on it.Im happy that it dosent rely on the MAF or lambda sensor,but am a little concerned about the reliability and/or the smoothness of the car,it does seem to be a little difficult to control boost on the motorway and does jerk when coming on and off boost.

How much do these ecu's normally go for?

BTW,thanks Bob for being patient and getting it sorted.
Top man
Old 05 October 2004, 12:08 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Hi Dij

Sorry to hear about the problems Normally Bob maps EcuTeK first time around for about £700 so I wonder if you had a group buy ??

I have often thought about a Link ECU but the huge cost has always put me off. On the road the Link is better than the TEK3 according to many, When I was at Bob's getting my re-map there was a 22B from Leeds awaiting a Link ECU.... it also does away with the MAF and Lambda

Give it a couple of days and post again

PS With the LinK ECU Bob can emulate the ECU on his laptop and there is no long delays while he has to stop the car and re-flash the ECU. So probably quite quick
Old 05 October 2004, 04:28 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

He charged you for fragging your ecu up.....nice ! remind me never to let him near my ecu in case it "went down" while he was working with it.....
Old 05 October 2004, 05:12 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

So lets get this straight, he fubared your ECU then had the gaul to charge you just the £1000 for a new one, well how nice of him, did he pull your pants up for you after he had finnished making you bend over and bite down.

I cant believe you payed him, i would have wanted my car back to standard as it was before it was broke or the Link ECU at the original agreed TEK 3 price,it wasnt your fault he fried your ECU.

It sounds like he made out he was doing you a favour, i would have made the next customer bl##dy wait while he sorted out the problem for the agreed re-map fee.
Old 05 October 2004, 05:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very occasionally a reflash of the 99/00 ECU can result in it not working properly and the car will not restart. The ECU is then fit for the bin.

The usual is to then fit another ECU at the mapper's expense and try again, whilst always keeping at least one original spare so that the worst case is that you send the customer away with no charge and a standard ECU, with the possibility to try another day.

A few cars with non-standard immobilisers can present particular problems, and fry the ECU by cutting the ECU power supply mid program - which it doesn't tolerate. It is an all or nothing process.

Doing away with the MAF is sometimes a backwards step when reliable MAFs are now available for 99/00 with the right choice of intake and dump valve. It is proven that transient response is superior with a MAF sensor (even one which sits along loads of pipework from the inlet ports in the heads) which far more accurately and quickly models the airflow needs of the engine, and is far more tolerant to changes in environmental conditions and engine wear. Speed density systems that measure inlet pressure and temperature (and many UK 99/00 Links don't even do temperature unless a sensor has been installed) still suffer an inconsistency related to changes in VE on the exhaust side of the engine - eg exhaust gas temperature and pressure which can vary dramatically but are seldom measured and modelled. There are very few if any examples of smooth emissions compliant passenger cars that don't use a MAF now, despite speed density being cheaper to implement and saving a lot of warranty claims on MAF sensors.

Link and GEMS usually use speed density (MAP based) and from what I've seen of examples mapped by experts on these ECUs they suffer in terms of idle, starting and daily driver type duties, many I would find unacceptable. I've not sampled MoTeC or Pectel, but we are in another price bracket then.

There is a lot to be said for sticking with a MAF sensor. Even Andy Forrest is trying to sort his surge port/inlet issues on what is the fastest Subaru so far in the UK so he can run a MAF sensor again, because the transient behaviour and accuracy is so obviously superior.

So don't assume losing the MAF is all it is cracked up to be. I think usually it is a mistake and you'd be better with a PowerFC or reflashed OEM ECU. Others will disagree and fancy specs of car can benefit from doing it differently.

dij, I'm sure BRD will see you right and sort you out with something you are happy with, Bob is a top bloke. If there are issues with your Link map that must have been done quite quickly, then a lot of them can be resolved with a further tweak, despite what I say about them

Last edited by john banks; 05 October 2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06 October 2004, 11:14 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

dij

Just wondering how the Scoobs doing ??

Shaun

Quick Reply: Remap question,is a KL needed?