Will I need a remap???

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2004, 12:34 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I need a remap???

Hi all

ok im now well into modding my suabru now with it being off the road since end of may and need some advice on the next steps to take please!

Current Engine spec: WRX 1993 import :
Z4 ECU with scooby chip 15.5psi
HKS 3" d/pipe, scoobyworld vortex angled backbox and (slightly) resonated centre pipe - so no cats!
blitz iridium plugs & new coil packs
K & N Induction kit - to be changed for Blitz sus s/steel (car is going to be a weekend car so low miles as i know the blitz filtration isn't fantastic!)
Samco coolant and turbo hoses
new cambelt
power pulleys
JW manual boost controller - not set up yet
HKS Fuel cut defender - to be ordered yet
Up rated Walbro fuel pump

Now the main question(s) afaik is that will i be able to have my car rolling roaded and for them to be able to set up the FCD and boost valve for me to gain any power? OR do i need to scrap the scooby ecu?

I'm Intending on taking the car to Jap-innovations early next year - i know thats ages off but im in the middle of saving for a flip paint job and other mods!!!

& i have also fiited safety gauges such as knock link, afr, boost gauges, volts and oil pressure.
All suspension - eibach springs, anti-lift kit, front & back roll bars and links have been done and brakes, i have ebc discs & pads, s/steel brake lines and brake support bracket to stop flexing on the bulk head.

Oh and i've put a nice set of 17"'s on, aftaburner rear lights, clear front /side repeaters, STI 8 bonnet scoop & jun front splitter!

I know ive spent a fair few grand here.... so please no comments on what i could have bought instead. I love my scoob to bits and enjoy this modding bug it brings with it!

Soz for the long thread - thanks in advance

Tim J
Old 22 September 2004, 03:56 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Does scooby ecu not already incorperate a fuel cut defencer? If you just stick on a manual boost controller and up the boost you run the risk of damage (depending on the chip's mapping) and will not be making the best power you could at whatever boost you choose.

Dave
Old 22 September 2004, 04:19 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

thx for reply,

afaik scott t who installed the chip said fuel cut was at 17-18psi.
So if i up the boost from 15.5psi to 18 ish then i will hit fuel cut without a doubt so i am putting a hks fcd on, so is this going to be ok and benefit the crs performance i set up by people in the know!

Cheers
Old 22 September 2004, 04:54 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's a case of a yes or no question. What you suggest would be imho a temporary solution, not a car you would say you're finished with. If you're rolling road guys are decent they will monitor knock and make sure you're fueling alright and give you advice on what to do next.

Dave
Old 22 September 2004, 09:34 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, here we go!

Q> Do I need a remap? - answer - for best results, ECU should be set to work with mods to fuelling and breathing. so YES, but unless you have a custom mapped ScoobyECU then you can't ... unless you buy something else.
ScoobyECU is a great base though for improvements...

re RB5 245 - ScoobyECu lifts fuel cut a little to around 17.2 ( depending on ECU / year / model I believe ) but is set to a safe-ish level .. no removal just a small lift.
So a manual boost controller with std ECU /Z4 or ScoobyECU will still limit overall boost safely.

Timmy has sensibly got most gauges - ARF, Knock, boost, oil, and done upgrades to suspension and brakes.

A manual boost valve - JW Racing or Dawes or similar - will increase boost level, by bypassing the boost control solenoid, so ScoobyECU has no effect on that parameter. BUT ScoobyECU does generally improve and make more suitable ( for UK fuel ) the ingintion and fuel maps, boost control etc. but extra boost must be within it's limits .. so no 20 PSI + monsters really.
The gauges should show knock / weak fueling if you go too far.

People in the know / rolling road operators should set you up, if you pay for diagnostic session not just a power run, to suit your wishes and equipments limits, hopefully safely. And advice where you may have gone wrong / next step.

I guess you are at 250 bhp if you are on a TD04, maybe 280 max if a TD05 turbo - is car a wagon or saloon / what turbo?

Personally, I would ditch the Blitz filter .. eats MAFs even though you have a "tougher" earlier MAF. Try NGK PFR7B plugs next plug change instead of Blitz ones; also suggest an uprated fuel regulator like SX or FSE 1:1 models to cope with uprated Walbro fuel pump; earth mod; look for a larger TMIC that you can fit next e.g. STi V or MYUK 2000 one if it is modified to fit with underscoop plate; i/c water spray; improve cold air feeds;

Then it's after market ECUs, hybrid turbos, FMIC, larger injectors, etc etc...
Old 22 September 2004, 10:20 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I am getting a Z4 ECU remapped in a couple of weeks at API, so it is possible to get that remapped on its own. Not too cheap though but under 500
Old 22 September 2004, 10:32 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rupert

Is that a straight remap on the ECU's original map / chips / components, or are you having an adaptor board fitted ... that allows mapping? Similar to a ScoobyECU or Power Engineerings offerings IIRC ? ( and other piggy back boards I must add.. )
Old 22 September 2004, 11:44 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's an adapter board. Mapper will set up the ECU for UK fuel, desired boost level, and my particular mods and set-up, and my driving style (ie preferred rev range use)

Vulnax99, you have a wagon don't you, any good websites referring to the full specs of the wagon engine such as its compression ratio? Would just like to see it all in black and white

Sorry to hijack the thread BTW.

I would go for a remap for peace of mind.

Last edited by Roojai; 23 September 2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 23 September 2004, 09:58 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

thanks for that vulnax999

The turbo is a td05 and its a saloon. dont know if this changes the situation!?

But thats great advice, i will ask them to set it up and then do a power run, i would anyway because i would be terrified of damaging the engine knowing that the mods need to be set up correctly to get any benefit.

So (call me thick here if you want...) are you saying that with the jw race boost valve and hks fcd on top of my z4 ecu with scoobychip i will get a little more power aslong as its set up correctly?
I use optimax and still put octane booster in even though the map allows to run uk fuel alone.

Many thanks

Tim