Oil thickness?

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2004, 12:15 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil thickness?

Hi Peeps

Durring the past few months i have been doing alot of short journeys in my car which has started to make the tappets quite noisey ( Yes its a Legacy ) so i changed the oil to Motul 300V and since then they have been very loud and almost constant!

Now in the handbook it says that the oil should be 10w-40 not 15w-50 like motul, but because everyone raves about it i thought why not.

My question is, do i drain out the motul which cost £50 and done about 500 miles and replace it with a thinner oil like it says in the book to help my tappets as i just can't bear it now?

Please advise

My engine has done about 50k so i wouldn't have said they are poo poo.

Thanks
Comper100
Old 18 September 2004, 07:11 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comper100
Hi Peeps

Durring the past few months i have been doing alot of short journeys in my car which has started to make the tappets quite noisey ( Yes its a Legacy ) so i changed the oil to Motul 300V and since then they have been very loud and almost constant!

Now in the handbook it says that the oil should be 10w-40 not 15w-50 like motul, but because everyone raves about it i thought why not.

My question is, do i drain out the motul which cost £50 and done about 500 miles and replace it with a thinner oil like it says in the book to help my tappets as i just can't bear it now?

Please advise

My engine has done about 50k so i wouldn't have said they are poo poo.

Thanks
Comper100
For the piece of mind, I personally would change it for a 10w40 oil as you drive many short journeys. Although I use mobil 1 15w50 in mine, this is because my normal journey is around 25-30 miles + plus a track day or two.
Old 18 September 2004, 08:00 PM
STE.W.(atome)
Scooby Regular

Location: "Good Lord, I'm Getting A Reading Of Over 40 Mega-Fonzies On The Coolometer!!"

I too have a Leggy T and have used Motul, Mobil m-sport, Millers, Castrol etc etc in 50 and 60 grades etc etc.

What I have found is that my tappets are noisy after the oil change and get quieter through the middle stint of the 2.5 - 3k miles between changes.

As the weather is starting to get colder it is most probable that the 15 is a tad too thick but I wouldnt drop it out just yet unless you are going to keep it and put it back in at say around May time when the climate gets "slightly" warmer

A year or so back I dropped Millers 10/60 CRS (I think its called) out and replaced it with Mobil motorsport 15/50. Coincidentaly, it was this time of year but I was concerned and after a couple of hunred miles of clatter, I swapped for Shell helix plus 10/40 to see if all went quiet. It didnt! So I put the Mobil back in and put up with it for its full stint.

I read on the Liberty rs forum (Oz sight for Leggy's) that they all have personal preference and that different types and grades seem to suit different cars with differing levels of wear!

I'm using Castrol RS 10/60. Now after a summer of Motul 15/50, my tappets came back noisey with the Motul and have gone quiet(er) again with Castrol.BUT, I did run a couple of hundred miles worth of Shell helix 10/40 semi synth "diesel" oil (FLAME SUIT READY!!) in between to utilise the extra detergents in the diesel grade as an experiment.(too pished to spell check)

I have in the past tried the 1 ltre of DextronII idea from David of API (TOP BLOKE) before draining approach but my car seems to have been happier with the 10 grade rather than the cleaning ideas I feel.

I know its a bit of a dick about but if you can be bothered, buy half a dozen Subaru genuine filters (now the prices are good) and ask for discount, then put them in your garage and every oil change try a different grade / make and see if the tappets sort them selves out. Frequency and quality are obviously the most important aspects though.

The frequent oil changes could also be responsible for breaking down crud from the previous owners possible neglect or crap oil choices in the past.

The only real cure is Impreza heads but if your messing with boost levels then the compression is too high and you risk furking the engine. (So I have been told any way!)

Oil Man (Simon), unless he's been flamed to **** like Greasemonkey seem to know his $hit at the moment but i'm sure we've talked on the threads he's involved in already.

Unless some one tells me other wise, I will give his suggested 10/50 Silkolene PRO S a go to see if that makes any difference. Bob Rawle (who I would trust 100%) didnt seem to keen the last time I was trying to read it all (in works time!) but I havnt got round to wading through the LUBRICATIN YOUR... thread yet.

I'm still not sure that following the Impreza oil grades is totaly corect for the Legacy with its different (pants) tappets but it would be cool to be advised on this too!

Hope this cobblers helps in some way. Had a couple of sherberts so it might a completely different reply when I read it in the morning

Ste
Old 18 September 2004, 08:40 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys guys thats great.

I've just droped the oil out of the car now and ive put some Castrol 10W-40 in instead. Its early days yet but i think it sounds better already. It was just getting daft with the Motul. It was soo loud and alll the way up the rev range. Hopefully i intend to get an STI engine for my leg next year thus eliminating the problem and gaining a few ponies while im at it .

Nice to see another Leggy owner out there in the pack of impreza owners!

Thanks alot
Comper100
Old 18 September 2004, 08:42 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

I have tried all oil's in the cossie, the best is millers motorsport 10 - 60 by a long way.
Old 18 September 2004, 08:44 PM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

Yeah i might try that next time, i think i may leave this oil in for a while because £50 for a Motul flush oil is a bit much!

Comper100
Old 18 September 2004, 09:57 PM
STE.W.(atome)
Scooby Regular

Location: "Good Lord, I'm Getting A Reading Of Over 40 Mega-Fonzies On The Coolometer!!"

Comper100,
no worries mate, hope that lot made sense

Did you bin theMotul or keep it??

Hope the latter mate

Dingy,

I thought Millers was good too but went with the trend at the time of Mobil and have not gone full circle yet

G'Night Y'all

Ste
Old 18 September 2004, 09:57 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

50 QUID **** me......u got 60l in yours ?
Old 18 September 2004, 09:59 PM
dingy
Scooby Regular

I guess i pay less than most for millers then.

Mobile one motorsport is over double what i pay for millers......
Old 19 September 2004, 10:23 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

£50 quid was for the lot, was about a tenner a litre! I also did the gearbox and diff, so it was about a £100 in all!

Comper100