strange noice

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 03:20 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noice

Hi,

I had my wrx STi -2003 ecutek'ed with a modded exhaust, decat-downpipe and center with racecat and a nice backbox(the system is 2.5").

I was driving on the motorway in 6h gear and applied throttle to pass when I hit Fuel-cut followed by a loud bang that appeared comming from the back of the exhaust. Next the cel went on so I plugged in my OBDII-scan to check the code, there was only 1 code:
P0244 -Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input)
Cleared it and it has not shown since.

The car seemed to be running as normal in 1-3rd gear but 4-6th gear in rpms over 4000 the turbo whining is replaced by a hacking choking noice that appears to be trailing of as the rpms goes up.
Could this be due to the fact that boost is usually focused in the rpms where I get the stange sounding noice and the boost is lower in high rpms and gear 1-3?

My tuner belives that the wastegate is causing this behaviour.

What do all you technically skilled people think the problem is, could it be a leak of air that only is heard at higher boost levels or is it the wastegate?

A worried soul...
Old 20 August 2004, 04:48 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loscooby
Hi,

I had my wrx STi -2003 ecutek'ed with a modded exhaust, decat-downpipe and center with racecat and a nice backbox(the system is 2.5").

I was driving on the motorway in 6h gear and applied throttle to pass when I hit Fuel-cut followed by a loud bang that appeared comming from the back of the exhaust. Next the cel went on so I plugged in my OBDII-scan to check the code, there was only 1 code:
P0244 -Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input)
Cleared it and it has not shown since.

The car seemed to be running as normal in 1-3rd gear but 4-6th gear in rpms over 4000 the turbo whining is replaced by a hacking choking noice that appears to be trailing of as the rpms goes up.
Could this be due to the fact that boost is usually focused in the rpms where I get the stange sounding noice and the boost is lower in high rpms and gear 1-3?

My tuner belives that the wastegate is causing this behaviour.

What do all you technically skilled people think the problem is, could it be a leak of air that only is heard at higher boost levels or is it the wastegate?

A worried soul...

bump