Notices

Performance Upgrades advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2004, 10:16 PM
ad-man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Performance Upgrades advice!

Hi Guys, Just picked up my totally standard X reg bug eye, and obviously want to fit some new goodies to it!! On my last impreza, I fitted an induction kit, HKS dump valve and full decat exhaust.

I have a friend who works for Powerstation in Cheltenham, (have you heard of it? They are ment to know everything about scoobies!!) They have advised me to fit a panel filter, instead of an induction kit, a £85 Bailey dumpy instead of a £250 + HKS SSQ BOV, and a full exhaust, but with a sports cat.

I couldn't believe it!! i know that induction kits can suck up warm engine bay air, but surely it would be better than a restrictive air box with a panel filter? Surely a cat would restrict exhaust gases more than a decat? Surely a £250 dumpy is better than a £85 one??

Some advice would be great guys, as Im itching to order some bits, but want to do it properly!!

Cheers, Ad.
Old 07 August 2004, 03:35 PM
loony toon
Scooby Regular

Talking

I got a x reg wrx too and with the following mods

Green air filter
uprated fuel pump
full decat
Tek 3
Hks bov

this made 283bhp on the rolling road

I have been told that an induction kit does not actually make any difference until you hit 350bhp plus so i have not added one

Tony

p.s just added a vf30 turbo and sti 7 injectors got to sort out the remap and see how it goes
Old 07 August 2004, 03:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ad-man,

With an STi panel filter, i gained over 10bhp and 15lbs of torque (approx 3.5-4% increase), so even in that restrictive air box you have room for improvement
Personally im not a great fan of induction kits, they have been known to cause maf failures on MY99 cars onwards due to vibration.
You may not get quite the same noise with a panel filter, but there should be marked improvement, especially towards the top end of the rev range

Tony
Old 07 August 2004, 04:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The induction porting on a Scoob is amongst the best there is. Some people remove the resonator box in the inner wing but generally a good panel filter (STi (replaceable), Green/JR Racing/K&N (lifetime)) is the only improvement needed until you reach big power. Tony's right about IK's and MAF failure, plus the potential reduction in power I also have to question your need for a different DV. There is a long running discussion on here which seems to confirm that the standard recirc already fitted is the best DV for the Scoob. BOV's fool the AFR sensor into overfueling which is what causes the pops and bangs through the exhaust. As your removing your Cats anyway (seriously consider a remap), damaging them is no longer an issue, but you might want to consider the effects of borewash (knackered cylinder linings and thin oil leading to potential big end failure) and the prospect that you'll look cool to every chav you drive by, but a total kn0b to all the worlds decent folk. There have been quite a few people who thought their BOV's gave them a power increase, but were astounded when replacing the standard item that the opposite was true (placebo after spending so much £ )
On a final note, power is not everything. You might want to consider uprating the brakes and suspension to cope with the existing power better. Some better pads, fluid and braided lines will improve the braking for little outlay (F1 teams spend more on brake development than engines as the ability to brake 2m later will gain more time around a track than 50bhp, which would be very expensive to acheive). On the suspension consider the drop links and some good springs (Prodrive/Eibach) and if you want it really stiff uprate the ARB's and consider an anti lift kit (you have to want it seriously stiff though).
On a final note, enjoy your new car mate.

Last edited by corradoboy; 07 August 2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07 August 2004, 09:27 PM
ad-man
Scooby Newbie

Thanks a lot guys, panel filter it is then!! Can anybody give me some good web sites to get some good quality bits from?
Old 07 August 2004, 09:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/
http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/servicing.html
http://www.scoobyclinic.com/
http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/
http://www.brdevelopments.com/intro.html

Amongst many....
Old 07 August 2004, 09:43 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

http://www.stiracing.com/

Trending Topics

Old 07 August 2004, 10:15 PM
MY99-5DR
Scooby Regular

Make a trip to TSL Motorsport near Nottingham. The guys there are super friendly and will provide top quality, objective advice and guidance on wallet-emptying widgets! If money is no object, consider their 333 pack, but as Corradoboy says, also spend time on brakes and handling. Again, TSL offer a superb 4 wheel alignment for about £125 inc VAT - probably the best upgrade I have done so far, handling is transformed.

Have fun!

Andy