Notices

can anyone supply me with a vos or scoobyecu?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2004, 09:09 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone supply me with a vos or scoobyecu?

Hi,
i'm looking for either a vos chip or scoobyecu? its become a bit of a challenge now as no one is answering my mails. i've been told that scoobyecu people are busy with totb3 but what about adrian vos? if anyone knows of one for sale or can put me in touch with someone, i would be very happy.

cheers
rob
Old 19 July 2004, 11:19 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

adrian Vos can be reached at his email
vosadrian@yahoo.com.au
He normally replies within 24 hours unless it's the weekend and he can get a chip to you within 5 days of him receiving the money in Aus.

Aus$ 360 per chip (about 150 quid).

One problem, you will get a Check Engine Light with his chip, although it is nothing to worry about. You can put a switch into the wire to the light if it bothers you.

The chip should give 16psi, raise fuel cut to 18psi, remove speed limiter, and tune for UK fuel.

It is better suited to a TD05 than a TD04 (need MBC to keep boost down with TD04).

I am having a few issues with mine but likely caused by poor installation (will update you on this next couple of days if you want).
Old 20 July 2004, 05:33 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

hi,

yes would like to be updated, i have the td04 turbo. was is the device u are talking about to keep the boost down? sorry, but this is all very new to me.

cheers
rob
Old 20 July 2004, 06:05 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

He is using an MBC (Manual Boost Controller) like a dawes device to control the boost as it would appear the VOS chip is mapped for the bigger TD05, therefore the boost map/solenoid duty map will not be suited to the TD04 as its boost characteristics are much different to the TD05 requiring the use of external boost control.

Cheers
Old 20 July 2004, 09:33 PM
JDM_Wrx
Scooby Regular

delboy,

in your honest opinion, would it be better for me to get a scoobyecu then? i have to say, i wouldn't be to happy with the check engine light staying on either. if you think so, when are the people who deal in these chips likely to be finished with totb3? thanks again for your help.

cheers
rob
Old 20 July 2004, 09:44 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Pavlo was creating a be-spoked map purely for Pre'96 cars fitted with the TD04 turbo which mainly seem to be JDM Wagons. TOTBIII is on the 1st August - until then I would assume they will be busy

Cheers
Old 20 July 2004, 11:20 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I have re-soldered my VOS chip (bracket) into place and it is working fine now.

I would have preferred a scoobyecu but the wait is long for the common variety (for TD05), the TD04 seems a long way off (perhaps). In fact I couldn't get a reply from anyone except an automated response once. I got the Vos chip as it was immediately available.

The Vos chip was developed for the EG20 on the legacy running a vf turbo of some sort (vf12 perhaps). The CEL issue is down to ECU compatability. The turbo it was set up for is bigger than the TD04 but smaller than the TD05.
It does spool up the TD04 too much too quickly, spiking at 18-19 psi. I used a dawes device to control this and keep the boost at 16psi.

You can put a switch into the ECU to turn the VOS chip on and off, and you can put a switch onto the CEL easily as well. Just normally run with the VOS on and the CEL off, you won't notice the difference except the power etc. If you have problems and need to check for faults then turn off the VOS and turn on the CEL.

I assume you do have a wagon as I believe these were the only JDM WRX's with TD04. I have one and after trying a few things I have bought myself a TD05 (arrived today) to go on it. The TD04 is great at bottom end power but I just like my car to pull harder as I get near the redline. Also, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the TD04 can only hold 12psi+ for a very short time.

I also have purchased a Z4 ECU... so in the near future, after I have installed the TD05, I will take the car to a RR and get a comparison between the Z4 and the VOS chip and get AFR, power etc. measure with each. Maybe early August.
Old 21 July 2004, 11:48 AM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

I have a VOS chip in the post for my 96wrx z4 ecu ..tbh i didnt know about the cel issue [alittle anoyed at that,but ive been trying 2 get a scooby ecu since november].I have 2 get some1 to fit it then ill post how i get on.
Old 21 July 2004, 02:12 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can supply just too busy with totb..

If people wish to collect then I can probably sort something
Old 21 July 2004, 06:02 PM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Hi Chaps

I am planning to go down the VOS route at the moment and have spoken to Adrian. I just have a few questions about what you guys have mentioned.

First up how do I find out what turbo my car has? (TD04, TD05 etc)

And how and where do you fit a switch to turn the VOS on and off?

Thanx
Old 21 July 2004, 07:55 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

What MY is your car & what model? Is it UK or JDM derived, also is the car a saloon or a wagon?

Cheers
Old 21 July 2004, 09:56 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Stooboy,
To turn the VOS chip on and off you have to connect a switch to the J1 resistor that you have to cut to activate the chip.

Adrian does not highly recommend putting a switch in as there can be interference from it to the ECU, but he says if you really want it you have to use shielded wire and keep the leads to the switch short.

I think the best bet is to put the switch very close to the ECU, perhaps in a box that you can access when you lift up the carpet. You wont want to turn it on/off often.

To know what turbo you car has you could look at what model it is. I think, and stand to be corrected, that all 93-96 JDM saloons were TD05. The 93-00 JDM wagons were TD04. All pre 97 UK cars are TD05 and 97-00 UK cars are TD04 (FE). Not sure about early STI models, I think the 97+ STI cars run VF turbos.

Mr Smash,

It doesn't matter which ECU you put the chip in as long as it is a 16-bit ECU (94-96 WRX). So putting one in the Z4 ECU or in an earlier ECU wont make any difference. If you have upgraded from an earlier ECU to the Z4 I think it would be best to put the chip in the older ECU and then select whichever ECU if you want to run to suit your needs. If you don't have another ECU you then no problem.
Old 22 July 2004, 09:06 AM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Hi Roojai

Thanx for the info. I have a MY94/95 jap import saloon so looking at what you have said its a TD05 which hopefully means I will not need a Dawes or MBC coz im running out of dosh what with all the relavent guages and bits I need prior to installing the chip. I think the switch is a great idea coz I was a bit warey of the CEL situation and checking fault codes.

Thanx Guys