changing fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2004, 10:22 AM
bear_12
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing fuel pump?

hi guys, was wondering any of you guys has change a fuel pump before,
do anyone know where l can get steps by steps to do it?

cheers
Old 05 July 2004, 12:21 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Smile

Originally Posted by bear_12
hi guys, was wondering any of you guys has change a fuel pump before,
do anyone know where l can get steps by steps to do it?

cheers
I did this at the weekend....Here goes....

1: Lower rear seat on Drivers side. Lift boot carpet. Remove dome shaped tin plate
2: Disconnect the white electrical connector. Run the car until it stalls
3: disconnect the fuel feed line by squeezing in the white tabs and gently wiggling the connector.
4: remove the 2 rubber hoses. carefully move all hoses to the side.
5: Undo all the 8mm nuts
6: Withdraw the float + pump assy taking care not to bend/break anything. As the assy comes out you will need to turn it to remove from the neck of the tank
7: on the assy. remove clips from the rubber hose coming from the pump itself
8: Grasp the pump and carefully pull up to release it from the isolator and the bracket. Disconnect the electrical connector and remove
9:If you are fitting a Walboro unit, you will want to cut the small 'resistor' thing off of the loom and just wire the new pump in directly to 12v
10: Refit in the reverse order

Hope this explains it clearly enough for you!

Richard
Old 05 July 2004, 12:34 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

dont forget the walbro has a different rubber 'seat' than the OE pump.

also- be careful putting it back in the tank (it can be bloody fiddly) I found removing was a peice of p1ss, but putting it back seemed far more awkward..

also make sure the rubber gasket for the tank cover is perfectly aligned or you will get a bit of vapour leak
Old 06 July 2004, 02:13 AM
bear_12
Scooby Newbie

Talking

thankx guys, lm just replacing a new OE in,think the old pump is gone.
thankx again
Old 06 July 2004, 01:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with removing the resistor.. that is to stop sparks if there is a lose connection.. kind of a good idea to keep that on as you are putting electrical connections in the fuel tank!!!!
Old 06 July 2004, 01:24 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
I disagree with removing the resistor.. that is to stop sparks if there is a lose connection.. kind of a good idea to keep that on as you are putting electrical connections in the fuel tank!!!!
Isn't that there to reduce the voltage to 9v when on cruise?
Old 06 July 2004, 01:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

not heard of that before..

if we are talking of the same thing then I believe it stopped the possibility of sparks..
Old 06 July 2004, 05:41 PM
SoNiCa
Scooby Regular

I'd changed my fuel pump without disconnecting(step 2 ) white connectors and then all fuel in rails gush out immidiately. I'd frightened so much because the engine and exhaust pipes were really hot. So I strongly suggest you not to skip that step

In my first setup I connected the resistor(condanstor) parallel to the power cables. After driving 500 miles I realize that the fuel pump whizing
too much and when hard cornering it cuts to supply fuel with quarter tank of fuel. Then I decided to remove the resistor and put the pump out again but nothing has changed. Walbro341 still cuts the fuel when hard cornering and still there is whinning sound. Also sometimes I belive that I'm running lean because of the big waves in the fuel tank. Someone here had suggested me to use OE pump filter with walbro but I dont know if there are others suffering with that problems like me.

Last edited by SoNiCa; 06 July 2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07 July 2004, 07:30 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoNiCa
I'd changed my fuel pump without disconnecting(step 2 ) white connectors and then all fuel in rails gush out immidiately. I'd frightened so much because the engine and exhaust pipes were really hot. So I strongly suggest you not to skip that step

In my first setup I connected the resistor(condanstor) parallel to the power cables. After driving 500 miles I realize that the fuel pump whizing
too much and when hard cornering it cuts to supply fuel with quarter tank of fuel. Then I decided to remove the resistor and put the pump out again but nothing has changed. Walbro341 still cuts the fuel when hard cornering and still there is whinning sound. Also sometimes I belive that I'm running lean because of the big waves in the fuel tank. Someone here had suggested me to use OE pump filter with walbro but I dont know if there are others suffering with that problems like me.
That is a good point and something I forgot about..

Refit the OE pump filter.. don't use the Walbro one.. problem with the Walbro one I think is it does not drop low enough into the tank and is smaller! so less pick up of fuel hence your problem..
Old 07 July 2004, 04:39 PM
bear_12
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thankx for the advices, did it last nite and its was easy didnt get in any trouble...car running fine now

thankx fiestaboy for the steps...

cheers
Old 28 September 2004, 09:04 AM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi, I tried to change my OE pump to the Wallbro one last night using the step by step guide in this thread but unfortunately I ran in to problems pretty quickly!! I am well aware that this is due to my mechanical inability rather than the guide missing anything as plently of other people have been able to make this change with no problems.

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
I did this at the weekend....Here goes....

1: Lower rear seat on Drivers side. Lift boot carpet. Remove dome shaped tin plate
2: Disconnect the white electrical connector. Run the car until it stalls
3: disconnect the fuel feed line by squeezing in the white tabs and gently wiggling the connector.
Having disconnected the electrical connector and tried to start the car I then get to the "fuel feed line" removal stage (3), but every time I squeeze the white tabs and remove the fuel line, petrol just pours out of the brown metal tube I have removed the fuel line from :O resulting in a coating of fuel all over the place!

I repeated this several times and fuel still kept coming out. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Should the flow of fuel stop after a while?

Thanks

Si
Old 28 September 2004, 12:16 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

The fuel system is still pressurised. Try turning over the ignition (with the pump disconnected) for a further five seconds and also remove the filler cap - this should help. You really shouldn't get more than a few drips of petrol when you take off the pipes.

It is also wise to disconnect the earth from the battery whilst working on the electrical system ;-)

Dibs
Old 28 September 2004, 12:30 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiWhite
Hi, I tried to change my OE pump to the Wallbro one last night using the step by step guide in this thread but unfortunately I ran in to problems pretty quickly!! I am well aware that this is due to my mechanical inability rather than the guide missing anything as plently of other people have been able to make this change with no problems.

Having disconnected the electrical connector and tried to start the car I then get to the "fuel feed line" removal stage (3), but every time I squeeze the white tabs and remove the fuel line, petrol just pours out of the brown metal tube I have removed the fuel line from :O resulting in a coating of fuel all over the place!

I repeated this several times and fuel still kept coming out. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Should the flow of fuel stop after a while?

Thanks

Si
As above, I had quite a lot of petrol spill out until I remembered to open fuel filler cap - then just got a few drips.
Old 28 September 2004, 06:29 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

And/Or just get an appropriately sized rod like a largish drill-bit, and jam the end of it up the pipe when you pull it off the tank.