Notices

TD05 work ok with my99 ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 05:20 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TD05 work ok with my99 ecu?

as above really. just wanting to know if it will safely work with my standard ecu
Old 23 June 2004, 05:31 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

drb5,

Depends what boost you run and what supporting mods. If you have the ae800 ecu I don't think it would be safe as this ecu runs leaner than later ecu's with more ignition advance. I've just fitted a vf34 to my my99, but I swapped to an ae802 ecu for the safer fuelling and timing. I also have an FSE FPR set at 3.5 bar static fuel pressure and walbro pump. AFRs with this setup (including induction/exhaust mods + Dawes MBC at 19psi) are 11.2-11.4:1 at WOT. I have a knocklink, deltadash, boost gauge and wideband AFR for monitoring. There's no reason you can't make it work safely, so long as you can monitor fuelling and for det, but I would strongly recommend fitting the ae802 ecu.

Let me know if you want any further advice on this (via PM or email)

Simon
Old 23 June 2004, 05:36 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

hmm. didn't want to keep the fpr, kl, afr and fuel pump if i didn't need to and as for the ecu change, na not interested. the only things fitted would have been exhaust, filter and dawes with fcd, but if all that has to be fitted to make it safe, then it's not for me. thanks
Old 24 June 2004, 08:55 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the TD05 can be run without an ECU remap up to a certain boost level, albeit riskily, but as Simon says, the AE802 would be a safer option (not very often that ECU gets recommended!). But how on earth would you know what level of boost to run without at the very least a Knocklink?

Isn't it worth having monitoring equipment, whatever the level of mods? Especially already having had an engine failure...? And if you've got a Dawes and FCD you're obviously considering raising boost to near fuel cut level... Just my opinion really. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid, and a few gauges in the cockpit, peace of mind.
Old 24 June 2004, 10:39 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Rich Wild runs a TD05 on his 97 - but I'm sure he'd recommend the supporting mods too...

Mark
Old 24 June 2004, 10:49 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Yeah, not exactly a like for like comparison, that...!
Old 24 June 2004, 12:03 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

err, no... Think I was suggesting that he might want to talk to Rich...

Maybe should've been a bit clearer though

Trending Topics

Old 24 June 2004, 12:13 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

it was just a quick question guy's. if it's not safe, then i won't do it, simple as that. yes, i do intend to run a bit higher boost and did used to have it close to fuel cut with decat, filter and dawes before with no engine monitors apart from boost gauge. just figured as i can run 1.3 bar just now with no probs really, so about 1.2 bar with dawes shouldn't be a problem, even on the 04?
Old 24 June 2004, 12:56 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

If you haven't got a Knocklink, how do you know you're running 1.3bar with no problems...? I recently had to reduce my boost from 18psi (1.24bar) to 17psi (1.17bar), due to ambers and occasional reds at 3500rpm WOT in higher gears. This is on a lightly modded MY00 with stock TD04, run on Optimax with no OB.

But if you're certain (through use of det cans for instance) that you're OK on 1.3bar, then yes, logically reducing the boost to 1.2bar isn't going to hurt...
Old 24 June 2004, 04:48 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

I'm confused now

drb, are we talking about 1.2-1.3 bar on a td04 or td05. The two boost levels are not comparable between turbos, you need to think in terms of airflow. A td05 will flow a hell of a lot more air than a td04 at any boost level due to the more efficient compressor heating the charge less and the larger exhaust turbine and housing reducing exhaust gas back pressure. In addition, the td04 will struggle to push 1 bar at 6000rpm and 0.8bar at 7000rpm, whilst the td05 will easily hold 1.3 bar all the way to the redline.

My standard fuel pump, even with a FPR set at 4bar, could not supply enough fuel for my VF34 holding 18psi in mid range and dropping to 15psi at 7000rpm. AFRs were around 12.4:1, which would get your EGTs high enough to melt something or cause serious det or preignition with sustained use

All fixed now with a Walbro pump

Simon
Old 24 June 2004, 05:39 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

looks like i have to elaborate on my situation a bit here. currently i have fitted to my my99:-
link ecu
ported headers
td05 fe
walboro fuel pump
fse fpr
apexi induction kit
revolution full 3 inch bore zorst
apexi avcr
je pistons
eagle rods
rcm uprated bearings
rcm uprated oil pump
samco hoses
and ngk pf6r plugs

i'm currently running 1.3 bar max boost in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears with 1st and 2nd gears overboosting nicely. i was running 1.4 bar fine till it started showing lights on kl, which is fitted along with neccisary afr, boost, oil temp and pressure gauges, so now it's been turned down to 1.3....by andyf 1.3 is safe and as in the next month or two, the car is being put back to practically standard, i figured i'd ask and see if the original ecu will do ok with the td05 fe if i took all the other parts off. the other parts are going elsewhere, so having the kl and afr not in the car is the thing i want. can't really be bothered changing the turbo's back over(got the 04 sitting there but it might be goosed), but if i have to i will. main thing is, i thought i'd ask and see if it was ok to run fine, but as it's plainly not, i will change them over
Old 24 June 2004, 05:52 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

I have recently fitted a TD05 FE to my g/friend's MY00 UK Turbo

Running 1 Bar boost on the 802 ECU - All 'seems' to be fairly safe.
KL only shows 2 greens at high RPM in 4th and 5th ( which it did with the TD04 anyway)
We are obviously monitoring knock and AFR values though.
To be on the safe side it's going to be mapped once the fuel pump and reg. have been fitted.

I guess the real question is - Can you afford not to be monitoring your engine's behaviour, seeing as it's not standard?
Old 25 June 2004, 10:16 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Fiestaboy

Are you using the oem narrowband sensor to monitor AFR or a "proper" wideband sensor. I thought fuelling looked ok using the narrowband sensor, but when I fitted the wideband it certainly wasn't. My EGTs must have been quite high in retrospect, as the NB sensor would start to fatigue over the space of a single WOT run from 2000-6500rpm. Also a quiet KL may not mean all is well if you have very high EGTs due to running lean. Overheating the cylinders can cause preignition (with or without detonation), and this is often silent, but destroys your engine even quicker.

Don 't mean to scaremonger, but would hate to see your engine let go before you get a chance to fit the pump and reg.

Simon