102 Ron Racing Fuel Unleaded

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2004, 06:35 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 102 Ron Racing Fuel Unleaded

Hi All

What are the benefits of using 102 as it is quite a lot more expensive than ordinary fuel ..... Ive been told its just a smoother ride and obviously better for avoiding any knocking cos then the car will be a rockin :>

Surely the ecu will advance timing and that should result in more power ... how much and is it noticable ???

Thanks

leeps
Old 11 June 2004, 07:12 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Why do you ask? - you WILL need to get the car mapped for this fuel especially as the temps that it burns at are a lot higher than normal fuel........... I know as I have used it.......

Ron is not the bee all........ you need to look for a fuel with a high oxygen content as well.........

There are better fuels than the race spec 102ron fuel - such as 76 racing fuels 106ron96mon (although you may not be able to get this anymore), the Sunoco - minimum 105ron, 95mon.....is also better

These sort of fuels will give you much more power than compared to say straight Optimax (about 30bhp more) but you will need to potentially change the sparkplugs and get the car mapped

Race fuel is the last step when you have pretty much done all other avenues due to the price constraints

A more convenient option would be to add a full bottle of NF (nowhere near as good as straight race fuel) or opt for a Meths mixture (max 20%)... - although Meths is the cheaper option as the Meths effectively costs nothing and it has a higher oxygen content for increased power (as you are substituting Meths for fuel at similar cost) its a pain and you have to get the % right to equate to the ECU map that you are using!!
Old 11 June 2004, 07:22 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

Interesting, first time I have heard that it burns at a higher temperature and a ecu remap is necessary ... So basically you are saying it will be detrimental for me to run straight 102 race fuel ????
Old 11 June 2004, 07:31 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It depends what fuel you are talking about leeps. As Fangoria says, the RON rating alone is only part of the equation.

It may not be detrimental as such, but at the same time you are unlucky to get full value from an exotic fuel unless you have your car mapped to run specifically on it.
Old 11 June 2004, 07:41 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

Sorry i should be more specific
102 ron unleaded shell
so would it be better running 98 ???
Old 11 June 2004, 08:31 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

102 ron unleaded shell?
I've heard of V power max which is 100 ron but not 102 ron?

If its Pump fuel you should be fine

If you just want it to run smoother and avoid det problems then if your car is standard then anything of 98ron and above should be ok.....if the car is standard I'd just stick with normal super unleaded

(not every car is the same though!!)

Had my car run up to 150mph with Det cans running on 98 ron fuel a few yrs back and there were no issues at all
Old 11 June 2004, 09:09 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

Interesting .... was just thinking in terms of det but also performance ...
So would the ecu not pick up the high quality fuel and advance timing ??
My car is slightly modded ... running 137 kw at the wheels ....
Old 11 June 2004, 09:11 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

forgot to add im in South Africa and the alternative is 93 ron or
a mixture to get 98 ron ...
Old 11 June 2004, 09:39 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

The ecu can adjust - but it probably wont be optimal

Thought it was usually the other way - the ecu retarding the ignition advance when it senses poor quality fuel - not sure how much it alters for better quality than the manufacturers setting as I dont know re SA?

Having been to SA several times I've never noticed any Scoobs - more the old banger looking VW's - i.e. the ones the rest of the world stopped making in the 1980's - and the amount of people that drive with rust buckets/dodgy wheel bearings is incredible...... cant remember fuel as you say it's the US rating of Ron/Mon over 2 so 93 is our Super at 98ish
Old 11 June 2004, 10:05 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

Yeah scoobs are picking up here in the SA ... still a lot to learn but a lot of owner use this site as it is great place to pickup info .... Most of the cars are pretty banged up due to the general population being poor and cars here being more expensive than the more developed countries ....

Are u sure about the octance rating ... isnt ur Super 98 ron .... our 93 is not equivalent ....

I think ur right im gonna use a mixture to get 98 rather than waste money on 102 ... its not jap mapped so why should it run better .... hmmmm

Thanks
Old 11 June 2004, 10:08 PM
leeps
Scooby Regular

Fangoria ext time u come down ... if u ever do ... email me and i can show u some of the SA scoobies .... hehe