Notices

boost all over place on sti

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2004, 08:17 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy boost all over place on sti

ive just got a 97 sti v3 the car has been running fine until now its got a decat exzorst,hks filter upratrd turbo it ran fine until this week when i drove it from cold or should i say when it came onto boost it seems to boost back then boost bak up again like sumone is standin on a hose pipe then takin there foot of again any pressure that stopped shoots threw like ithe turbo cuts or and restarts in a mil of a second its like juming ,spiking and a bit of a flat spot
it does it all the time now sumtimes nothin 4 a bit then it will be ok then got a boost gauge and when the needle goes up its like a little man grabbin the needle then pullin it back and lettin go it usally happens just before 0.5 bar every time please help it has got a dawes on it and ive started to run it on optimax and octane booster PLEASE HELP
Old 10 June 2004, 08:20 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

IF I DRIVE IT SLOWLY WHEN ITS WARM AND BOOST COMES UP SLOWLY ITS OK ITS WHEN DRIVING NORMAL IT PULLS BACK SOUNDS LIKE TURBO IS MAKIN A SUKIN OR BLOWIN NOISE WHEN WHEN DRIVEN HARD IT RUNS PERFECT
Old 10 June 2004, 08:26 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a18 ryk
IF I DRIVE IT SLOWLY WHEN ITS WARM AND BOOST COMES UP SLOWLY ITS OK ITS WHEN DRIVING NORMAL IT PULLS BACK SOUNDS LIKE TURBO IS MAKIN A SUKIN OR BLOWIN NOISE WHEN WHEN DRIVEN HARD IT RUNS PERFECT
AND ALSO HAS INCREASED IN POPPING OF THE ZORZT VERY REGULARLY
Old 10 June 2004, 09:27 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you are hitting boost cut? Is the fall of boost pressure very sudden and harsh?

Otherwise you may need to clean the boost solenoid, as when it gets a bit of oil mist in it doesn't control boost properly.

Have you got an atmospheric dump valve on the car? That helps cause the popping and banging when you lift off as it causes a rich mixture to go down the exhaust pipe!
Old 10 June 2004, 09:39 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Sounds like you are hitting boost cut? Is the fall of boost pressure very sudden and harsh?

Otherwise you may need to clean the boost solenoid, as when it gets a bit of oil mist in it doesn't control boost properly.

Have you got an atmospheric dump valve on the car? That helps cause the popping and banging when you lift off as it causes a rich mixture to go down the exhaust pipe!
if its cuttin why does it do it on low boost i can feel it pullin back on low boost then when it rises it jerks back then forward then flies when its at nearly one bar its ok runs sweet
Old 10 June 2004, 10:30 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

where is boost solinoid n whats it look like?
Old 10 June 2004, 10:53 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

where is boost solinoid n whats it look like?
It's a small brass colour cylinder with 2 or 3 small rubber pipes coming off it, it is bolted to the inner wing/ suspension turret on the drivers side,
There are some pics on scoobynet if you search for bost control solenoid or 3 port boost control solenoid.
Old 10 June 2004, 10:55 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

if its cuttin why does it do it on low boost i can feel it pullin back on low boost then when it rises it jerks back then forward then flies when its at nearly one bar its ok runs sweet
You may need to check your wastegate is working, bolted up, in case it's loose and openening when ever it likes? This is bolted to the turbo and should move a little.
Old 11 June 2004, 09:34 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

You say you're using a Dawes MBC? In which case, the wastegate solenoid won't be the cause of your problem, as you're not using it any more to control boost. The hose from it that used to connect to the T-piece should be tied up somewhere in the engine bay, with a small bolt in the end of it.

Make sure the hose connecting the Dawes to the compressor and wastegate actuator is OK, with no splits, and no gunk clogging it anywhere. Also check the breather hole in the Dawes isn't clogged. It may need re-drilling to make it slightly bigger.

As Vulnax999 says, might be worth checking the wastegate actuator arm is at the right tension, and that it can operate the wastegate OK.
Old 11 June 2004, 01:56 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

i took dawes of and it still did it could it be plugs or coil packs whatever they are
Old 11 June 2004, 02:54 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Are you using different hose for your when your Dawes is connected, and the hose to the wastegate solenoid is defintely plugged...?
Old 11 June 2004, 06:24 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

to me theres two things on wing the top has 2 hoses one planked of wich i did today as i thought this mite be a prob and the orther hose goes to the top of the induction pipe on the unit underneath a pipe from top of engine bay go,s to this with t in 4 boost gauge then its got a filter in then to unit then off that unit a pipe gos to a black unit then stops and these all have electrical plugs to them when i blanked solinoid off with hose n bolt it felt a little better but the problem still ther is it worth takin pipes off and cleanin them out? i pulled actuator arm out it feels ok an it makes a sukin noise wich to me when it drops off then fires back sounds like the arm goin forwards n back if that makes sense
Old 12 June 2004, 10:01 AM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 June 2004, 04:03 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

im desprate
Old 13 June 2004, 02:29 AM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 13 June 2004, 01:33 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

to me theres two things on wing the top has 2 hoses one planked of wich i did today as i thought this mite be a prob and the orther hose goes to the top of the induction pipe on the unit underneath a pipe from top of engine bay go,s to this with t in 4 boost gauge then its got a filter in then to unit then off that unit a pipe gos to a black unit then stops and these all have electrical plugs to them when i blanked solinoid off with hose n bolt it felt a little better but the problem still ther is it worth takin pipes off and cleanin them out? i pulled actuator arm out it feels ok an it makes a sukin noise wich to me when it drops off then fires back sounds like the arm goin forwards n back if that makes sense
Hmm these blanked off hoses, where do they go to / from? These may have been blanked off by previous owner or when Dawes was fitted ... and may be needed now or leaking air in or boost air out?

They should go somewhere, whether to the inlet pipes or manifold, boost control solenoid, MAP sensor, the other one I forget its name!

Search on here for 3 port boost control solenoid or similar, there were a few pictures of these to help find what was what.
Old 16 June 2004, 07:23 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

got new thread lower down or about