Notices

Another dying MAF + new air filter needed

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 09:22 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dying MAF + new air filter needed

I've owned my my00 turbo since january, car has done about 45,000 and is upto date with services. Over the last couple of months the car has started to run a little lumpy, hunting for idle, i was just in the middle of explaining to the girlfriend whilst going for a drive last night about the problems these cars have with the MAF sensor, when, i approached a roundabout, put down the clutch and car almost stalled, ignition lights came on, i quickly put it in second and released clutch to keep the car alive. This it then did several times throughout the journey. Also when i now park up the car, turn it off and leave it idling witht he turbo timer, the revs bounce from 1500 down to about 500 at which point it sputters to keep alive and the ecu bounces the revs back up again.

I've read many posts about dying MAF's lately, and i'm sorry to add to them but i just wanna make sure.

I know one way to tell is to have the car running and unplug the MAF sensor, the car should stall, is that correct? where is the maf sensor for me to unplug, does anyone have an underbonnet pic?

The car also has a Vortex Afterburner exhaust with magnex decat centre and ITG panel filter, i know this is not a recommended filter due to its oil content. So, if i have to replace the MAF sensor i may as well chuck this filter, i was thinking of going for the STI one from scooby mania at £47

http://www.scoobymania.co.uk/perform...o.asp?c=1#here

Is this a good price, and are these the same filters as the group buy that recently happened?

Also, where is the best place to get a new sensor, i live in the Bracknell area.

Many thanks for your help with this.

P.S i have a 5 star warranty with the RAC until Jan, it lists MAP sensor's as being covered, this is a different part though right?
Old 12 May 2004, 09:27 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't really help too much mate but when I went to Power Engineering to get my MY00 re-mapped they wouldn't touch the car until I junked the ITG filter.

My car hasn't done anything dodgy and I assume the MAF is ok but I've bought a replacement just in case. Also worth getting a Lamda too by all acounts as these have habbit of making the car misbehave.

I know what you mean though about all the MAF posts. Be nice to have a "Definitive guide" as to DIY "Is your MAF dead"
Old 12 May 2004, 09:31 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Try your local dealer, part 22794AA010 meter cp-airflow.
Should cost about £75.
The actual sensor is located just after the airbox, on the first straight piece of black induction pipe.

Also try checking for fault codes Clicky

Last edited by richiewong; 12 May 2004 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12 May 2004, 09:44 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

eddscott, seems no one likes these ITG's then eh! and yes it would be nice to have a DIY guide to MAF's

richiewong, many thanks for that, much appreciated!
Old 12 May 2004, 09:46 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Power engineerign also do a K&N for £40.50 inc vat, does anyone recommend or not recommend this compare to the STI?
Old 12 May 2004, 09:51 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Stick to the K&N panel, STi panel, or one of the Cotton Green fitlers. Soemwhere like Scoobymania, Xtreme Scobies or TSL will sort you out. They are only lightly oiled, where your ITG will be full of oily gunk, which eventually clogs your MAF. Not good.

If you look on your air box, there will be a black connector plug, going into a shiny plastic tube. The maf lives in there.

I would have little doubt that its dead. Be careful on boost until its replaced. Lambda's can cause this, but they will give poor fuel consumption, very sooty tailpipe etc...

MB
Old 12 May 2004, 09:52 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

PS, I use the cotton green one, but there's nothing in it between them.

MB
Old 12 May 2004, 09:57 AM
richiewong
Twatful

I managed to kill 2 MAF's running on a Blitz SUS then a Blitz LM induction kit within 4 weeks Stick with the original airbox with a good qaulity filter as mentioned and you should have no probs
Got a K&N in mine and, touch wood, never had any problems
Old 12 May 2004, 10:10 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

cheers Dark Blue Mark, what kind of price are the lambda sensors, may i should do this to, on the other hand i dont wanna just throw money away! well, the K&N seems cheeper, think i was only going STI for the name, it does look better quality but i'm sure it will do the same job.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:14 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Why do TSL quote the following on their website if they are known to be crap for MAF's?

ITG Performance Panel Air Filter

Ask any tuner, and they will tell you that better breathing is the way to elecit more horsepower safely, As the engine is effectively a pump, reliable gains are to be had by allowing it to breathe more effectively. More air in and more spent gasses out!

The ITG panel filter gives practically all the benefits of an induction kit but without any of the Mass Airflow Meter worries that these kits can bring. Simply replacing the standard panel filter can give up to a 5 BHP gain on the dyno. By retaining all standard induction hardware, we can ensure the management system is always seeing the precise amounts of airflow it is designed for.

The ITG also has a lifetime warranty, requiring only a clean every 30,000 miles.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:31 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I would draw your own conclusions on that statement Dont know why they still sell the, when they do the Green ones which are much better.

Ive used Power Engineering a fair bit - and I would follow their advice. The ITG is well known to be crap.

Re the 02 sensor, I personally think its good practice to change it every couple of years. Ok, it costs a bit but considdering a duff one can meant the difference between 40 miles less from a tank

You can get universal ones from catsdirect for £40, or on OE one from a dealer, or some of the tuners on here, although cost a lot more. I cant advise which you should go for, but many people are happily using the cheaper ones....

MB
Old 12 May 2004, 10:46 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

well i'll have a think about the lambda but for now i certainly need to order a new MAF and panel filter. xtreme scoobies seem to be doing the green cotton filter for the cheapest price by far, but dont do the K&N. (my prefered choice), neither do scooby mania and tsl just seem very expensive. think the green one it is, before anyone else advises not to.
Old 12 May 2004, 10:48 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

When you get the Green, it will actually be blue Just to confuse you... Knowlesy will sort you out.

MB
Old 12 May 2004, 10:59 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

yeah just spoke to him, seems a nice chap, he said K&N have no real difference, he also said he bought loads of Maf's recently from japan and they were being sold quite cheap as he got a good deal, guess what, all gone now! i'm more inclined to pay a few more quid and pick up the maf from SGT in taplow than have one shipped in the post to me seeing as they are so weak.

Knowlesy said the only thing with green and k&n is that they can fold up when under strain, ie, in ahigh power car, but i think u would need some serious power to suffer from that, he agreed.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:01 AM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

how easy is a new maf to fit as well? i dont mind doing a few bits but am not great with cars
Old 12 May 2004, 01:08 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stonkin
how easy is a new maf to fit as well? i dont mind doing a few bits but am not great with cars
You'll need security torx bits to change the MAF. ( I have a set )
I live in Taplow...just down the road from SGT...Don't mind changing your MAF for you if you like. 5 minute job!

Old 12 May 2004, 03:00 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

Fiesta Boy, thanks very much mate, ur offer is much appreciated, could have earnt yourself a beer then! I've just been down to SGT and they put it on the computer and diagnosed a faulty MAF, fitted it for free and gave me a standard filter to put in that was slightly old until my new paper type one turns up, reminds me, i must get on the phone to Knowlesy now and order that Green cotton one. The filter that was taken out wasnt actually an ITG, it was a Syms or is it Simms, i've never heard of them, what are they like, it was a foam type one so it's gonna go anyway.

Thanks very much for all the help and advice everyone has given me with this thread.

Old 12 May 2004, 03:20 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Good to see someone actually diagnose it being the MAF! What system did they use? You can do it on a select or Delta Dash if you know what you're looking for.

All's well that ends well...

MB
Old 12 May 2004, 04:31 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Ive used Power Engineering a fair bit - and I would follow their advice. The ITG is well known to be crap.
And of course you will have done a thorough comparison test on a range of filters before you came to this conclusion? Or is the comment based on what other people have said? IIRC the standard filter is good for 300bhp before it needs replacing! Also I e-mailed ITG and posted their reply on here many moons ago, it basically said "we have had no feedback re damaged MAF sensors on Subaru's said to be caused by our filters" I personaly have had one on my my/00 PPP for 10k miles and have had no MAF problems. Yes there is a small amount of oil in the bottom of the air box, but on the MAF side it is bone dry. IMHO most MAF sensor damage is caused by vibrations set up in the air flow due to non standard air boxes, or by being hit by minute particles of dust etc caused by poor filtration.
dave
Old 12 May 2004, 04:41 PM
Stonkin
Scooby Regular

thanks for your advise dark blue mark, they connected up what looked like a label printer but with a big screen showing figures, graphs etc to a connctor under the steering wheel, selected to monitor the MAF, reved the car a few times and did a few tests holding the revs at 2-2500 and the results on the graph showed it was just using the ecu to adjust things not the MAF, he also checked the lambda sensor but this was fine.

like you say, All's well that ends well...
Old 12 May 2004, 05:10 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Misty, I dont just go by what people say. All the advice I give on here is from my own experiences, from my own car There have been numerous thread in the past, which ive contributed to.

If you've used an ITG, you will know they contain a fair bit of gunk, which many other filters do not have. The gunk does serve a good purpose of capturing dirty particles, but its not good when it works through the filter, and coats the MAF. If your experience with the ITG is good, then fine, but im certainly not reccomending anyone using one. Especially after seeing the mess inside mine. You may also want to tell ower Engineering they are wrong too.

A lot of MAF failures can be caused by vibration, as you say,as well as the poor filtration from some of the cone filters. But coating them with gunk doesn't do too much either

Im sure ITG wouldn't mail you back telling you their filters were no good etiher.

And the 300bhp isnt relevant here, as Stonkin isnt asking about power gains...

MB
Old 12 May 2004, 05:51 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, I can only go on what other people say. I bought a K&N induction kit prior to visiting PE. When I got thier I was told they wouldn't do the re-map with the ITG filter. I gave them the K&N but it wasn't right for an MY00 Impreza.

They checked to see if the MAF was dead but they said it was fine and it still is as far as I can tell but I have bought a new one and a new lamda - the ITG had been in a while so who knows. Fit both and ECU reset just to be on safe side.
Old 12 May 2004, 08:53 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=EddScott]Well, I can only go on what other people say. I bought a K&N induction kit prior to visiting PE. When I got thier I was told they wouldn't do the re-map with the ITG filter. I gave them the K&N but it wasn't right for an MY00 Impreza.
QUOTE]

ITG used to be the panel filter of choice at Scoobysport. I was told the ITG has a wax, ( or very thick oily stuff ) that was NOT dragged into the air stream / onto the MAF, as it was too thick.

I have had one on my import WRX for 3 1/2 years ( 40,000 miles! ) and no problem, no MAF issues anyway.

AFAIK, the only induction items to avoid are induction kits / cones ( heavy ones with no support at least, ) and those ugly stainless steel ones with the big pores in, which shot blast the MAF and pebble dash the turbo compressor wheels.

I would say the STi panel filter is about the best compromise for filtration, flow, noise, MAF protection and suitability for the scooby!

V