Notices

swooooosh sound when taking off??

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2004, 08:37 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question swooooosh sound when taking off??

Hi guys,
had a look at my mates scooby today, fairly standard xcept apexi full decat exhaust and an extraordinary sound upon hard accelaration...its like a jet taking off.....kinda shhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH and then change gear then it happens again shhhhHHHHHHHHHHH get louder the harder he accelarates he's got everything standard except a funny lookin dump valve or blow off valve which has a steel pipe connected to it and has mounting brackets fixed to the intercooler everything else is standard??? what is this sound its awesome!!!! plz sumone must know???

cheerz,

suhail.......
Old 06 May 2004, 08:40 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the induction kit sucking the air in, or a re-circ valve? i go for induction kit.

jamo
Old 06 May 2004, 08:42 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Could be the de-cat downpipe, got one on my car, and i think the sound your on about is the turbo spulling up.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:45 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Watch out for induction kits on MY99/00 cars as they are prone to knacker your MAF sensor up, replaced my MAF a month ago, heard on here about them knackering your engine, and in my eyes not really worth the hassle for so little performance gain.
Old 06 May 2004, 09:21 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

hmmmm, cant be the induction kit it has the standard airfilter so thas not possible i think....must be a recirculating dump valve but i'm not sure it wud make such a sound or wud it? possible down pipe coz sum1 else did mention that its the turbo spulling up n it sure does sound like the turbo coz when he pushes it into 4th gear n is driving below 3000rmp u cant hear it until the turbo kicks in....ne more views on this???
yea i heard bout the maf sensor f**ing up too but this is a jdm my 94wrx import so i doubt it's that....plz guys i need to know wut this is exactly, if it's the down pipe ill have one fitted on mine!! wut down pipe do u have mate? how many inch??
Old 06 May 2004, 09:24 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Could be the de-cat downpipe, got one on my car, and i think the sound your on about is the turbo spulling up.
oh and the sound its extremely loud can hear him taking off on the next block late at nite!!! wow!!!
Old 06 May 2004, 09:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Lol, bet he's popular with the neighbours. If you see him driving round with white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, you'll know the noise is caused by his turbo being in the process of sh*tt*ng itself.
Old 06 May 2004, 09:43 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
Lol, bet he's popular with the neighbours. If you see him driving round with white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, you'll know the noise is caused by his turbo being in the process of sh*tt*ng itself.
lol,too right haha....although i doubt its that, i think it's the turbo spooling up as scoobyboy1 said, must be his downpipe although the doughnut don't seem to know nothing bout his car lol....
Old 06 May 2004, 09:54 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wrxtasy
hmmmm, cant be the induction kit it has the standard airfilter so thas not possible i think....must be a recirculating dump valve but i'm not sure it wud make such a sound or wud it? possible down pipe coz sum1 else did mention that its the turbo spulling up n it sure does sound like the turbo coz when he pushes it into 4th gear n is driving below 3000rmp u cant hear it until the turbo kicks in....ne more views on this???
yea i heard bout the maf sensor f**ing up too but this is a jdm my 94wrx import so i doubt it's that....plz guys i need to know wut this is exactly, if it's the down pipe ill have one fitted on mine!! wut down pipe do u have mate? how many inch??

And again in English....

Hmmmm, can't be the induction kit, it has the standard airfilter so that's not possible, I think. Must be a recirculating dump valve; but I'm not sure it would make such a sound - or would it? It's possibly the down pipe because someone else did mention that it's the turbo spooling up- and it sure does sound like the turbo, because when he pushes it into 4th gear and is driving below 3000rpm you can't hear it until the turbo kicks in. Any more views on this?
And yes, I heard about the maf sensor f**ing up too, but this is a jdm my94 wrx import so I doubt it's that. please guys, I need to know what this is exactly; if it's the down pipe, I'll have one fitted on mine!! What down pipe do you have mate? How many inches?

Old 06 May 2004, 10:00 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Its your dump valve my friend

All depends on how its set-up
Old 06 May 2004, 10:01 PM
wheelie_sti
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb ...its like a jet taking off

...its like a jet taking off.....kinda shhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH and then change gear then it happens again shhhhHHHHHHHHHHH get louder the harder he accelarates ..
Have the exact same sound matey ... and no dump valve, had a prodrive panel filter kit fitted by the dealer a month ago ... the sound is stunning the harder you push.

Oh yes !!

wheelie_sti
Old 06 May 2004, 10:03 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Sorry Bubba Po,
i din't know we had to use perfect english on scoobynet but i shall do so from now on, sorry for the inconvenience caused....too used to sending txt messages lol !! anyways, can you help me in anyways mate??
Old 06 May 2004, 10:04 PM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,
had a look at my mates scooby today, fairly standard xcept apexi full decat exhaust and an extraordinary sound upon hard accelaration...its like a jet taking off.....kinda shhhhhHHHHHHHHHHH and then change gear then it happens again shhhhHHHHHHHHHHH get louder the harder he accelarates he's got everything standard except a funny lookin dump valve or blow off valve which has a steel pipe connected to it and has mounting brackets fixed to the intercooler everything else is standard??? what is this sound its awesome!!!! plz sumone must know???

cheerz,

suhail.......
I dont have one but read somewhere that you can buy a HKS SSQV( dont quote me on that last bit )!! which can be mounted to the ic and is the shape of a bullet??!! I think that makes a mental noise along with the induction kit and increased exhaust flow. I may be wrong

Johnny
Old 06 May 2004, 10:05 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wheelie_sti
Have the exact same sound matey ... and no dump valve, had a prodrive panel filter kit fitted by the dealer a month ago ... the sound is stunning the harder you push.

Oh yes !!

wheelie_sti

hmmmmm,
anyone know for sure?? What is it ?? induction kit , dump valve or downpipe?
Old 06 May 2004, 10:07 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny sti
I dont have one but read somewhere that you can buy a HKS SSQV( dont quote me on that last bit )!! which can be mounted to the ic and is the shape of a bullet??!! I think that makes a mental noise along with the induction kit and increased exhaust flow. I may be wrong

Johnny
you know what johnny,
you might be right, coz this guy does have something the shape of a bullet but i wouldnt say its mounted to the ic?? i'll take a pic of it tomorrow, maybe it'll help?? i have an hks ssqv on my wrx and it doesnt sound like that soooo

Last edited by wrxtasy; 06 May 2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The dump valve would only make a noise when the driver lifts off the throttle, so if the noise can be heard under acceleration, it can't be the DV. Unless, of course, it's the DV that's f*cked, and it's leaking under boost.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:12 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Its your dump valve my friend

All depends on how its set-up
It's not the down pipe nor a BOV - it's an induction kit. I have one and it makes exactly the same sound. It's so rude that I feel like I need a proper cockney acccent and a subscription to Max Power. Old people hate it but I like it.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:16 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
The dump valve would only make a noise when the driver lifts off the throttle, so if the noise can be heard under acceleration, it can't be the DV. Unless, of course, it's the DV that's f*cked, and it's leaking under boost.
uhuh,
thats right because the noise can only be heard under hard accelaration not when the driver lifts off the throttle, so i'm putting my money on the downpipe after what scoobyboy1 said, i'm just waiting for someone to confirm this.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:17 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark*b
It's not the down pipe nor a BOV - it's an induction kit. I have one and it makes exactly the same sound. It's so rude that I feel like I need a proper cockney acccent and a subscription to Max Power. Old people hate it but I like it.

but this guy has the standard scooby filter?? anyways, what induction kit do you have?
Old 06 May 2004, 10:18 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Without actually hearing the fooking car, none of us can confirm exactly what the noise is, especially from your description. To be honest the best people to identify it are you and your mate, as you are the only two people with first-hand access to the car.

There are a number of things it could be, from an unlagged downpipe to a vibrating heatshield to a knackered turbo, as speculated above.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:27 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Got my downpipe from Hayward & Scott, its a openneck one and i paid £227 inc vat, dont know what inch it is but when i phoned up they said if you already have the original cat downpipe then it would fit straight on. also you get a lot of pops and bangs like a rally car, which is good if you want to scare some people when driving past. The telephone for Hayward & Scott is 01268 727256
Old 06 May 2004, 10:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a knackered turbo. is it a metallic noise?
Old 06 May 2004, 11:05 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

JJ

I would disagree because a lagged down pipe does give of a metallic type sound when spooling up, if it was unlagged aswell the sound from the turbo spooling must be quite loud. I would go with the full de-cat and unlagged downpipe
Old 06 May 2004, 11:07 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

............................ooh and one of those silly sounding valves

Old 07 May 2004, 06:54 AM
K9VYN
Scooby Regular

i've heard an Evo sounding like a jet under hard acceleration up the straights at Cadwell Park. Awesome sound - assumed it was induction kit! my car doesn't make that noise since i had FMIC and VTA fitted. if its not a recirc dumper and induction kit (as previously fitted to mine), then i have no clue as to what it could be.
Old 07 May 2004, 08:36 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Just found this thread and the first thing that springs to my mind is what happened to my ex-boss some years ago with his Rover 220 Coupe Turbo (Tomcat). He came into work one afternoon and asked my opinion on this whooshing noise coming from under the bonnet and a drop in power. Turned out that one of the jubilee clips on the main boost pipe had broken and the charge air was not going where it should, hence all the noise in the engine bay.

You dont mention if there has been a drop in power since the noise first became apparent so I would suggest checking all the boost hoses and making sure none are split and all the connection points are nice and tight.

Then again, taking a car to someone who knows your make and model inside out will be the easiest thing to do and money well spent.
Old 07 May 2004, 09:27 AM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

alright then,
thanx guys, i'll have the car with me this evening so i'll take some pics of the engine bay and post them, as far as i know it's the fastest scooby i've sat in to date so no lack in power . Your right greasmonkey can't identify the sound unless you guys hear it, is it possible to post video clips? If yes then can someone tell me how? i might just get the damn thing on video !!
Old 07 May 2004, 10:47 AM
ZippyEFC
Scooby Regular

My car does this as well. It sounds like the sucking noise an induction kit makes but it isn't as the car has the standard airbox. Its not the downpipe as it made the same noise with the standard system. The dumpvalve is the original recirculating one so i doubt its that. The car runs brilliantly with no loss of power at all so i doubt very much it has a leaky hose. Hmmm any more thoughts,my car is a MY99 Type R?
Old 07 May 2004, 11:03 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
in my eyes not really worth the hassle for so little performance gain.
I agree, what the point in spending £100ish quid on a performance mod that won't give u much addiational power, but is more likely to knacker your engine!
Old 07 May 2004, 11:49 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Ever since my H & S Downpipe has been fitted the hiss/whoosh as I accelerate is very loud.. when driving down walled streets it always makes me grin

My money's on that.

Quick Reply: swooooosh sound when taking off??