Notices

Rear Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2004, 09:53 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Bumper Removal

Has anyone taken off the rear bumper of a 99? Missus hit me up the rear and has pushed the bumper in about an inch on one side. I think its probably repairable. I did put on a towbar last year (luckily or half the ar*e of the car would have been jiggered) but I know there has to be an easier way than the way I did it. I seem to remember two rails which went into the chassis had something to do with it. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm going senile.

Thanks Pat
Old 17 April 2004, 02:08 PM
MiGi
Scooby Regular

Took mine off the other day cos it was a tiny bit not level (turned out to be a very minor bend in the beam that supports the bumper)

Its fairly easy to remove....

From Memory...(not so good)

16 fixings in total...

There are 13 clips to remove most can be reached from the top but I think 4 of them need you to go under the car, if I remember rightly its easier to push all the clips out from underneath the car (the three in the middle at the top are a pain as u will see)

You also have to take the rear lights off, which is easy enough (5 nuts on each which you get by pulling the trim of the covers them in the boot). My cars a jap import and the lights were sealed using this really sticky black gunk stuff which means you have to pull quite hard to get the lights off, not sure if this is the same with the UK cars.

There are two screw clips one on either side of the bumper at the rear of the wheel arches.

Lastly on my car there was a bolt in the middle at the bottom that connects the bumper to numberplate holder and chassis (not sure if this is the same on uk cars either)

Once you've done all that just pull it off

Its alot easier to break the clips to get them off and at about £10 for a new set its not really worth trying to re-use them cos its a pain getting ALL of them out in one piece lol

good luck
Old 30 April 2004, 09:56 AM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

MIGI thanks m8.
Sorry I've taken so long to reply, I've been away for a while without access to a computer. You just described how I took the thing off the first time. I thought there might have been an easier way. I seem to remember that putting it back on was the tricky part. Maybe the towbar is in the way. Anyway thanks again

Pat
Old 30 April 2004, 03:49 PM
JusH
Scooby Regular

I took mine off (when fitting a tow bar) by removing the six bolts on the two chassis rails that support the bumber frame (and tow bar frame). One of these also supports an exhaust fixing.

Also needed to remove the clips (one or two on each side) that attach the bumper to the wheel arch and the connectors for the reg plate light. After that, the whole lot should just slide off.
Old 02 May 2004, 05:56 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

That sounds more like it. I knew there had to be an easier way. Thanks m8

Pat
Old 04 May 2004, 01:54 PM
JusH
Scooby Regular

No problem. Also just remembered this article I looked at when I did it:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ht=rear+bumper