Notices

BP Ultimate ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 05:22 PM
toofast toostupid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BP Ultimate ?

Not sure if you guys have had a previous discussion about this, but is the new BP fuel as high RON or higher than Optimax ? (98) it is 85p a litre round my way, where optimax is 81p so it should be a higher RON right ? I have not tried it yet, was just wondering if anyone else has ?
Old 15 April 2004, 05:37 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

BP Ultimate is 97RON M8

Cheers
Old 15 April 2004, 05:45 PM
toofast toostupid
Scooby Regular

cool, but why so expensive normal super is 97 ron they will never sell it at over 5p a littre more than normal super ?

cheers
Old 15 April 2004, 06:46 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

Bp are fools They could have cornered the import market by going to 99 or 100 RON
Instead its SUL with fairy liquid in it AFAIK

Cheers Grant
Old 16 April 2004, 09:00 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

it is 85p a litre round my way, where optimax is 81p so it should be a higher RON right ?
That's a bit naive isn't it...?! Unfortunately, things aren't usually as black and white as that mate...
Old 16 April 2004, 09:14 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Ultimate lights up the knocklink.....

Optimax doesn't......
Old 16 April 2004, 10:17 AM
toofast toostupid
Scooby Regular

"That's a bit naive isn't it...?! Unfortunately, things aren't usually as black and white as that mate... "

not realy mate, think about it. Optimax is the best grade fuel for cars in the UK and is 3p a litre more than regular unleaded. It is more efficient better for the atmosphere etc. If BP is a whole 4p more expensive than Optimax and offers no additional benefits then no one will buy it ! I can't believe that BP would release a product thats has no benefits over its only major rival at 4p a litre more ? All the stuff on the web site (cleans your car, better for the environment) Optimax also says this ? so surely BP must offer some sort of benefit for the motorist cause it certainly is not the price or the RON value !

If both fuels are 98 ron and my car does not run any different on the two fuels ill go for the cheaper one me thinks !

cheers guys
Old 16 April 2004, 11:59 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

As previously stated, BP are idiots. They must have spent a fortune on their marketing campaign, and so by the time Ultimate came out, you'd have thought it would be worth both the wait, and the extra money. But it wasn't and isn't. It's no better than their original Super Plus Unleaded. And it's definitely no better than Optimax. I just wish there were more Shell filling stations in the area.

If you want to do a comparison, get a Knocklink, increase your boost, and try a couple of tanks of each. Pay close attention to the Knocklink activity, particularly at around 3500 rpm in 5th gear WOT... you'll never touch Ultimate again (without octane booster anyway)...
Old 16 April 2004, 04:22 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Xtreme and The Judge --> I'm VERY glad you mention knocklink activity with BP Ultimate - because I've noticed exactly the same symptoms on my TEk3 MY02, and was beginning to get quite worried about it and perhaps detune the map permanently.

I've never had the problems with Optimax, but had assumed that was simple luck, or ambient temperature or something...