Notices

Car cuts out when clutch is dumped. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2004, 08:47 PM
glync
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cuts out when clutch is dumped. HELP!!

I have a Japanese Impreza MY01 (bugeye) car GX model (non turbo).

Over the past month the car has been cutting out… this only occurs when the engine is warm and when you are coming to a stop. If the car is at a stand still the car runs fine and it doesn’t cut out. It only cuts out when you dump the clutch when stopping the revs drop off to zero and it cuts out. Some times the revs drop to zero then bounce back up quickly and can find its idle position @ 500RPM ok.

The car had a full service today and was also connected to a diagnostic machine which report no faults held in the ECU.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers Glyn
Old 15 April 2004, 08:54 PM
chrisbridge
Scooby Regular

I had this problem once on a golf gti, the thrust washers had fallen off the crankshaft and everytime i pressed the clutch the pressure plate pushed the crankshaft forward and it touched the block causing it to stop the engine.
don`t know what kind of thrust washers subaru`s have so i don`t know if this can happen. its just a thought.
chris
Old 15 April 2004, 09:08 PM
glync
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Chris,

I have also been told it could be either the MAF, idle sensor or the clutch slipping (basically on its way out).

I was hoping today when the diags were run it would pick up something but it was clean as a whistle, no faults found! Am I right in saying that if it was the MAF or idle sensor some errors would have been logged in the ECU?

Really not sure what to do next.... I guess I'm hoping for a magic answer!!! :-)
Old 15 April 2004, 09:17 PM
chrisbridge
Scooby Regular

i would have thought you`d get some fault codes of some sort, the electronic side of things is not my strongest point i have to admit, i must say that when i had the problem with the golf i`d never seen it before and i`ve never seen it since. i just got somebody to press the clutch for me while i looked at the front pulley. it nearly came out through the inner wing.
chris.
Old 15 April 2004, 10:30 PM
glync
Scooby Regular

Was also told that it could be the idle control valve... a guy from car-torque.net has the exact problem with two vauxhall GSI's.. turned on the cure was to give it a good clean...

Does anyone know if the scoob has a idle control valve fitted?
Old 16 April 2004, 10:21 AM
DPat
Scooby Regular

Almost always turns out to be a failing MAF - has to be really bad before the ECU code comes up

Do a search on MAF failure or try reading the voltage received at the ECU

DPat
Old 16 April 2004, 11:22 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

In my old Nissan was idle control valve so my vote goes there (or may be idle control valve sensor).
JIM
Old 16 April 2004, 04:39 PM
glync
Scooby Regular

Idle sensor or control valve is what I was thinking it could be...

However the MAF could be the cause... reason being I have run my car with a GREEN panel filter for the past 5 months with no problems at all. I changed this over to a Blitz SUS induction kit... I didnt change the pipe work at all so the MAF stayed connected to its orginal position I just had the cone filter. The car ran fine for about three weeks with the Blitz on until I took it for a 150 mile journey where it cut out for the first time. Ever since then it cuts out 50% of the time when the engine is warm and I dump the clutch to come to a stand still.. it never cuts out when the car is stopped when either warm or cold. Nor does it cut out when the engine is cold. I then thought it could be the MAF due to the Blitz. So I put the air box back in with the green panel filter reset the ECU and the problem remained!

So after that story I wasnt sure if the Blitz SUS damaged the MAF even though the MAFs are meant to be better then the ones on some older scoobs...